2018/19 Marco Silva

D410

Player Valuation: £50m
Well they're never going to come out and publicly state the league position they expect us to finish in are they? That would be crazy.

I've said it before but people's idea of transition is laughable. People love to say they'll accept transition but they hate the reality of it. There was a post on here yesterday saying that transition and inconsistency was fine, as long as it was the sort of inconsistency that saw us get 70 odd points and only lose 6 games all season. That's never happening. Other people would seemingly accept transition which meant that we finished 10th as long as we played beautiful football every game and only dropped points due to bad luck and poor refereeing. Again, it's fanciful stuff. Real transitional seasons involve the manager trying to work out who he likes and who he doesn't, trying out people in different positions and different formations which might fail badly, players falling out with the manager because they don't like his methods or they feel like they're not getting the games they deserve, and previous regulars in the side being phased out and other people needing to step up to the plate. It's not often just a nice seamless change with the occasional hiccup which is what some people to expect, it's a process which usually involves getting worse before you get better.
My view is that the board will not tell us our club performance targets because they are incompetent and unwilling to show leadership and transparency from the top. The end result of that is the fans run out the managers because the board are cowering under the table.

"We have to get worse before we get better" - sounds like your making excuses for lack of capability and execution at the management level.

Lanolin

Player Valuation: £35m
My view is that the board will not tell us our club performance targets because they are incompetent and unwilling to show leadership and transparency from the top. The end result of that is the fans run out the managers because the board are cowering under the table.

"We have to get worse before we get better" - sounds like your making excuses for lack of capability and execution at the management level.
No they won't tell us their performance targets because it would be a terrible idea! It's a lose lose situation for them, if they say realistically they're aiming for 8th this year then everybody says there's no ambition, if they try to show ambition by saying 6th then everybody says we're failing by not getting there and wants the manager sacked. It's a preposterous idea, and nobody does it.

Also if you're going to put something in quotation marks it's best that it least vaguely resembles the quote. I'm not saying we have to get worse to get better, nor am I saying we definitely will get better, or that I think Silva is the answer. What I was saying is that this season has been exactly what a 'transitional season' usually is. It could almost be used as a definition for the term, and yet loads of people who claimed they were happy for us to have such a season are whining about it.

D410

No they won't tell us their performance targets because it would be a terrible idea! It's a lose lose situation for them, if they say realistically they're aiming for 8th this year then everybody says there's no ambition, if they try to show ambition by saying 6th then everybody says we're failing by not getting there and wants the manager sacked. It's a preposterous idea, and nobody does it.

Also if you're going to put something in quotation marks it's best that it least vaguely resembles the quote. I'm not saying we have to get worse to get better, nor am I saying we definitely will get better, or that I think Silva is the answer. What I was saying is that this season has been exactly what a 'transitional season' usually is. It could almost be used as a definition for the term, and yet loads of people who claimed they were happy for us to have such a season are whining about it.
"A loose lose situation for them"....is it them vs us then? I mean I thought this was one club....Millions of pounds flowing through the club and we have no bottle at the top of the table to have clear targets.....they should be run out of the club for that alone.

toffee-L

Player Valuation: £8m
I agree with the crux of what you're saying but i'm not entirely sure we can say Pickford isn't to blame for our set piece woes. Clearly it's not all on him by any means, but a keeper who took a bit more command and made the same decisions on a regular basis would definitely help. At the moment an identical free kick or corner could be taken 10 times and he'd come for 5 and stay for 5. That doesn't make it easy for the defenders to do their jobs, and definitely plays a part in us conceding.
Totally agree mate, I should have worded it better but the point I was making was that Pickford wasn't completely accountable for the way the manager organises us from set pieces. But of course, the playing squad do need to take their shame of the blame for how bad we've been on set plays, let's just hope that is in the past now!

Lanolin

Player Valuation: £35m
"A loose lose situation for them"....is it them vs us then? I mean I thought this was one club....Millions of pounds flowing through the club and we have no bottle at the top of the table to have clear targets.....they should be run out of the club for that alone.
I don't even know where you're going with this now but it's nothing to do with what I was saying so i'll bow out.

Thomasc

Formerly known as By God I'm Blue
Top of my head:

Cost us

3 points away to Wolves
3 points versus West Ham
1 point versus Leicester when Vardy hits the winner
1 point versus Liverpool at the first derby
3 points versus Newcastle
Wolves absolute nonsense IMO, ditto Leicester.

You actually forget the calamity between him and Zouma when we were in front against Spurs.

Ok now show us your workings on how many points we have thrown away that can be accredited to the manager for the interests of balance. :)

brieverton

Player Valuation: £25m
I don't think it would be wise to have a league finishing position target made public, if one exists at all. No other club does that and with good reason.

I would be more concerned if there wasn't an internal target but with Brands on board I would expect that to be covered. I put a lot on his shoulders in terms of taking overall responsibility and providing direction, let's see how he does over the next few years in that regard.

It's quite simple really - Silva will either meet, exceed, or fail to meet any boardroom expectations that may be regarding his tenure here. As much as measurement is necessary - it's all public anyway in terms of league position and cup progress.

I don't think any bar charts will be necessary to assess Silva - as long as Brands feels he is doing an acceptable job within limitations and nobody perceived to be a better bet comes over the horizon, then he will be staying here.

I think Silva has come close once or twice this season to avoid a critical mass of bad results piling up - the games against Huddersfield and Cardiff were fortunate in their timing but I would be surprised if there were serious doubts about him quite yet.

BigBlueNose

Player Valuation: £70m
Question for the anti Silva fans.

If we beat West Ham next Saturday will you stop moaning and posting the same thing over and over again and give him a bit of credit for doing some good things?
you confuse me so so so so much ...

give your head a wobble

your sat right at the front of the silva out bus !

Season has been a massive failure under silva. 45mins against Chelsea isn’t changing that. They should have been out of sight at half time.

If he doesn’t get 7th he should be fired.
Spot on.

We are 31 matches in and still haven't managed to perform well for a full game all season. We could have easily have been 3 or 4 down in the first half against Chelsea and we would have undoubtedly capitulated had that have happened and suffered yet another embarrassment. There have been snippets and half's here and there of us playing well at points of the season but it isn't anywhere near good enough. No consistency whatsoever.

A decent half which resulted in a win against a below par Chelsea is great and gave us all some long overdue satisfaction and excitement but we cannot get complacent and forget just how poor this season has truly been. There are still 7 games remaining and we have to win 3 of them just to get the same points tally as last season under the poor leadership of Koeman, Rhino and Allardyce. After what we have seen this season, we could be poor again in the next game. It is impossible to know which Everton will turn up.

For me, he is going to have to win practically all of the remaining games and show some consistency and forward progress for me to even consider the thought of him deserving another season.

I hope he does it but we will have to see. In the meantime, once bitten twice shy.

blueblue

Just by having a consistent GK we'd be 10-15 points better off this season. Silva was also denied a striker all season (Richarlison might be able to play there in a pinch, but he was always bought for wide left).

There's something to this manager. He's shown it in games against very good teams. We were the better team over the two fixtures against Chelsea. Arsenal game we played very well. The first half down there we created a lot of chances and then fell away second half (I fancy us to get a result against them in the return fixture). Liverpool - the two derbies were evenly matched and we probably deserved a draw in both. United we were always in that game and if the likes of Bernard, Gomez and Sigurdsson had taken their chances we'd have won. Against City we were in both games and created chances. Spurs - the two games against them were appalling and we deserved nothing. But that was the only one we struggled badly in.

I think that tells a story: Spurs apart, Silva's Everton team can play well when we dont have to generate the intensity and we can drop back and nullify and then get going. Against other teams we dont have the attacking prowess down the right flank to match the left flank's, and we dont have a striker who can lead the line and snap up unlikely goals.

Give Silva that addition to the attack and we'll do a whole lot better next season.
I agree with nearly all of what you say there apart from the first line.
Pickford, as all young players do, has had a couple of hiccups this season but we saw against Chelsea just how good he is.
Experience will help him reduce his mistakes even further and we can all point at mistakes made by every single keeper in a season...no matter how good they are.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.