• B

• C

• D

• E

• F

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am coming round to the idea that Marco Silva can manage a top flight club, I worry that his style will be one dimensional. When he gets the players in he needs, or maybe that should be if he gets the players in he needs to play the style of football he wants I think we will be much better off than we are now. However I am concerned he is another manager with a Plan A and when that is countered by the better sides he won't be able to change and find another way of winning.
I have no doubt that our top brass will be happy with 44 points plus this season and will stick by him for next year. The question is "will they invest in him".

Except the teams above us would be saying exactly the same things wouldn’t they? So unless this alternate reality was heavily biased in our favour, it would make no difference.
Please can someone make an alternate reality league thread, not for teams but for posters who use alternate realities to win arguments, it would be boss at the end of the season to see who the most deluded poster is.

Of course they have, it's just not on your radar because you don't support them. Huddersfield have only won 3 games all season and 2 of them were against Wolves. Wolves have also lost to Cardiff and only drew with Fulham. Without even looking at any other games I'm pretty sure they reckon they should be 11 points better off just from those fixtures.
Wolves first season in the Prem so their fans will forgive the odd slip, beating Man U to make the semi finals will I'm sure will make up for those. Brighton beating Millwall didn't improve my weekend though. If your content with mid table mediocrity I'm sure Silva won't let you down if he stays.

Wolves first season in the Prem so their fans will forgive the odd slip, beating Man U to make the semi finals will I'm sure will make up for those. Brighton beating Millwall didn't improve my weekend though. If your content with mid table mediocrity I'm sure Silva won't let you down if he stays.
I think you've forgotten the point you're trying to make so we'll leave it there.

I think you've forgotten the point you're trying to make so we'll leave it there.
My point was that the effort shown Saturday second half and against the rs would have put us in a far better position. Silva can't get the team consistently playing to that level. If your happy with a Derby performance followed by a Newcastle....West Ham will be interesting.

My point was that the effort shown Saturday second half and against the rs would have put us in a far better position. Silva can't get the team consistently playing to that level. If your happy with a Derby performance followed by a Newcastle....West Ham will be interesting.
No, your point was that if we'd won all the games you think we should have won then we'd be challenging for 3rd (you said 5th/6th but the way the table is means that to be looking at 6th effectively means to be looking at 3rd by default). Loads of people unsurprisingly laughed at you and I tried to point out that every team would say the same thing. Now you've gone off on a tangent and keep talking about me being happy with where we are when I've never suggested that I am.

Sorry a chara are you comparing our squad to one with Ozil, Lacazette, Toerrira, Auba, Suarez, Mkhitaryan, Ramsey, Bellerin, Kosciely, Cech, Iwobi. If we signed one of those players it would be one of our greatest transfers ever and this place would melt down.

I disagree on Emery as well, i think he varies his system a lot from game to game, he very rarely sticks to the same team or system.
Whilst I agree that Arsenal have a better squad, suggesting that signing Iwobi would be one of our greatest ever transfers is insane (not to mention a geriatric Cech). If we signed Iwobi there would be a thread of haters after three games that would make the Gylfi thread look like a love in.

Whilst I agree that Arsenal have a better squad, suggesting that signing Iwobi would be one of our greatest ever transfers is insane (not to mention a geriatric Cech). If we signed Iwobi there would be a thread of haters after three games that would make the Gylfi thread look like a love in.

Think Iwobi is underrated myself! Cech is past it of course but what a player he was.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2019/mar/17/everton-chelsea-premier-league

That article perfectly sums up the game yesterday, the situation with Silva for me and accurately assesses some of our players who a large number of fans consistently overhype.

"Ending that barren run against the top six is not insignificant – not least because, if Everton are to break into that upper tier, it would be a major advantage if they could take points off them – but equally there seem few reasons for confidence that next season will be better than this.
That is not to say Silva should be sacked but it is to say that the best argument for keeping him at the moment may be that Everton have sacked so many managers in the recent past that there is a need and a desire that at some point the cycle of bloodletting and the state of permanent transition should end."
I think the article is good in general, but with regard to Silva, you could make that sort of argument about maybe 90% of managers in the league. Very few managers are really exceeding their targets I think. Guardiola, Espirito Santo and Gracia are. Klopp and Pochettino if they can actually win a trophy. Other than that pretty much every manager is just in the job because they're doing alright, and somebody else might do worse. Unfortunately that's unlikely to change any time soon with the way the PL is skewed to favour the clubs at the top.

To me the argument to keep Silva is very simply that he hasn't done anything to justify his sacking. If you just start sacking managers for not doing better than you hoped then things will get out of hand very quickly. I would say that broadly speaking this season has been very similar to what most people expected (or at least what they claimed they expected). Most predictions in the papers etc had us down to finish 8th or 9th and we're 2/3 points off that as it stands, that's just not a sackable offence in my book. I know a lot of Arsenal fans and their realistic hopes were to be 3rd or 4th this year and to win a trophy. If they don't win the Europa League and end up 5th or 6th though, they don't expect Emery to be sacked, because it would be weird.

Question for the pro silva fans.

If West Ham beat us on saturday will you be concerned based on this season overall and will it take the gloss away from the chelsea game like the newcastle game did?

Status
Not open for further replies.