• B

• C

• D

• E

• F

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So far I generally like what I see. Overlapping fullbacks, ball being largely played on the deck, when going long it's mostly had a purpose vs aimless. Execution has been spotty, but you have to expect that...especially with a largely backup/reserve side we saw against Lille in the second preseason game.

Mo dropping deep to receive the ball between the CB's looked very similar to Barry under Martinez. Honestly can't rave enough at how well he played in that role. So creative and expansive. Barry never played that position as well as Mo did in this game.

Anyway, soz about the Mo tangent. Silva appears to be working towards a much better looking brand of football. For that and that alone I am getting excited about this season. No idea if results will be better, but my God last season was hard to watch.

So far I generally like what I see. Overlapping fullbacks, ball being largely played on the deck, when going long it's mostly had a purpose vs aimless. Execution has been spotty, but you have to expect that...especially with a largely backup/reserve side we saw against Lille in the second preseason game.

Mo dropping deep to receive the ball between the CB's looked very similar to Barry under Martinez. Honestly can't rave enough at how well he played in that role. So creative and expansive. Barry never played that position as well as Mo did in this game.

Anyway, soz about the Mo tangent. Silva appears to be working towards a much better looking brand of football. For that and that alone I am getting excited about this season. No idea if results will be better, but my God last season was hard to watch.

Likewise I thought there was lots of positives last night. Can’t remember the last time we set out to actually take the game to the opposition on the deck.

What I've noticed about Silva is that his team actually defends as a team. This is what all of the top clubs do. This is how players compensate for their weaknesses defensively. Close down the lanes and make it difficult for the opposition to build any rhythm. Desperate for this dude to come good because this is the way I want us to succeed...

What I've noticed about Silva is that his team actually defends as a team. This is what all of the top clubs do. This is how players compensate for their weaknesses defensively. Close down the lanes and make it difficult for the opposition to build any rhythm. Desperate for this dude to come good because this is the way I want us to succeed...
You're right. At the highest level it's what football should look like - defend as a team, attack as a team. Universality is the Holy Grail of football and it has it's roots in dutch Total Football philosophy and Arrigo Sacchi's school.

Like Cruyff once said: football is a simple game, but playing simple football is the hardest thing there is.

You're right. At the highest level it's what football should look like - defend as a team, attack as a team. Universality is the Holy Grail of football and it has it's roots in dutch Total Football philosophy and Arrigo Sacchi's school.

Like Cruyff once said: football is a simple game, but playing simple football is the hardest thing there is.
Under Koeman and Allardyce we relied on:

A: Throwing defensive players onto the field
B: Throwing numbers back when we lost possession

There wasn't a real desire to win the ball back apart from Gueye, and we would get absolutely manhandled by teams that never should have sniffed the ball. You shouldn't have to run yourself into the ground as Gueye did in our first season- you just need to stay organized and narrow the field.

Status
Not open for further replies.