• B

• C

• D

• E

• F

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Saw that yesterday clearly - Bremen’s play exploited that space well, especially in the second half - but we had Schneiderlin playing that DM role yesterday -not the most mobile, Gana Gueye wouldn’t have let that happen.
Gana was papering over the cracks...make that cardboard.

Sunday Times predictions giving Marco a high “Chop” rating. Says he talks a good game but his teams don’t always apply it. Clanging alarm bells will be ringing “soon”

Oh, an a prediction of 10th place

Can't wait till we get top 4 this season. I'm going to drive down to the Times office's and staple the leauge table who ever made those predictions head.

Think I'm still a bit drunk:Blink:

Saw that yesterday clearly - Bremen’s play exploited that space well, especially in the second half - but we had Schneiderlin playing that DM role yesterday -not the most mobile, Gana Gueye wouldn’t have let that happen.
The problem with that role (or 2 DCM roles) is its almost impossible to play with any rhythm and purpose.
Its reactionary. Its higgidy piggidy and helter skelter. You have to constantly make it up.
Gana did ok but everyone else struggled.
Davies may be a much better player than we have seen.
We don't get the best out of Gomes either.

He needs three in that partnership not two.
The thing is if we get Moise, we have the perfect style of player for the 1 to 'drop' into a front 3.

That was the first proper pre season hit out.
And the signs are worrying.

Preface this with only (not really) being interested in getting into and competing in CL and competing for the title.
Ie, how do we get there?

Real disappointment to see Delph go off early and to see how the play would've worked out.

What really gets me about Silva's strategy is how it falls short in some really important fundamentals of the game.

The rhythm and purpose of the play is out of kilter.
A good marker of this is where the leaders are in terms of play,
both in terms of the personalities that project the emotions and heartbeat of the team
and the players that pull the strings, the orchestraters

Imo the reason for this is his tactics, the pressing-counter tactics.
In theory, in the moment, its perfectly reasonable, it's successful.
As part of the bigger game plan, not so.
Its too counter productive to other areas. The gain does not increase the sum.

Watch how easy it is for the opposition creative player to sit in large space in front of the centre backs
while the CF occupies the attention of the CBs
This space is created by the our central midfielders joining in the press.

This doesn't cut it at the top level.
If Silva continues to play this way this season he will get buried this season.
The opposition are a season wiser.

He needs a central defensive midfielder to sit and cancel out the opp create player
not getting sucked into the pressing game.
And the CDM and CB need to squeeze the space between them and the press he's wanting.
He needs to change the way he presses.

In short he can't do what he wants to do because he doesn't have the type of CBs and DCM to do it.

He needs to look to the strengths of the wonderful players he has got
accept the limitations
and go outand create a way of playing that works for them.

I think its too early for a coach to come in and impose a way of playing to the point he is doing.
Right now we need the coach to work to the players he's got and instill a winning mentality.
The style comes later.

If he gets Moise, then he got the players to get in the top six.
But it feels like he's pissing this up against the wall.
Gana was papering over the cracks...make that cardboard.

Right, I don't get this. In the first post you say that our pressing style doesn't work because our cm's push up during the press and leave gaps for creative players to exploit. So we need a proper dm to sit in the gap and stop these players. But That was Ganas job to do that but he would move out of position to attack the ball which could leave us exposed on the counter attack.

You then go on to say gana was papering over the cracks but according to you the cracks are there because of gana not sitting deep and covering the back four.

Also when we press we press as a team. The defence doesn't sit back and the rest for the team legs it off to press. The defence presses as well as the rest of the team so where are these gaps coming from on the press?

As I said there can be gaps on the counter because if gana misses his tackle or interception it can leave us exposed but not on the press. That's why teams who press high have problems with long balls over the top.

Now with gana gone whoever replaces him will more likely be more disciplined positional.

I don't really know where else to put this, but I feel like a lot of people are conflating what happened in the second half of the season carrying over to the new season. "we were the second best team in the second half of the season" doesn't mean it's going to just be right where we left off. Let's not forget he probably should have been sacked for that stretch of 1 win in 13 games. Thankfully Brands held out but Im not exactly confident this is going to be great right from the off as we are really weaker for the Palace game in 2 key areas from last season.

I don't really know where else to put this, but I feel like a lot of people are conflating what happened in the second half of the season carrying over to the new season. "we were the second best team in the second half of the season" doesn't mean it's going to just be right where we left off. Let's not forget he probably should have been sacked for that stretch of 1 win in 13 games. Thankfully Brands held out but Im not exactly confident this is going to be great right from the off as we are really weaker for the Palace game in 2 key areas from last season.

The season hasn’t even started mate. Let’s just see aye

Why would he say this about today’s game, what sort of confidence does he transmit to his players.......

“Our bench this afternoon is not what I want, but it’s what we have in this moment. At this moment our number is not really big to have these type of problems.”......

I know what he means but ffs, what do the players on the bench think........

If we can remember how to defend of free kicks that's about 50 less goals we'll ship.

Why would he say this about today’s game, what sort of confidence does he transmit to his players.......

“Our bench this afternoon is not what I want, but it’s what we have in this moment. At this moment our number is not really big to have these type of problems.”......

A)
Trying to put pressure on the board to sign the players he wants?!

B)
Truth hurts

Probably what they already know, they are not good enough to take us forward.

If/when Brands delivers the remaining players needed by Thursday then Silva cant have no excuses at the end of the season...

Its over to you Marco!

If/when Brands delivers the remaining players needed by Thursday then Silva cant have no excuses at the end of the season...

Its over to you Marco!

Pretty much that.

Reactions: JLW

Its over to you Marco!
He can though cant he? He can have the legitimate gripe that for the second successive season he's been handed a (hopefully) load of players and then asked to mould them into a cohesive unit to win games 3 days later.

I expect nothing other than a lot of disjointed performances and points lost before the Christmas fixtures. No one who is reasonable would.

Status
Not open for further replies.