2020/21 Marcel Brands

Status
Not open for further replies.
What I love about this thread is that a while ago, all we heard was that Carlo was responsible for transfers and players only came because of Carlo but then we haven't heard that for a while, so can we make up our mind as to who has control of transfers and should be held accountable for all transfer, senior and youth.

I think we can all agree that this was a difficult window for all clubs up and down the leagues.

As a club, I do not think we are doing too bad on the transfer front.

Number 1 priority in the summer had to be the 1st choice midfield, this was very successful.

January windows should not generally be used for long term priorities, in my opinion. It is way too risky to find long term replacements, fixes.

I think we have got a good January deal in King, which should go some way to resolving the striker situation, another re-evaluation will be done to see if King is a long term fix for that position.

All in all, we are on a good trajectory.

What if that meant we breached FFP rules or meant we missed out on our long term targets planned for the summer?

First FFP has been extended and it was on dodgy ground before covid, how fifa will charge any club who are haemorrhaging money due to covid is beyond me. Plus numerous players are out of contract this summer

I’m not usually particularly critical of him as I think the business he does is usually good however I would like to know why it’s taken us until the final hours of the January window to sign Josh King who was seemingly there to sign in the summer. We all knew Tosun wasn’t good enough and would never play himself into a permanent move so why didn’t we simply get King in earlier?

The business with the 6 month deal with an extension is as ever very good but Brands has a horrible habit of leaving us short
He wanted a 3 and half year deal with over 100k a week on 1st Jan
WE got a 6month deal on 60k a week on 1st Feb
Thats why

I get the principal. On paper its very good as it's deadwood or younger players going out for game time. Wages too. It's a step to fix things.

But wow. We're bare bones now.
Gk :pickford ,Olsen ,Virginia 1 position
Defense :Coleman ,Holgate Mina Keane Godfrey ,Digne Nkounkou 4 positions
Mf: Allan ,Doucoure Davies Siggy .Gomes ,Delph ,Gbamin 3 positions
Attack :Ricarlison ,DCL ,King, Bernard Iwobi James 3 positions
19 games plus a couple of cup games ,should be enough

Just look at the squad at the end of the 17/18 season and the manager that was in charge.

Look at the squad now and the manager that is in charge.

Consider this was all done under huge constraints of FFP, a stadium being financed, and a pandemic.

Tell me again how Brands hasn’t done anything.

Just look at the squad at the end of the 17/18 season and the manager that was in charge.

Consider this was all done under huge constraints of FFP, a stadium being financed, and a pandemic.

Said it in another thread the other day, it all comes down to whether we actually push on or not. If we don't finish above 8th this year then it's very hard to argue we've actually progressed. Three years and never once finishing higher than we did in the couple of years before he took over (even with a definite upgrade as manager) would mean any supposed improvement would just be on paper. I'm not really interested on whether we're better on paper, I want us to be better on grass. If we finish top 6 this year then there's a really good argument that he's improved us, top 4 and it's undeniable. 8th would make it very debatable, lower would mean that whatever it looks like on paper, we've clearly regressed in terms of performance, and that would be very very bad.

Said it in another thread the other day, it all comes down to whether we actually push on or not. If we don't finish above 8th this year then it's very hard to argue we've actually progressed. Three years and never once finishing higher than we did in the couple of years before he took over (even with a definite upgrade as manager) would mean any supposed improvement would just be on paper. I'm not really interested on whether we're better on paper, I want us to be better on grass. If we finish top 6 this year then there's a really good argument that he's improved us, top 4 and it's undeniable. 8th would make it very debatable, lower would mean that whatever it looks like on paper, we've clearly regressed in terms of performance, and that would be very very bad.

If a cruise boat is hurtling in the wrong direction, then someone gets on board, stops it and turns it around to face the right way. The boat is no closer physically to the destination it wants to go but does it mean it will reach its destination quicker? Absolutely.

Year on year since Moyes left and before Brands arrived we had been buying worse players than we were letting go (with some obvious exceptions such as Lukaku, Gueye etc.). Relegation had become a concern again with Martinez’s second season, Koeman’s second season, and Silva’s second season all leaving us worried at one point or another in a way we hadn’t been since about 2003/4. Since Brands has come in I feel that on the whole the players leaving the club are worse than the ones joining. Of course he’s presided over some bad buys, progress could have been quicker etc. but I think overall the club is far better placed now than it was before he arrived. Even if we finish 8th this season we’re in a lot better place to improve next year than we were when we scraped 8th under Allardyce.

Id also add to this that the only top player he’s sold in that time is Gueye (who wanted to leave).

Gk :pickford ,Olsen ,Virginia 1 position
Defense :Coleman ,Holgate Mina Keane Godfrey ,Digne Nkounkou 4 positions
Mf: Allan ,Doucoure Davies Siggy .Gomes ,Delph ,Gbamin 3 positions
Attack :Ricarlison ,DCL ,King, Bernard Iwobi James 3 positions
19 games plus a couple of cup games ,should be enough

Should be enough to finish a campaign. But quality wise to achieve something...I don't know.

If a cruise boat is hurtling in the wrong direction, then someone gets on board, stops it and turns it around to face the right way. The boat is no closer physically to the destination it wants to go but does it mean it will reach its destination quicker? Absolutely.

Year on year since Moyes left and before Brands arrived we had been buying worse players than we were letting go (with some obvious exceptions such as Lukaku, Gueye etc.). Relegation had become a concern again with Martinez’s second season, Koeman’s second season, and Silva’s second season all leaving us worried at one point or another in a way we hadn’t been since about 2003/4. Since Brands has come in I feel that on the whole the players leaving the club are worse than the ones joining. Of course he’s presided over some bad buys, progress could have been quicker etc. but I think overall the club is far better placed now than it was before he arrived. Even if we finish 8th this season we’re in a lot better place to improve next year than we were when we scraped 8th under Allardyce.
I just fundamentally disagree with that to be honest. I think people massively overstate how bad the situation was when he came in. Koeman and Walsh had done an awful job, don't get me wrong, but we weren't hurtling in the wrong direction. What we'd done was massively overspend on players who couldn't take us to where we wanted to be. What we'd wanted/expected was to sign a load of players who swiftly moved us up from 11th to around the top 4. What we got was a load of players who moved us up from 11th to 7th/8th and were never going to take us higher. We were still the 7th/8th best squad in the league though, it's pretty undeniable really, seeing as we finished there with the majority of those players for 3 years running. Unless you think Koeman, Allardyce, and Silva were such good managers that they could massively punch above their weight? We didn't need completely turning round and steadying for 3 years, we needed an injection of quality and to use our budget better. Brands has clearly done at least a decent job, he has steadied the ship in that sense, but unless we actually start to move forward on the pitch then you simply can't say he's done a great job. The possibility is there, if we push on then I'll be saying you're right he's done it. If we don't finish higher than 8th this year though, there is just no way you can argue that both Brands and Ancelotti have both done well. None. Either we will have failed to get players who can improve us in 3 years, or we will have underperformed with the players we've got.

guessing around;
In
Josh King - £80k/W

Out
Yannick Bolasie - £68k/W
Matthew Pennington - £18k/W
Jarrad Branthwaite - £7k/W
Ellis Simms -£5k/W
Cenk Tosun - £70k/w
Jonas Lossl - £55k/W
Jonjoe Kenny - £22k/W
Beni Baningime - £12k/W
Anthony Gordon -£15k/W

maybe £272k saved of set by £80k, netting out at £192k / W saved.....
I've read Josh King is around 55k a week on his current contract.

Not a chance we are getting the full whack of Tosun and Bolasir off the books.

What I love about this thread is that a while ago, all we heard was that Carlo was responsible for transfers and players only came because of Carlo but then we haven't heard that for a while, so can we make up our mind as to who has control of transfers and should be held accountable for all transfer, senior and youth.

I think we can all agree that this was a difficult window for all clubs up and down the leagues.

As a club, I do not think we are doing too bad on the transfer front.

Number 1 priority in the summer had to be the 1st choice midfield, this was very successful.

January windows should not generally be used for long term priorities, in my opinion. It is way too risky to find long term replacements, fixes.

I think we have got a good January deal in King, which should go some way to resolving the striker situation, another re-evaluation will be done to see if King is a long term fix for that position.

All in all, we are on a good trajectory.
There was a claim a few pages back that Carlo speaking to King pushed him to sign for us. Make of it what you will.

Status
Not open for further replies.