2020/21 Marcel Brands

Status
Not open for further replies.
Carlo's on record as flatly stating that he wants Brands retained. Reading between the lines a bit, his praise was that Brands is doing a 'fantastic job' with the stuff he doesn't have time to personally oversee.

Dave may be 100% right about the internal politics - it may well be that Carlo and the board want him, but Moshiri doesn't. It could also be the case that talks stalled because United showed up with a pile of cash and Woodward's days are numbered, as was rumored, and delaying the talks is just a face-saving mechanism for all parties.

Regardless, we're going to need someone to handle the impending cleanout because that sort of thing just isn't Carlo's bag.
The players needing the boot aren't attracting any interest so Brands won't be able to wave a magic wand and find buyers. In Ancelotti we have a manager who players want to come here to play for,so Brands is nothing but a glorified scout who isn't unearthing the cheap hidden European gems we were led to believe he would.

Intersting to see what Moyes does at WHU without a DOF.

Has an eye for player does Davey.
He seems to be doing a good job so far to be fair to him.
All that table shows is that some top clubs and bottom clubs in the PL use them and some top clubs and bottom clubs dont. It doesn't indicate whether they're worth having.
The clubs listed there without one are Man U, CFC, WBA, NUFC, SUFC, WHUFC. Not clubs I’d be wanting us to emulate particularly. Apart from perhaps CFC.

edit: and I think CFC haven’t won anything since binning their DOF? I could be wrong there

The clubs listed there without one are Man U, CFC, WBA, NUFC, SUFC, WHUFC. Not clubs I’d be wanting us to emulate particularly. Apart from perhaps CFC.

edit: and I think CFC haven’t won anything since binning their DOF? I could be wrong there
to be fair Man Utd have a de facto one in that bell whiff guy who's name I can't remember as 'chief executive'.

I don’t really understand the table as Chelsea mine not have anyone with a DoF level title but that bird there does the same job as Marcel in regards to transfers and infrastructure so same role to me.

Same for United with Woodward.

Yeah Woodward is Uniteds.

Not sure why they didn't include him.
He's an investment banker who became CEO. How on earth is he technical director / director of football?

Half the people in that list are just glorified club secretaries.

Michael Dunford carried out a lot of the transfer detail back in the day. Are we to now retrospectively call him a technical director?

There's a lot of 'reinventing the wheel' about these posts. They used to be done by a couple of people (club secretary and head scout) and now theyre done (badly in most cases) by one person who get's the Fancy Dan title of 'Director of Football' or 'Technical Director' or 'Sporting Director'.

He's an investment banker who became CEO. How on earth is he technical director / director of football?

Half the people in that list are just glorified club secretaries.

Michael Dunford carried out a lot of the transfer detail back in the day. Are we to now retrospectively call him a technical director?

There's a lot of 'reinventing the wheel' about these posts. They used to be done by a couple of people (club secretary and head scout) and now theyre done (badly in most cases) by one person who get's the Fancy Dan title of 'Director of Football' or 'Technical Director' or 'Sporting Director'.
You do realise the game changes Dave, right?

Back in the day a footballers idea of refuelling at half time was to have a ciggy and a few shots of whiskey.

Transfers were done at service stations, contracts written on the back on ciggy packets.

Now players have about 6 Agents, clubs hire 500 lawyers.

You do realise the game changes Dave, right?

Back in the day a footballers idea of refuelling at half time was to have a ciggy and a few shots of whiskey.

Transfers were done at service stations, contracts written on the back on ciggy packets.

Now players have about 6 Agents, clubs hire 500 lawyers.
So why would you concentrate a number of roles in the hands of one man?

Industry savvy CEO
Head Scout
Manager

they should suffice in the everyday running of Everton.

We've had DoF role at Everton for over four years when a king's ransom has been wasted, and it only began to turn for us when we installed a strongman manager like Ancelotti who seized control of the transfer cash. He employs his own scouting, he deals with his preferred agents. The DoF role is about as useful as an ashtray on a motorbike.

So why would you concentrate a number of roles in the hands of one man?

Industry savvy CEO
Head Scout
Manager

they should suffice in the everyday running of Everton.

We've had DoF role at Everton for over four years when a king's ransom has been wasted, and it only began to turn for us when we installed a strongman manager like Ancelotti who seized control of the transfer cash. He employs his own scouting, he deals with his preferred agents. The DoF role is about as useful as an ashtray on a motorbike.
I was under the impression all the scouting structures have been put in place by Brands and Gretar Steinsson and youth recruitment is down to Dan Perkins formerly of Derby county. Ancelotti has got zero involvement with that scouting,and quite frankly he wouldn't waste his time on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.