2020/21 Marcel Brands

Status
Not open for further replies.
Branthwaite, Nkonkou have done nothing so far. Didnt cost a lot of money. Richarlison was Silvas idea i think. Doucoure is only average. Digne (I cant defend for toffee) is ok but after a good first season has only been a bit over average. If thats what you get for 300 m Im sure i can do the job for a tenth of the price. You forget all the crap he bought? Iwobi, Bernard, Delph... A guy like Luis Campos, the guy who did bring Rodriguez to Europe, (without a job after Gérard Lopes had to sell Lille) would be the way forward. Did bring Porto, Monaco, Lille millions in transfer money...

Luis Campos would be my choice as well.

The thing is though, would it work? Monchi is brilliant in Spain but flopped at Roma.

Perhaps now Brands has been here a few years he may have more experience of what we need as weve seen with Godfrey and Doucoure...

If DBB wasnt CEO i could see Brands there with Campos as DOF in an alternate universe.

Any other suggestions besides Campos?

Branthwaite is 18 ,Nkonkou is 19.

I don't think anyone can say how good they are going to be when they hit their peak. We can say they are exactly the type of signing that Brands was brought to the club to make

Anybody saying that Godfrey is comparable to urine Ferdinand or Maldini is certainly over eating the player.

Anybody arguing that he is in the top three or four defenders signed by Premiership clubs this season would have a strong argument to make abs certainly you would have people like Rio Ferdinand that you could ask to make that case for you.

Godfrey in the last few months, in my opinion, has added tens of millions to his value.

Which is exactly why I always find it very odd that people insist on including them in the lists of good signings. They might be absolutely brilliant signings, but at this moment in time there doesn't seem to be any justification in using them as positives.

I put them in because I believe it is in that category of player we have most successful in the transfer market.
Coleman, Stones, Holgate, DCL,Vlasic,Lookman,Virginia have turned into good Everton players or made us lots of money.

Both Branthwaite and Nkonkou have shown that we can be optimistic about their futures.
I am a little surprised Nkonkou has not had more minutes on the field on the left wing in front of Digne

Yeah I understand that and I like what i've seen of them. It just feels like every time someone puts up a list of the good signings they're on it and it's far too early to tell really. I mean at the price we paid neither of them will ever go down as bad signings, but I'd just leave them off altogether really, until we can say with any certainty that they've been positives.

Because of their lack of experience and the crucial positions they play it is hard to get them minutes on the pitch in our team
You want them to move to a good quality championship side to get experience but they also will not put young players into their team just because they come from us.

A number of our younger players got experience in more forward roles Initially.
Coleman played as a right winger Godfrey and Holgate at full back, DCL played wide

I think in particular Nkonkou could have done well as a left winger.

Could we make a handsome profit on Nkounkou + Branthwaite if we sold them this summer?

i think we could...so would have them as good signings.

I have faith in Ancelotti talking to Brands and Brands using a scouting network to find players that all/most agree on, or Ancelotti telling Brands what exact player he wants and either Brands or Ancelotti contacting the players club, agent, etc. and then Brands and the rest to sort out the fine print and the contract over the line.

People go on as if it is only Brands on his own picking players and then bringing them in with nobody else knowing.

Yes, from what they both say they both need to agree.

Brands? I am totally magnolia on him, cos I have no idea what he actually does. Not as a critique, I literally have no idea.
The position of DoF is a sham.

That idiot Moshiri fell for it - no doubt after being told it's the 'big club' way to do things by some plank who sells mobile phones for him.

Could we make a handsome profit on Nkounkou + Branthwaite if we sold them this summer?

i think we could...so would have them as good signings.
It’s possible, but not definite. At different points people would have claimed we could sell the likes of Galloway and Garbutt for substantial fees but it didn’t work out that way. If they get into the first team or are sold at a significant profit then they get classed as good signings. Until that point they’re just potential.

The position of DoF is a sham.

That idiot Moshiri fell for it - no doubt after being told it's the 'big club' way to do things by some plank who sells mobile phones for him.

I kinda agree. Its like XG and reversed pivot inverted full backs to me.

Head of Scouting/Player Recruitment is it in essence. If they want to call it a new name, fine. But whatever you call it, the Manager should always have the final say on any signing.

Head of Scouting/Player Recruitment is it in essence. If they want to call it a new name, fine. But whatever you call it, the Manager should always have the final say on any signing.

To me the age of this is dead with how quick clubs are to hire & fire.

Exactly. Been saying this for ages and the "experts" call you a dinosaur.

Lol.

Exactly. Been saying this for ages and the "experts" call you a dinosaur.

Lol.

You read Roy Keanes biog? His description of how he first joined Forest, then got his debut, (away, at Liverpool), is amazing. Top manager, who trusts his scouts/recruiting team to get him what HE wants for the first team.

Clough "Can the Irishman take it?" Scout bloke. "Reckon so Brian".

"Irishman, you are playing, the #7 is yours" Thats in the away dressing room at Anfield, and I have paraphrased a tad.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.