2020/21 Marcel Brands

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think we were very lucky and probably did some dodgy book balancing to bring in Allan Doucoure and Godfrey. I don’t thjnk it’s on him we can’t sign a player for a fee and have to trim the wages

Nobody seems to want to assign Marcel any blame for our finances. While Walsh might have wasted loads of money, Brands hasnt exactly got a spotless record on the front.

Bernard, overpaid. Iwobi, overpriced. Delph, overpriced and overpaid. Kean, a 30 million asset contributing nothing to the team this season.

How much money in wages and fees are involved in those deals that we could do with now?

This thread at 10:55 tonight

giphy.gif

15 mins later

giphy.gif

Whilst Marcel

giphy.gif

Nobody seems to want to assign Marcel any blame for our finances. While Walsh might have wasted loads of money, Brands hasnt exactly got a spotless record on the front.

Bernard, overpaid. Iwobi, overpriced. Delph, overpriced and overpaid. Kean, a 30 million asset contributing nothing to the team this season.

How much money in wages and fees are involved in those deals that we could do with now?
I think it’s a question of magnitude. There are always hits and misses, Delph was relatively low value, Bernard was free Kean we will get our money back on (he was definatelg worth the punt) and Iwobi would have some resale value - unlike Bolasie, Tosun, Schniderlin, Walcott, Niasse, Besic.

There are quite a few hits, Richarlison, Digne, Godfrey, Doucoure, James, Allan, plus some promising youngsters- Nkounkou and Branthwaite.

His record is far better than Walsh. However it’s still valid to question the errors.

I think he's doing a great job...if your ambition is to finish mid-table. Maybe it is. Maybe that's the plan. That or hope the top class manager we have can work the oracle and get us a bit higher.

I don't know. At this point, I would have expected Brands's good work to be more obviously fruitful. Put it this way: if Carlo resigned this week or in the summer, would you think that the structure was sound enough to ensure that whoever next came in could keep us moving forward? I wouldn't. I think our current strategy - rightly or wrongly - is hope Carlo can work a bit of magic. Thing is, evidence suggests he tends to work magic with players capable of a bit of magic. We have, what, one?

Status
Not open for further replies.