2019/20 Marcel Brands

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im not bothered about who signs them, once there good, but I think if they are bad deals for the club then I think that deserves scrutiny and accountability.

For example many are lauding Brands for the Allan fee and Jamo loan. That is very short sighted to me. We shouldn’t be in a position of having to sign more central midfielders or a no 10 after investing 44 mill in Iwobi and Delph and taking on 200 k last summer. That is bad recruitment and bad deals, damages the club. I think it’s quite reasonable to analyse that form an opinion comment on that as ultimately it has an impact on the welfare of the club. You can’t have accountability unless someone is accountable for decisions, therefore I think we as fans have a responsibility to analyse and comment on issues such as that.

Agreed. And the Iwobi / Delph signings are (for me) the 2 major failings of Brands DoF tenure. But if Allen signs, on a good deal, but turns out to be terrible in the PL, I’m quite happy to lay that at Brands door, rather than Carlo, as Brands is the DoF and signs the deals off.

End of 17/18 season Sam Allardyce is in charge, the squad’s best player is Theo Walcott, the likes of Williams, Rooney, Bolasie, Siggurdson, Klaasen, Sandro are in the squad. Michael Keane with his foot two sizes too big is our best defender.

Enter Marcel Brands.

2 seasons later and Carlo Ancelotti is our manager. The squad contains Richarlison, Lucas Digne, Yerry Mina, Andre Gomes. A deal is agreed for Allan, and ones for James Rodriguez and Doucoure are in the pipeline. Young talent like DCL, Holgate and Gordon are flourishing in the first team. All of this has been done within the constraints of FFP that Koeman/Walsh left us and then made worse by the injury crisis under Silva and now Corona Virus.

Yet for some reason people think it’s edgy to hate this bloke. But ok, that’s football.

Man gotta push them agendas.

WHAT ABOUT IWOBI DOH

Man gotta push them agendas.

WHAT ABOUT IWOBI DOH

People need to look at the macro level and stop pretending that every manager in history hasn’t had some bad buys at some point. The squad has improved every window under Brands. Only an idiot would deny that. If anyone really would swap the squad and manager we had in 17/18 for the one we have now then they need their head checking. For the first time since Martinez’s first season we have improvement. Improvement on the managerial quality, young players improving, recruitment improving, squad value improving. This is all down to Brands.

People need to look at the macro level and stop pretending that every manager in history hasn’t had some bad buys at some point. The squad has improved every window under Brands. Only an idiot would deny that. If anyone really would swap the squad and manager we had in 17/18 for the one we have now then they need their head checking. For the first time since Martinez’s first season we have improvement. Improvement on the managerial quality, young players improving, recruitment improving, squad value improving. This is all down to Brands.
Manager : Sam Allardyce

GK
Jordan Pickford

Joel Robles
Maarten Stekelenburg

RB
Séamus Coleman
Jonjoe Kenny
Cuco Martina
Callum Connolly

LB

Leighton Baines
Antonee Robinson
Brendan Galloway
Luke Garbutt

CB
Michael Keane

Phil Jagielka
Ashley Williams
Ramiro Funes Mori
Mason Holgate
Matthew Pennington
Tyias Browning

DM/CM/AM
Muhamed Bešić
Morgan Schneiderlin
Wayne Rooney
James McCarthy
Idrissa Gueye
Gylfi Sigurðsson
Davy Klaassen
Tom Davies
Beni Baningime
Kieran Dowell

Widers

Yannick Bolasie
Theo Walcott
Nikola Vlašić
Kevin Mirallas
Ademola Lookman

Strikers
Cenk Tosun
Oumar Niasse
Sandro Ramírez
Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Thats the squad we had prior to Brands joining.

Manager : Carlo Ancelotti

GK

Jordan Pickford (HG)
João Virginia
Jonas Lössl

RB
Séamus Coleman
Jonjoe Kenny (HG)

LB
Lucas Digne

CB
Yerry Mina
Michael Keane (HG)
Mason Holgate (HG)
Jarrad Branthwaite
Lewis Gibson
Matthew Pennington (HG)

DM/CM/AM
André Gomes
Jean-Philippe Gbamin
Gylfi Sigurðsson (HG)
Tom Davies (HG)
Fabian Delph (HG)
Muhamed Bešić
Beni Baningime (HG)
Callum Connolly (HG)

Widers
Bernard
Theo Walcott (HG)
Alex Iwobi (HG)
Anthony Gordon
Yannick Bolasie
Josh Bowler (HG)

ST
Richarlison
Dominic Calvert-Lewin (HG)
Moise Kean
Cenk Tosun
Sandro Ramírez

This is the squad we have currently.

For me every player added has improved upon what we had, even Iwobi!

I don’t hate Brands I actually like him. So don’t take this the wrong way. There is a argument that team Silva finished the season with was stronger than the team he started the following season he got sacked with. We lost Gana unfortunate what happened with JPG but still that makes us weaker in midfield. I don’t rate Delph never have We lost Kurt that makes us weaker in defense but Holgate came in an has done great.

He doesn’t have a easy job with the mess we was left in with moon head an the PE teacher. He is doing what he can but last years summer window wasn’t a great one looks like we could have a great one this summer. I am not going to turn on Brands I was an am made up with a lot of his signing. I even like Iwobi he looks awkward and hasn’t been great but I still hope he can come good.

Agreed. And the Iwobi / Delph signings are (for me) the 2 major failings of Brands DoF tenure. But if Allen signs, on a good deal, but turns out to be terrible in the PL, I’m quite happy to lay that at Brands door, rather than Carlo, as Brands is the DoF and signs the deals off.

Id actually be critical of Carlo if Allan etc were poor, I think Carlo is a pragmatic manager by nature, he will look at us as a maximum 3 year job and I think he will push for players with that time line in mind. I do put these signingsall down to Carlo as I say for the reasons I gave.

I would also highlight another facet of this I think Carlo is making Brands job easier, he’s a big draw, I think we are seeing players who never would have signed for us, not only sign for us, but turn down other clubs and only want to sign for Everton because of Carlo. I think we saw it with Allan, I think we see it with Jamo, I think we see it with Doucoure - certainly my read of it.

That leaves the selling club, in a difficult positition, they are getting offers but the player is rejecting them and only wants Everton. This makes for fertile ground for Brands to leverage a deal for a good price. So for me Carlo his draw and profile is making Brands job easier.

So what is wrong with that?

Absolutley nothing, it’s good for Everton and long may it continue.

Id actually be critical of Carlo if Allan etc were poor, I think Carlo is a pragmatic manager by nature, he will look at us as a maximum 3 year job and I think he will push for players with that time line in mind. I do put these signingsall down to Carlo as I say for the reasons I gave.

I would also highlight another facet of this I think Carlo is making Brands job easier, he’s a big draw, I think we are seeing players who never would have signed for us, not only sign for us, but turn down other clubs and only want to sign for Everton because of Carlo. I think we saw it with Allan, I think we see it with Jamo, I think we see it with Doucoure - certainly my read of it.

That leaves the selling club, in a difficult positition, they are getting offers but the player is rejecting them and only wants Everton. This makes for fertile ground for Brands to leverage a deal for a good price. So for me Carlo his draw and profile is making Brands job easier.

Agree entirely. Carlo was not just brought here for his coaching acumen. He is a draw himself and this is the genius behind it , from the Moshiri / Usmanov angle.
What a shame that this wasn't put into place from the beginning of the takeover.
This , backed by the ground development , is what will put us back in the elite.
Sadly, the bedwetters will never see that until it is delivered. Even then , they will complain that it has taken too long / they don't like the ground etc..

Yes of course you would, because you want to separate signings into DoF / manager decisions. I give up. You’re never gonna see it any other way than x was signed by y, but a was signed by b. This is the problem with DoF model, the ‘perceived‘ lack of clarity for some.

No point calling people Idiots mate.

Youve made some grandious statements in your last two posts, some truths, but also sabre rattling. In your first post you compare two years ago to now, ultimately we finished 8th two seasons ago, this year we finished 12th. For all the laudable baubles that is all that matters.

You say the Squad has improved window on window, maybe it has, the team however hasn’t, in fact it’s correct that since Brands has been here, he hasn’t bettered the season Koeman and Walsh were here in their 1 year, equalled Allardyce‘s and Walsh half season and this season we have regressed to our lowest league position since sacking Martinez, of 12th In the league. In short you talk of Macro and about everything apart from the regressiveness of our league position since he’s been here.

I think people are far from idiots to be questioning our regressive league position and form an opinion on our DOF influence as many deals have been done under his tenure.

Last edited:

Yes of course you would, because you want to separate signings into DoF / manager decisions. I give up. You’re never gonna see it any other way than x was signed by y, but a was signed by b. This is the problem with DoF model, the ‘perceived‘ lack of clarity for some.

I give up to mate, you are very polarised in your thinking debating polarisation.

Did brands have nothing to do with ancelotti coming on board?

Status
Not open for further replies.