2019/20 Marcel Brands

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting that articles mentions a USM kit deal....not even been announced yet....think the echo have slipped up there (it’s the incoming sleeve sponsor clearly)

Interesting that articles mentions a USM kit deal....not even been announced yet....think the echo have slipped up there (it’s the incoming sleeve sponsor clearly)

Good spot. You might be onto something although I think we have Megafon on some of our training gear which may be what they’re on about

Bernard was free and if he is on £120k salary thats the same as £12.5mil fee and £60k a week.

Mina was our best performer in the first half of the season and still played in 33 matches (29 league).

Any sale for Bernard is FFP positive and Mina anything over £16.8mil is FFP positive.

Not bad business.
But there’s not many evertonians who would be happy with them two players taking us into the top 6, which is where we want to be aiming for. If we want to just support a club based on its business acumen then we should probably be on a different forum. Far too much chat on this forum about FFP and costs of players. In reality, if the scouting is done right in the first place then the cost of the player is rarely mentioned or the wages they’re on. Successful buys on the pitch is what we should be judging this guy on. If sigurdsson had performed for us no one would mention his price tag. Just get the right players in who do a consistent job on the pitch. Clutching at straws when you decide that a player was a decent buy because we got him on a free when he’s been absolutely useless. The time and effort that goes into buying a player these days.......

In the transfer thread a comment was made on paper the signing looked good... and that’s a very good point.. if we go back to when we signed the players... what was the overriding sentiment:
Digne - bit of a coup !
Richarlison - eye watering cost but young player on fringe of Brazil side...hopeful
Gomes - excellent.
Gbamin - unknown really but hopeful as he looks strong, athletic and good reports
Bernard - genius £20m player for free
Mina - excellent. Brilliant World Cup. Held strong

For the above the sentiment was very good I feel. Fans generally positive and saw the moves as a big improvement.
Then it starts going a little tricky
Delph... justified it as he was only £8m and might be that leader on the pitch we needed. Feeling would be ambivalent I would say
Iwobi... didn’t feel right although we justified it that his stats for assists were good and he had to be better than what we had. Sentiment - suspect
Forgive me if I have forgotten others.

Fact is our mess ups in recent times have been very expensive ones, by fee or by salary. Brands had and still has, a lot to do to rid the side of the deadwood.

His major issue for me was not replacing Lukaku and then some very bad luck with losing Gueye and his replacement then to injury. I’m sure he has done what he could to resolve the deadwood crisis but if we wouldn’t take them it’s tough to justify them to potential suitors.

Of those we were excited about Gomes and Bernard have struggled. Bernard has flashes of brilliance in all the wrong places on the pitch and Gomes has got himself fit and then broken down as he seemed to start expressing himself.
The others, by and large, have been massively successful or at least decent.

His latest Youth acquisition in Branthwaite looks brilliant and the LB is a no risk option that could pan out.

I’m probably like many that hopes (expects) he finds us the next O Dembele early or Lozano. Where we spend £15m on a future world star. He might just have pulled one off but for Covid (Gabriel)

I still have a lot of time for Brands and feel he is still a couple windows away from building the

In the transfer thread a comment was made on paper the signing looked good... and that’s a very good point.. if we go back to when we signed the players... what was the overriding sentiment:
Digne - bit of a coup !
Richarlison - eye watering cost but young player on fringe of Brazil side...hopeful
Gomes - excellent.
Gbamin - unknown really but hopeful as he looks strong, athletic and good reports

For the above the sentiment was very good I feel. Fans generally positive and saw the moves as a big improvement.
Delph... justified it as he was only £8m and might be that leader on the pitch we needed. Feeling would be ambivalent I would say
Iwobi... didn’t feel right although we justified it that his stats for assists were good and he had to be better than what we had. Sentiment - suspect

Fact is our mess ups in recent times have been very expensive ones, by fee or by salary. Brands had and still has, a lot to do to rid the side of the deadwood.

His major issue for me was not replacing Lukaku and then some very bad luck with losing Gueye and his replacement then to injury. I’m sure he has done what he could to resolve the deadwood crisis but if we wouldn’t take them it’s tough to justify them to potential suitors.

Of those we were excited about Gomes and Bernard have struggled. Bernard has flashes of brilliance in all the wrong places on the pitch and Gomes has got himself fit and then broken down as he seemed to start expressing himself.

His latest Youth acquisition in Branthwaite looks brilliant and the LB is a no risk option that could pan out.

I’m probably like many that hopes (expects) he finds us the next O Dembele early or Lozano. Where we spend £15m on a future world star. He might just have pulled one off but for Covid (Gabriel)

I still have a lot of time for Brands and feel he is still a couple windows away from building the
I agree with you mate. However , we are seemingly in the minority on here.

People need to remember that the figure of £160m for salary includes social security contributions of £18.8m. The actual amount paid out in salary is only £140.5m of that.

That figure is not just for the playing staff. It also covers the non-football staff and the coaching staff (so a big uptick from Marco’s £4m a year to Carlo’s £11m a year).

Digne - bit of a coup !
Gomes - excellent.

Yeah, hindsight is wonderful. Delph has been the biggest disappointment, genuinely thought he could give us that leadership but he's just a fool with a big mouth. I think Iwobi is better than we have seen even if not a world beater. Gomes had his leg snapped in 2, Gbamins legs fell off. There must be a culture within the club where signings just toss it off as an easy pay day and don't really play for the shirt.

No, I don't think we should, nor would we have. But that's what negotiations are. You have a top end of what you are willing to pay, and they have a bottom end that they are willing to accept. You try and make the 2 meet.

Sigurdsson, we massively overpaid for, even at £45m. Tell me how that was Brands fault?

In regards to Iwobi, at almost half the price, for a young international, home grown player, who played 50+ games for a top side the season before, that price was about standard for the current market. We didn't overpay, unless your personal valuation is the 1 all teams in the league should go by. We paid what we thought he was worth, which was acceptable for them to sell. We could've offered £5m, but we wouldn't have signed him. And Silva and Brands obviously wanted him.

Im genuinely not sure if you are trolling me at this point, and I feel like I may have been reeled in a bit, so congratulations if that was your plan.
I agree with what you've said on Sigurdsson, he's probably the clubs worst buy based on contribution relative to the price paid.

As for Iwobi yes I can see what your saying and agree. When we bought him they were attractive attributes age and caps, that would make any team want to buy.

At the time though when he was bought I asked myself why is Arsenal selling? They have some of the best coaching in the world at that club, why hasn't Iwobi kicked on and claimed a first team place? I came to the conclusion Arsenal tried their best and then come to the conclusion, he doesn't have what it takes for them. Therefore he doesn't have what it takes for us. We should be looking for young and up and coming, not young had their chance and didn't quite make it types. Or old and looking for a retirement club types - Sigurdsson and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.