2019/20 Marcel Brands

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fans get the benefit of hindsight. A director of football doesn't.
Isn't Brands supposed to be an expert though, isn't it his job to sign players he knows will make it and not sign them in hope?

Of course fans are using hindsight, how else can you judge him?
I guess he should have known that his 2 first choice midfielders would miss almost an entire season

I have issues regarding Brands but I think the “us not signing anyone straight away” shouts are a little unfair. Everton don’t have any kind of allure at all to established players (no Ancelotti doesn’t change that) and to compare us to Chelsea and clubs of that ilk who people like Ziyech and Werner actually want to play for is way off the mark imo.

Agents will also be using covid as even more of a ploy topull out of stuff and get their clients better moves.

I have issues regarding Brands but I think the “us not signing anyone straight away” shouts are a little unfair. Everton don’t have any kind of allure at all to established players (no Ancelotti doesn’t change that) and to compare us to Chelsea and clubs of that ilk who people like Ziyech and Werner actually want to play for is way off the mark imo.

Agents will also be using covid as even more of a ploy topull out of stuff and get their clients better moves.

People have said he will be judged on this window.

Even some of his biggest critics have said they are willing to see how this window pans out.

Ive even said it myself, last window for various reasons hasn't worked out, he's got a LOT of work to do this window, but its a window that still has 2 months to run.

Of course we all want players in next week, I mean who doesn't want to pay players to go on holiday!!! I kid, I kid, we do of course want them before early September, but this window is a strange 1, unlike any before it.

I do think people need to accept that the bulk of our work will be done October 5th.

Steve WalshMarcel Brands
Appointed21/06/201616/05/2018
Players In2616
Players Loaned3845
Players Out1714
Players released1426
Total deals in/out95101
Spent (including loans)264 Million189.5 Million
Income from player sales165.6 Million104.5 Million
Net Spend98.4 Million85 Million
Average income from sales16.5 mill13 mill
Average Spend per player14.6 mill21 mill
Players in - Yearly wage (estimated)55.9 mill36.4 mill
Players out - Yearly wage (estimated)32.7 mill55.3 mill
Net wages in to out23.2 mill-18.9 mill
Decent player transfers33
Failed transfers143
Average transfers510
Players signed 26 and over102

Comparison for Walsh v Brands.

Walsh went with more experience but 50% of his signings where midfielders. He also pushed the wage bill up by 20% of the Annual turnover.

Be interesting to see if the next set of accounts reflect the work Brands has done to reduce the overall wage bill.

Brands has brought in more of a balanced mix of squad players and reduced the average age of the squad.

But he has failed to bring in good enough replacements in Midfield for the players who have left and those who he has signed have been injury prone.

Steve WalshMarcel Brands
Players In2616
Players Loaned3845
Players Out1714
Players released1426
Total deals in/out95101
Failed transfers143
Average transfers510

Walsh went with more experience but 50% of his signings where midfielders. He also pushed the wage bill up by 20% of the Annual turnover.

Be interesting to see if the next set of accounts reflect the work Brands has done to reduce the overall wage bill.

Brands has brought in more of a balanced mix of squad players and reduced the average age of the squad.

But he has failed to bring in good enough replacements in Midfield for the players who have left and those who he has signed have been injury prone.

Can we use this table in some sort of prosecution, do you think?

Without the points we take from home games we will be a strong relegation candidate and next season is a great equaliser for us when we lose our Goodison advantage. We generally sweep aside the dross at home, even when we are atrocious, but they will all fancy their chances against our midfield and no fans. If Brands can’t upgrade our midfield (3 of which are his awful signings in the first place) then we are in deep trouble. Ancelotti can’t work miracles.

Can’t believe he has the audacity to cry about leaks while leaking he’s crying it in.

It’s not a coincidence Gabriel future is about to be sorted and they’re laying the PR groundwork to blame some “mole” for him not signing.

Rat.

He’s just not experienced at buying players in a very competitive market. No doubt PSV bought players others were in for but their pulling power in that different market may have been different. Competing for 25 mill players in the premier league is hard. We should be speaking to agents all the time, have good relationships with them so we have a fair idea who will come and who won’t. Sadly, if we want to beat the likes of arsenal to a signature we need to offer a premium which it appears we don’t have. It’s alright penny pinching with Barca over Gomes when your only competition is west ham and he’s played a year on loan with you. I mean why are we bidding for hjolberg when he wants to go to Spurs??? Are we just appeasing fans again? Are we hoping spurs don’t go in for him? They should have this information and if they don’t then it’s poor knowledge of the market. Spend the season identifying players, building relationships with agents and go in for the players with the right figures. Him now moaning is worrying as it seems two of our main targets are gone and they, for some reason, expected to get them???

Steve WalshMarcel Brands
Players In2616
Players Loaned3845
Players Out1714
Players released1426
Total deals in/out95101
Failed transfers143
Average transfers510

Koeman v Brands for most of that. And its like comparing bad versus bad.

The underlying story is that Koeman spent massive on fees and wages; Brands coming in has spent massive on fees and only shifted high earners out by giving them away.

Moral of the story: dont touch Dutch football.

Without the points we take from home games we will be a strong relegation candidate and next season is a great equaliser for us when we lose our Goodison advantage. We generally sweep aside the dross at home, even when we are atrocious, but they will all fancy their chances against our midfield and no fans. If Brands can’t upgrade our midfield (3 of which are his awful signings in the first place) then we are in deep trouble. Ancelotti can’t work miracles.
Losing the Goodison advantage, you mean because there are no fans? We have been awful with fans, dont see how losing a blanket of abuse aimed at the players is going to hurt us.

That aside I do worry about us next season, we cant wait until the end of the window.

Losing the Goodison advantage, you mean because there are no fans? We have been awful with fans, dont see how losing a blanket of abuse aimed at the players is going to hurt us.

That aside I do worry about us next season, we cant wait until the end of the window.

Goodison is a huge benefit and its baffling to see people say its better to have an empty ground.

Status
Not open for further replies.