2019/20 Marcel Brands

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mason Holgate credits the faith of Director of Football Marcel Brands for aiding his Everton resurgence in the past 12 months.

Centre-back Holgate, who signed a renewed five-year contract in March following a succession of superlative performances, feared his time at Goodison Park might be up after returning from a loan spell with West Bromwich Albion last summer.

Suspecting he would be fourth in line for an Everton centre-half spot – behind Michael Keane, Yerry Mina and a potential new recruit – Holgate approached Brands with a view to arranging another loan.

Events dictated Holgate would remain with Everton, however, and by dint of the 23-year-old's ongoing determination to finesse his defensive capabilities, coupled with his deep pit of self-belief, the defender emerged as one of the major success stories of the Blues' season.

“It has been very difficult at times and I thought I was going to have to leave and start afresh to get playing,” Holgate told evertonfc.com.

“I spoke to Marcel before going to West Brom and I did the same at the start of the season because I thought I would have to go out to play games.

“I have made clear for the past two years I just want to play football.

“I felt I needed to get my point across and show I wanted more than to be filling up a space here.

“But I am glad I stayed with it and the Club stayed with me.

“Marcel has always shown faith in me."

Dutchman Brands pointed to Holgate’s perseverance and diligence as sources of inspiration when addressing Everton’s players at a team gathering late in 2019.

Those characteristics were passed down by parents Tony and Julie, by their son's reckoning.

And they have compelled Holgate to work assiduously on his primary duty of defending since coming from Barnsley six years ago.

Roundly praised for his ability on the ball – and Holgate’s poise was underlined with a couple of fabulous midfield displays during the recently-finished campaign – the player has latterly garnered attention for his ability to shutout opposition strikers.

“It [work ethic] is a family trait,” said Holgate.

“My mum and dad always worked very hard and instilled in me that if you wanted something, you had to go and work for it.

“Nothing is handed to you. That has stayed with me.

“It is nice if people notice I am focused and working hard but I don’t do it to be patted on the back.

“I concentrate on myself and those are things I should be doing as a given.

“I have worked really hard on the defensive side of my game since I started at Everton.

“I always felt I had ability on the ball, it was the defensive side I wanted to improve.

“It is pleasing people are starting to notice that side of my game.

“I see myself as a ball-playing centre half but with a lot of those types of players, it is easy to say, ‘He’s good on the ball but can’t defend’.

“That followed me around in my early years.

“It is something I’ve worked really hard on, so people couldn’t level that at me.

“The first job is defending and you have to nail down that part of your game before you can play.”

Holgate featured 32 times for Everton in 2019/20 – starting 29 matches – and would have added to that total but for a shin problem which blighted the closing few weeks of his season.

The Englishman committed to using his extended run in the team – he wasn’t displaced after getting his Premier League chance back in October, other than for a one-game rest – as another means of upgrading his game.

Furthermore, his revised standing and relative longevity are adding weight to Holgate’s words in Everton’s dressing room.

“You learn from everything you should or shouldn’t have done in matches,” continued Holgate.

“I can sit here and think, ‘I shouldn’t have done this or that', but when someone is running at you, you have a split-second to make a decision.

“It has to come naturally: the ability to react and make the right choice.

“I don’t feel I’m seen as a young lad in the dressing room – and that’s not how I view myself.

“There’s only Seamus [Coleman] who has been in the First Team longer than me.

“If there’s something to be said, I will say it.

“I’ve never been shy of speaking up. I think if you asked the boys, they would say I get my point across.

“There’s probably more of an onus on me to do it now.

“I’ve been around the First Team four years and it is down to me to get across to everyone what it means to play for Everton.”

His haters will NOT like that.

Mason Holgate credits the faith of Director of Football Marcel Brands for aiding his Everton resurgence in the past 12 months.

Centre-back Holgate, who signed a renewed five-year contract in March following a succession of superlative performances, feared his time at Goodison Park might be up after returning from a loan spell with West Bromwich Albion last summer.

Suspecting he would be fourth in line for an Everton centre-half spot – behind Michael Keane, Yerry Mina and a potential new recruit – Holgate approached Brands with a view to arranging another loan.

Events dictated Holgate would remain with Everton, however, and by dint of the 23-year-old's ongoing determination to finesse his defensive capabilities, coupled with his deep pit of self-belief, the defender emerged as one of the major success stories of the Blues' season.

“It has been very difficult at times and I thought I was going to have to leave and start afresh to get playing,” Holgate told evertonfc.com.

“I spoke to Marcel before going to West Brom and I did the same at the start of the season because I thought I would have to go out to play games.

“I felt I needed to get my point across and show I wanted more than to be filling up a space here.

Dutchman Brands pointed to Holgate’s perseverance and diligence as sources of inspiration when addressing Everton’s players at a team gathering late in 2019.

Those characteristics were passed down by parents Tony and Julie, by their son's reckoning.

And they have compelled Holgate to work assiduously on his primary duty of defending since coming from Barnsley six years ago.

Roundly praised for his ability on the ball – and Holgate’s poise was underlined with a couple of fabulous midfield displays during the recently-finished campaign – the player has latterly garnered attention for his ability to shutout opposition strikers.

“My mum and dad always worked very hard and instilled in me that if you wanted something, you had to go and work for it.

“It is nice if people notice I am focused and working hard but I don’t do it to be patted on the back.

“I have worked really hard on the defensive side of my game since I started at Everton.

“I always felt I had ability on the ball, it was the defensive side I wanted to improve.

“I see myself as a ball-playing centre half but with a lot of those types of players, it is easy to say, ‘He’s good on the ball but can’t defend’.

“It is something I’ve worked really hard on, so people couldn’t level that at me.

“The first job is defending and you have to nail down that part of your game before you can play.”

Holgate featured 32 times for Everton in 2019/20 – starting 29 matches – and would have added to that total but for a shin problem which blighted the closing few weeks of his season.

The Englishman committed to using his extended run in the team – he wasn’t displaced after getting his Premier League chance back in October, other than for a one-game rest – as another means of upgrading his game.

Furthermore, his revised standing and relative longevity are adding weight to Holgate’s words in Everton’s dressing room.

“You learn from everything you should or shouldn’t have done in matches,” continued Holgate.

“I can sit here and think, ‘I shouldn’t have done this or that', but when someone is running at you, you have a split-second to make a decision.

“I don’t feel I’m seen as a young lad in the dressing room – and that’s not how I view myself.

“I’ve never been shy of speaking up. I think if you asked the boys, they would say I get my point across.

“I’ve been around the First Team four years and it is down to me to get across to everyone what it means to play for Everton.”

All I am really getting here is that Julie and Tony are lovely people.

Struggling to see where the praise is in what he says. “Brands has showed faith in me”
Best get that statue built.

Is Brands aware that the season starts in 5 weeks?

How the hell are we going to have new signings settled in that time?

Another slow start beckons and crap season ahead because of this man.

I’ve always thought that, given time, Marcel Brands would do a good job here, however, the signing of Alex Iwobi for a very inflated fee in last summer’s window has made me think.
Is Brands the man to lead us as DOF on a long term basis? Anybody can get a signing wrong, but, Iwobi, massively over priced, Delph, made of glass and a malevolent influence around the place, Gbamin, well who knows? He’s been here a year and played twice or three times.
Brands did not cover himself in glory last time around, let’s hope he gets it right this time. P.S. I don’t like his stubborn refusal to do business in the winter window either.

Is Brands aware that the season starts in 5 weeks?

How the hell are we going to have new signings settled in that time?

Another slow start beckons and crap season ahead because of this man.
I’ve always thought that, given time, Marcel Brands would do a good job here, however, the signing of Alex Iwobi for a very inflated fee in last summer’s window has made me think.
Is Brands the man to lead us as DOF on a long term basis? Anybody can get a signing wrong, but, Iwobi, massively over priced, Delph, made of glass and a malevolent influence around the place, Gbamin, well who knows? He’s been here a year and played twice or three times.
Brands did not cover himself in glory last time around, let’s hope he gets it right this time. P.S. I don’t like his stubborn refusal to do business in the winter window either.

This window is really sink or swim for him.

Last summer

Lossl
Delph
Iwobi
Kean
Gbamin
Gomes
Sidibe (loan)

Aside from Kean (who i rate) and Gbamin (obviously) 5 / 7 players should never have been signed.

For the Iwobi + Delph + Gomes fees of circa £57mil im amazed we couldnt spend better. Hes been injured so we cant analyse but add in Gbamin and its £80mil.

Iwobi / Delph / Gomes / Gbamin = £80mil

Not on my watch...

another one for Dave’s Judas list.

This window is really sink or swim for him.

Last summer

Lossl
Delph
Iwobi
Kean
Gbamin
Gomes
Sidibe (loan)

Aside from Kean (who i rate) and Gbamin (obviously) 5 / 7 players should never have been signed.

For the Iwobi + Delph + Gomes fees of circa £57mil im amazed we couldnt spend better. Hes been injured so we cant analyse but add in Gbamin and its £80mil.

Iwobi / Delph / Gomes / Gbamin = £80mil

Not on my watch...

Delph looked a bargain, proven winner, could play in a few positions, leadership qualities and a decent player. Minus side always had injury problems and tbh, sigh, that's the only part we've seen of him last season.
Gbamin, who knows again been unlucky had two horrendous injuries, jury is out.
Gomes looked a player when we had him on loan,, but that was with an energetic ball winner next to him, Gueye. Another horrendous injury, hasn't looked the same player.
Iwobi, decent pacy young player at Arsenal, hasn't looked good at all really, young enough to improve ?
Big season for Brands....

I’m not sure whether it’s Brands per se or the fact that we have moved from the Moyes/Kenwright model where, for all their flaws, you had a chairman and manager on the same page, to recruitment by committee with various competing ideas. Add into the mix a ludicrously high managerial turnover and it’s all a mess.

Delph looked a bargain, proven winner, could play in a few positions, leadership qualities and a decent player. Minus side always had injury problems and tbh, sigh, that's the only part we've seen of him last season.
Gbamin, who knows again been unlucky had two horrendous injuries, jury is out.
Gomes looked a player when we had him on loan,, but that was with an energetic ball winner next to him, Gueye. Another horrendous injury, hasn't looked the same player.
Iwobi, decent pacy young player at Arsenal, hasn't looked good at all really, young enough to improve ?
Big season for Brands....

The concerns for me arent with Gbamin or Kean.

Delph: Surely someone who met him or asked for references would have realised the bloke was poison.

Gomes: I wasnt bothered either way if we signed him...surprised we went over £18mil though...i mean £22mil was 'ok' if we were signing real quality and he would be a rotation player.

Iwobi: I listened to others who used stats to show he was good. Seemed ok in the 10 role but not exactly Zidane or even a djorjaeff...

£57mil for those 3 players...incl Gbamin circa £80mil.

I think i would have done a better job of spending £80mil tbh.

Marcel waking up and checking his daily activities list.

E26-EB940-A3-D1-40-AD-99-A4-5-E0-A204-BEFF8.gif

I think, knowing we are a mid table team, if we want to buy high quality we will have to pay way over the odds early in the window or wait to see if a high level club comes in and if it doesn’t maybe we get a last minute deal. This may or may not happen, if it doesn’t we then go to panic buy.
If we want to buy early then it’s players desperate to move or clubs desperate to sell so either old, low quality, or an unproven player from a lower level.
Until we’re like City, this is our predicament IMO.

The Bees have assembled a young and attacking squad via a recruitment model largely based on analytics, but Frank will now face a battle to hang on to Watkins and Benrahma, who are likely be the subject of transfer interest from Premier League clubs

Just read this about the Fulham Brentford game on BBC. Brentford have some good young
Anyone know what recruitment based on analytics means?

Status
Not open for further replies.