2019/20 Marcel Brands

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which is two players more than the number we had in 17/18 which was realistically one (Gueye).

I´m not even convinced the squad is better than the one in 17/18. They finished lower in the league for starters. Probably the biggest problem for us is how much other teams have improved since then whilst we have stood still. In terms of signings, last summer was absolutely rotten. Another transfer window like that will see Richarlison looking for a way out.

We've been through this before. Disd Cleberly strike you as a player we could shift out for decent cash? Ot Jelavic or Anichebe?

Brands just doesn't have the credentials to do that side of the job. He prefers the other side of the job: to throw cash around on players.

He sold Lookman Onyekeru Gueye Klaasen all for decent cash. I wouldn’t say Jelavic Anichebe or Cleverley were decent sales at all.

I’d be astounded if Everton bought a player without a medical which is what you’ve stated Brands has done.

He's 'hand in glove with Ancelotti'...a man he had no part in bringing to the club. We'll see this summer just how much notice Ancelotti takes of Brands and his expensive (usually injured) late signings.

The brilliant job: does this include selling for a pittance or giving away free the players he inherited? The brilliance of buying players without have them conduct a medical? The brilliance of paying just on £70M for three duds like Kean, Iwobi and Delph (and the kings ransom in wages they command)?

You see a change from one to the other as a massive leap forward? I dont. Not one bit of it. You are peddling a fantasy there. Richarlison and Digne aside (one of whom Brands didn't bring in) we are a shambles of a first team squad. He's been here two seasons and made no improvement to our quality overall. We remain a team that largely relies on Richarlison.

And look at the table. It never lies they say:

We finished 8th under Allardyce before he arrived; maintained that the following season; and we end up this season in 12th. We're failing as a football organisation. Brands is the head of that organisation and he is responsible for the lack of quality and the finishing position.

I realy have no idea what this feller has to do to be considered a failure.

Let's see if he gets that contract extension. The overwhelming odds must be that he wont get one right now.

Hopefully a case of backwards to go forwards.
But in the cold light of day, the club finished not just below the top 6 that Brands was brought in to crack, but Wolves who have moved ahead of Everton in less than 2 years, Leicester... and Sheffield United, Burnley and Southampton. Those last 3 are damning on what has been an absolute shambles in both recruitment and on pitch quality these past few years.

The club are a joke at the moment, and the defeat to the RS kids was something that should have been unthinkable with the money spent these past few seasons.

They simply have to get it right this Summer. Recruit a captain, an on field leader who will not allow hiding and passing the buck of responsibility on the pitch.

Big job to do for Brands this summer. His future here depends on it imo.

I´m not even convinced the squad is better than the one in 17/18. They finished lower in the league for starters. Probably the biggest problem for us is how much other teams have improved since then whilst we have stood still. In terms of signings, last summer was absolutely rotten. Another transfer window like that will see Richarlison looking for a way out.

That 17/18 squad was rancid. An injured Michael Keane with his foot swollen was considered our best centreback option. Fans on here were made up when Coleman returned because he looked a different league to Kenny. Martina played left back. Our attacking options were any combination of Sandro Rooney Sigurdsson. We had players like Lookman and Vlasic not even good enough to displace those wasters. Players like Klaasen who didn’t even look like he was a professional footballer. Players like Lennon and Mirallas hanging around in and out of the real as it suited. At one point we were gutted because Niasse got banned for 2 games as he was at the time our most potent attacking option. Niasse.

I’d much rather have the likes of Digne Mina Holgate Gomes Richarlison Kean Calvert Lewin Gordon than ever see an Everton team line up with the likes of Martina Williams Kenny Schneiderlin Siggurdson Niasse in it.

The league position was poor this year not helped by injuries at all, but I’d be amazed if more people would genuine let rather have the squad of players we started 17/18 with rather than the squad we have now. Apart from Gueye (and Holgate DCL who have developed) I wouldn’t want a single one of those players in the current squad.

But in the cold light of day, the club finished not just below the top 6 that Brands was brought in to crack, but Wolves who have moved ahead of Everton in less than 2 years, Leicester... and Sheffield United, Burnley and Southampton. Those last 3 are damning on what has been an absolute shambles in both recruitment and on pitch quality these past few years.

The club are a joke at the moment, and the defeat to the RS kids was something that should have been unthinkable with the money spent these past few seasons.

They simply have to get it right this Summer. Recruit a captain, an on field leader who will not allow hiding and passing the buck of responsibility on the pitch.

Absolutlely spot on...and we must have outspent them all combined by about 3:1.

He sold Lookman Onyekeru Gueye Klaasen all for decent cash. I wouldn’t say Jelavic Anichebe or Cleverley were decent sales at all.

I’d be astounded if Everton bought a player without a medical which is what you’ve stated Brands has done.
Klaassen was a loss; Gueye was a giveaway given the 3 year left on his contract and the world's richest owners of a football club wanted him.

That 17/18 squad was rancid. An injured Michael Keane with his foot swollen was considered our best centreback option. Fans on here were made up when Coleman returned because he looked a different league to Kenny. Martina played left back. Our attacking options were any combination of Sandro Rooney Sigurdsson. We had players like Lookman and Vlasic not even good enough to displace those wasters. Players like Klaasen who didn’t even look like he was a professional footballer. Players like Lennon and Mirallas hanging around in and out of the real as it suited. At one point we were gutted because Niasse got banned for 2 games as he was at the time our most potent attacking option. Niasse.

I’d much rather have the likes of Digne Mina Holgate Gomes Richarlison Kean Calvert Lewin Gordon than ever see an Everton team line up with the likes of Martina Williams Kenny Schneiderlin Siggurdson Niasse in it.

The league position was poor this year not helped by injuries at all, but I’d be amazed if more people would genuine let rather have the squad of players we started 17/18 with rather than the squad we have now. Apart from Gueye (and Holgate DCL who have developed) I wouldn’t want a single one of those players in the current squad.

I think both squads were and are rancid. You list those players in bold but I can give you similar players stealing a living from this club right now: Davies, Sigurdsson, Iwobi, Walcott and Delph. Talent wise you can make an argument for them being better but in terms of hunger and wanting to do well at this club? It´s obvious to me they are extremely lacking and we are going nowhere with them.

It actually scares me that people think we´re on the right track when we´ve had our lowest league position for 16 years. This isn´t a case of a few tweaks here and there like when we were close under Moyes. The whole thing needs looking at from top to bottom. The inevitability of another season of failure beckoning appears lost on some, I can only guess it´s because you´re expecting Ancelotti to work miracles but it´s very unlikely to happen and even if it did it´s even more unlikely it could be sustained.

Both spot on. Brands seems to wear a Teflon coat that some won't look beyond. Maybe it's because so many hopes were pinned on him being some sort of mastermind, banners made in his honour etc, that people are just too embarrassed to see the facts.

Both spot on. Brands seems to wear a Teflon coat that some won't look beyond. Maybe it's because so many hopes were pinned on him being some sort of mastermind, banners made in his honour etc, that people are just too embarrassed to see the facts.

As somebody who supports what Brands is doing I don't think "we" ignore his failings.

I called him out on his lack of CB last summer and the decision to spend 34m on Iwobi is possibly a sackable offence.

IMO these are the only 2 mistakes he's made, clearly others see things differently, but that's up to them.

Bollocks. Brands is still clearing out the tat from koeman and Walsh (even martinez - niasse has only just gone). They are the reason why we aren't progressing.

Status
Not open for further replies.