2019/20 Marcel Brands

Status
Not open for further replies.
Weird one marcel, he's obviously very good at negotiating and getting good players for a good price but it seems each season he's been here he's signed very good players but missed out in crucial areas

IE last season we signed digne gomes etc but we missed out on getting a top striker which ultimately for me cost us Europe

this season he's done well again getting kean delph etc but he's missed out getting a CB and a direct replacement for gueye ( that could be gbamin tbf )

seems like we take a step forward with a signing and then a step back by not replacing other players

Yes blue its not fair.

We have just been unlucky for 25 years now. One day the likes of Silva/Brands/Keane/Martinez/Koeman/Mina/Gomes/Moyes etc etc will be seen for what they are.

Top class winners who will go down in history as great servants for Everton football club and put honours on the board.

There is a squad of good players at the club but for whatever reason they are not gelling at the moment. I think there is a good deal of talent there and when playing well are capable of delivering a lot more than we see currently.

I do believe that pressure is now starting to build on the manager, he is in his second full season. He certainly had a lengthy poor run last season but most of us accepted that as part of the learning process and he did turn things around in spectacular fashion at the end of the season.

It is somewhat worrying that we seem to be back in the slump again unable to defend or score enough goals. I don't think there is any suggestion yet of the manager losing his job but there is an uneasiness starting to build a the team needs some good results to stop that building to a level which could cause a problem for Marco Silva.
We are unlucky with injuries and some players will take time to settle so we have to try to be patient but we did spend money and signed a number of players and I think one or two poor results more and there could be trouble for the manager.

:eek: Is a miracle happening? Dave finally admitting Martinez was a false idol?
That's what he was sold to us as. That's my meaning - on all of them, not just him.

Martinez was a much better coach than most give credit for - as he showed while here in his first 18 months and before and after he was here. That's always been my position on him, not that he was the answer to all our prayers.

Anyway: Brands - feet of clay.

Had a very good 1st summer window, but the team is weaker after this 1. I said after the window had closed I had major worries about the midfield, it was too light weight and not dominant enough. Unfortunately it's been proven right so far. When you have players not playing because of a bit of a sore rib, you know your in bother.

There's obvioulsy a couple of glaring things he got wrong this summer: the CB situation was a calamity - and one he couldn't justify when he gave an interview post window (an exclusive interview most couldn't access, btw, which was also a major PR gaffe) then there's the matter of accepting off one of the richest clubs in the world a paltry £29M for our most combative player...and not replacing him adequately.

One other major thing he's got wrong in the time here though is the attack. Finally we have an attacker, yes. But there's no blend to this attacking force of ours. It's all a bit samey and lacking in variation. They're all athletic and pacey and chase and close down, but we have no forward who can snap up a chance out of nothing or turn the key on the edge of the box and get team mates in. It's one of the reasons I'd dispense of Sigurdsson and hand his place to Bernard and tell him to play higher up the pitch.

I said post match on Sunday "where's the plan?".

I dont see it.

Did you just slate brown shoes?!

Screenshotting that.
I am always realistic on Roberto. He is a fine manager, but he had a torrid time here last 18 months. He couldn't work with the poor material we had by that point, and they wouldn't work for him. It had to come to an end.

A Roberto at Everton with the cash Koeman had to spend would be a different proposition.

In any case: Brands - a straw man.

There's obvioulsy a couple of glaring things he got wrong this summer: the CB situation was a calamity - and one he couldn't justify when he gave an interview post window (an exclusive interview most couldn't access, btw, which was also a major PR gaffe) then there's the matter of accepting off one of the richest clubs in the world a paltry £29M for our most combative player...and not replacing him adequately.

One other major thing he's got wrong in the time here though is the attack. Finally we have an attacker, yes. But there's no blend to this attacking force of ours. It's all a bit samey and lacking in variation. They're all athletic and pacey and chase and close down, but we have no forward who can snap up a chance out of nothing or turn the key on the edge of the box and get team mates in. It's one of the reasons I'd dispense of Sigurdsson and hand his place to Bernard and tell him to play higher up the pitch.

I said post match on Sunday "where's the plan?".

I dont see it.

"we have no forward who can snap up a chance out of nothing or turn the key on the edge of the box and get team mates in".

They cost money, Dave. A little bit more than the Carpetbagger will fork out, I fear. Hence the signing of Kean, who we all hope will settle and adapt to life in a new league, and previous inept managers squandering of money on ineptitudes like Tosun and Niasse.

Status
Not open for further replies.