2019/20 Marcel Brands

Status
Not open for further replies.
:Blink: Honestly wonder whether people on here are watching us at times. The main thing Silva did across last season was sort out our defensive organisation as a team! Hence the large rise in clean sheets in the second half of the season

Clean sheets 18/19:

1. Liverpool 21
2. Manchester City 20
3. Chelsea 16
4. Everton 14
5. Tottenham Hotspur 13

And you are right that the attacking output improved too. Taken together, that's why we ended with a far better goal difference than the season before and more points. :)

Still loads of room for improvement, and why we can trust what he and Marcel are doing.
Nice 1 for finding that!

You still here? Shouldn’t you be focusing on the game tonight?
Looks like the young evertonians of today have turned into the kopites of old.

Arrogant, close-minded, unable to debate with reason/clarity and having the inability to see anything wrong at a club that has stood still for years and will continue to do so next season despite huge investment in players/wages.

Good posts Jimmy. You give clear reasoning to your thoughts and intelligently point out that many of the signings may prove good or could prove poor. And that existing players may improve or go backwards,

To give any criticism to the team or management (unless we have just lost 2 games 3-0) on this forum is seen as some sort of heresay.

Stuff like `right its time Holgate stepped up, he is first change at centre half'. `Hes never done anything wrong, still improving'.
This is horrifyingly naive stuff. The lad was bang average in the championship last year (thats why no one at that level wanted to pay a few million for him) and was exposed massively at prem level the year before.

Looks like Silva is downbeat at the press conference today. Thats all you need to know, He knows if Gbamin isnt another Gueye our centre defence will be smashed to bits by the top 10 teams and we will lose points against the bottom 10 and he will probably lose his job.

Jeebus.

We aren't stronger than last season.

But in terms of the squad we are better and have more options which was the bare minimum after the window . The better the squad, the better the team can perform. The more Silva can change things and the more options on the pitch we have.

We can have a slow creative approach with Bernard and siggurdson and we can have a fast approach with Richardson and iwobi

We have defensive mids for away games and we have offensive CMS for at home. We finally have a second right back , just lacking a centre half but perhaps we do have that already and we don't realise.

Either way we are strong all over but the first 11 hasn't improved.

Liked much of your post apart from the last sentence. It all depends on what you regard as the first 11. Now who are the first 11? Bearing in mind the signings made for me the squad has improved and given Silva more options so to me the"first 11" has improved. If one talks of the first 11 it has to be realised who is sitting on the bench waiting to come on.

Liked much of your post apart from the last sentence. It all depends on what you regard as the first 11. Now who are the first 11? Bearing in mind the signings made for me the squad has improved and given Silva more options so to me the"first 11" has improved. If one talks of the first 11 it has to be realised who is sitting on the bench waiting to come on.

A team that has lost gueye and zouma the two best players last season and not replaced one and the other replaced with a total unknown. And then we have a striker juve couldn't get rid of quick enough on the cheap? Behave mate

Good points. And they underline just how much Brands has to learn about his job, this club and the league he's operating in.

Gosh Dave for me you come out with some guff. How long has Brands been here and where was he before?

Also good points missing out on Rojo and Smalling (HAH) good job on that. Watford were never going to let there player go, missed out on Zouma no chance when Lampard came in and as for Zaha this was all down to CP messing about. Good points = rubbish.

Yes, I understand that and it's a very fair point.

I don't think Brands is a failure or a fraud or whatever. But I also don't think he's the messiah, and it concerns me that we're going to go down the route of blindly believing everything he does is great and anyone who questions things is some sort of traitor. I'm not attempting to convince people Brands is rubbish, but I am kind of railing against the idea of chalking our successes down as masterstrokes and our failures down as outside of his control, just because it annoys me.

Fair enough, you have to be balanced. Given how much we just don't know though, I think you can only judge it in the round. And on the whole it's clear we have a plan and a structure in place; and that's why people are enthusiastic about what he is doing. No director of football will succeed on every single objective in a given window. But I agree that it doesn't mean you should go overboard either.

Disappointed that we didn't get a centre back over the line especially when Mina has this betting issue still hanging over him and the leagues propensity to punish Everton players for any wrong doings like the Niasse 'Dive' and his so far patchy injury record. Overall though we have to be reasonably happy with the window, we have shifted an awful lot of deadwood (some only on loan but at least it frees the wagebill up) and judging by Silva's press conference there are still more to go out. We have got one of the best young attacking talents in Europe, got Gomes for a snip, got a French international right back on the cheap and a young up and coming dm who by all accounts can also pass forwards. I also think Iwobi will turn out to be a really good signing who can fill in a number of positions. Definitely stronger other than cb all over the park, wage bill brought down and got rid of some dross. Solid window.

Fair enough, I'm in the same situation living abroad and I only know one person here who really follows the premier league. Plus I can't work up any enthusiasm for AA Gent (Trophy parade on boats excepted). Majority of people here think Everton are from London.

That last part shows the importance of the Docks project.

Get a side that competes at the top with a state of the art stadium on the waterfront and our stock will rise sharply.

Status
Not open for further replies.