2019/20 Marcel Brands

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the confusion I can’t understand. Brands has ultimate responsibility, but that doesn’t mean he would ignore the input from managers. Silva will have had lots of input. Carlo will have lots of input. It will be a ‘two tick‘ system. But Brands is DoF, so shoulders responsibility for the good and the bad. Don’t get the need to try to divide signings into DoF/Manager choices as if that‘s how multi-million pound deals are done - “you have this one, I’ll have the next”.

If he flops it will be "Why did Brands spend so much money on a 29-year-old"

If he succeeds it will be a stroke of genius from Carlo.

:hayee:

If he flops it will be "Why did Brands spend so much money on a 29-year-old"

If he succeeds it will be a stroke of genius from Carlo.

:hayee:
I think it’s obvious that Allan and James have both been wanted by Ancelotti as he has worked with both before. He is responsible for their signings in my eyes. We were after Dacoure last year, so you can assume this is a player Brands wants. Let’s hope Ancelloti does to.

Last edited:
I think it’s obvious that Allan and James have both been wanted by Ancelotti as he has worked with both before. He is responsible for their signings in my eyes. We were after Dacoure last year, so you can assume this is a player Brands wants. Let’s hop Ancelloti does to.

Every player we sign is wanted by both Brands and Carlo.

This is the confusion I can’t understand. Brands has ultimate responsibility, but that doesn’t mean he would ignore the input from managers. Silva will have had lots of input. Carlo will have lots of input. It will be a ‘two tick‘ system. But Brands is DoF, so shoulders responsibility for the good and the bad. Don’t get the need to try to divide signings into DoF/Manager choices as if that‘s how multi-million pound deals are done - “you have this one, I’ll have the next”.

I think you are confusing my post with a polarised opinion, i was more taking the mick, I hope they are both working together, elsewise what’s the point.

I would suggest however these signings are down to Carlo, his history with both, respect and draw. I think we can all accept that reasonably. I think Brands supported them ultimately, yet we know it’s against his preferred profile. I do think perhaps Carlo has more authority then previous managers and Brands maybe less then he had. But hopefully they are working together.

The jury is still out on Brands for me, are we signing Allan & Jamo if Carlo wasn’t here, no way. But like I say hopefully the relationship is mutually beneficial, we want both to be success really because that’s just good for Everton.

Last edited:

I think you are confusing my post with a polarised opinion, I hope they are both working together, elsewise what’s the point.

I would suggest however these signings are down to Carlo, I think we can all accept that reasonably. I think Brands supported them ultimately, yet we know it’s against his preferred profile. I do think perhaps Carlo has more authority then previous managers though and Brands maybe less then he had. But hopefully they are working together.

The jury still out on Brands for me, are we signing Allan & Jamo if Carlo wasn’t, no way. But like I say hopefully the relationship is mutually beneficial, we want both to be success really because that just good for a Everton.

ha. No I understand your position exactly. You seem to want to attribute signings to either DoF or manager, as shown by the above.

I’m no Brands fanboy, and the jury is still out for me (last summer‘s failure could be overturned by Kean and/or Gbamin having a good season), but he’s 50/50 as it stands. But how can we judge him clearly if we all dispute which signings are his and which are the managers?

He signs off on them, he’s responsible. That‘s how accountability works.

ha. No I understand your position exactly. You seem to want to attribute signings to either DoF or manager, as shown by the above.

I’m no Brands fanboy, and the jury is still out for me (last summer‘s failure could be overturned by Kean and/or Gbamin having a good season), but he’s 50/50 as it stands. But how can we judge him clearly if we all dispute which signings are his and which are the managers?

He signs off on them, he’s responsible. That‘s how accountability works.

Im not to bothered who signs players really, I’m bothered if there good ones or not. But I’m also clever enough to draw an opinion on the forces at play, it’s silly to suggest that Allan and Jamo aren’t here because if the Carlo draw, history, relationship and the manger pushing for them, I’m sure Brands supported it ultimately to.

Similarly to Richarlison, Gomes, i believe Silva was the lead. Brands supported it, due to history, relationships and connections.

Brands I’d attribute, Branthwaite, Digne and a few others. Deals like Iwobi, Delph and Bernard worry me though.

I think you are making the point that commenting on that, is necessarily critiscising, it’s not, I don’t really care who signs who, once players a good but I think it’s fine also to analyse, observe form an opinion and comment as well without being in or join a polarised camp of pro manager or DOF.

Good start, Marcel. No matter how delayed it is.

tenor.gif

Im not to bothered who signs players really, I’m bothered if there good ones or not. But I’m also clever enough to draw an opinion on the forces at play, it’s silly to suggest that Allan and Jamo aren’t here because if the Carlo draw, history, relationship and the manger pushing for them, I’m sure Brands supported it ultimately to.

Similarly to Richarlison, Gomes, i believe Silva was the lead. Brands supported it, due to history, relationships and connections.

Brands I’d attribute, Branthwaite, Digne and a few others. Deals like Iwobi, Delph and Bernard worry me though.

I think you are making point that commenting on that, is necessarily critiscising, it’s not, I don’t really care once players a good but I think it’s fine also to analyse, observe and comment without being in or join a polarised camp.

Again though, you say you’re not bothered who signs players, and have then divided 9 players into manager / DoF signings. Which is exactly my point.

EDIT: As I said somewhere above, the biggest failure of the DoF model, is the inability of fans to understand it, or to use different language, the ’perceived‘ murkiness of accountability.

Again though, you say you’re not bothered who signs players, and have divided 9 players into manager / DoF signings. Which is exactly my point.

Im not bothered about who signs them, once there good, but I think if they are bad deals for the club then I think that deserves scrutiny and accountability.

For example many are lauding Brands for the Allan fee and Jamo loan. That is very short sighted to me. We shouldn’t be in a position of having to sign more central midfielders or a no 10 after investing 44 mill in Iwobi and Delph and taking on 200k in weekly wages for both last summer.

That is bad recruitment and bad deals, it damages the club. I think it’s quite reasonable to analyse that, form an opinion, comment on that as ultimately it has an impact on the welfare of the club. You can’t have accountability unless someone is accountable for decisions, therefore I think we as fans have a responsibility to analyse and comment on issues such as that. I’m open minded in Brands I’ll give him credit and often do, I’ll also criticise when I think it’s warranted, I think that is how it should be.

Loyalty should always be to the club, beyond employees who ever they should be.

Last edited:
People cant even give him credit for getting a player for £22m that was valued around £60mill last year and who is owned by a club which is one of the worst to deal with when it comes to transfers.
He has done well. I imagine its a walk in the park next to shifting the numerous dossers though... That's his real challenge this window.

End of 17/18 season Sam Allardyce is in charge, the squad’s best player is Theo Walcott, the likes of Williams, Rooney, Bolasie, Siggurdson, Klaasen, Sandro are in the squad. Michael Keane with his foot two sizes too big is our best defender.

Enter Marcel Brands.

2 seasons later and Carlo Ancelotti is our manager. The squad contains Richarlison, Lucas Digne, Yerry Mina, Andre Gomes. A deal is agreed for Allan, and ones for James Rodriguez and Doucoure are in the pipeline. Young talent like DCL, Holgate and Gordon are flourishing in the first team. All of this has been done within the constraints of FFP that Koeman/Walsh left us and then made worse by the injury crisis under Silva and now Corona Virus.

Yet for some reason people think it’s edgy to hate this bloke. But ok, that’s football.

Status
Not open for further replies.