2019/20 Marcel Brands

Status
Not open for further replies.
i just can't see him turning things round this window. please prove me wrong, marcel, because i think this will be your last chance if you don't.

Pretty much zero goals and assists in all of those appearances despite being an attacking player
I recall he had very good stats at making chances despite his low assists record, which is what we were needing at the time.

Highly doubt he'll be sold, just hope he can have a much better season. Will be interesting to see how Ancelotti uses him and hopefully not stuck out wide where he's struggled

Played a number of games in the PL
A good age (23)
International player
European experience including a finalist in the EL
Cup winning experience (FA Cup)

It absolutely was a good signing on paper when we had Silva who only had Sigurdssen to play at 10 and Bernard playing left (I think i'm right in saying Richy was playing either RW or ST for us by the time the start of this season came around).

Wasn't he in like top 10/20 in Europe for key passes or chances created or something?

I recall he had very good stats at making chances despite his low assists record, which is what we were needing at the time.

Highly doubt he'll be sold, just hope he can have a much better season. Will be interesting to see how Ancelotti uses him and hopefully not stuck out wide where he's struggled

Yeah Iwobi is going nowhere, lot's of good qualities from his first run of games in the team and his few appearances as a #10.

Give him another season under Carlo to see if he can flourish or at least be a good squad man to have around.

If not I'm sure there'll be a few clubs willing to take a punt on him for at least half of what we spent on him.

View attachment 96742

This is from an Athletic article today on our recruitment system (a very good read for those that subscribe).

Feel like the harsh criticism is a touch unfounded. Definitely a wait and see.

Richie and Digne brilliant business (would be worth combined £100m - practically double in value)

Mina good player

Bernard a free - so strong sell on value

Kean and JPG - can't make a call either way yet

Iwobi - looks at this point to be a poor pick up, but played out of position

Delph - bad move, but only £8mil.

Branthwaite - has the potential to be the Coleman deal of this decade

Really interesting article. Thanks for pointing it out.

The article lays out exactly how our recruitment system works. Data driven, comparing favourably to the majority of our peers. Lots of talented people involved for a long time.

Goes on to confirm what most of us suspected. While Walsh was a great talent spotter he wasn't someone who could organise and plan a whole department and process. He couldn't manage opinions from Kenwright and Moshiri either. Brands is painted as the anthesis of him.

The Athletic said:
In Everton’s new set-up, Brands has been described on occasion as the “middle man”. “The chairman (Bill Kenwright) will offer his advice, Moshiri will speak with influential agents and then you’ve got Brands, the middle man,” says a source.

“Moshiri could call the coach or Marcel at 2am and say, ‘I’ve been thinking… do you think we could get so and so…?’”

Another source previously commented: “If a deal needs a kick up the arse, Moshiri is the one to call.

[Later on Brands:]
Strong-willed in nature according to those that know him best, sources believe Brands would resist any attempts from his bosses to unduly influence recruitment. Instead, he is expected to work closely with manager Carlo Ancelotti to improve the squad.

View attachment 96742

This is from an Athletic article today on our recruitment system (a very good read for those that subscribe).

Feel like the harsh criticism is a touch unfounded. Definitely a wait and see.

Richie and Digne brilliant business (would be worth combined £100m - practically double in value)

Mina good player

Bernard a free - so strong sell on value

Kean and JPG - can't make a call either way yet

Iwobi - looks at this point to be a poor pick up, but played out of position

Delph - bad move, but only £8mil.

Branthwaite - has the potential to be the Coleman deal of this decade
A conservatively calculated figure of 180M spent on 12 players, of whom only 2/3 can be declared a qualified success...and Richarlison is one of those - a player we know would have been Silva's choice of player and the purchase driven by him. And the losses on the players sold are catastrophic.

A conservatively calculated figure of 180M spent on 12 players, of whom only 2/3 can be declared a qualified success...and Richarlison is one of those - a player we know would have been Silva's choice of player and the purchase driven by him. And the losses on the players sold are catastrophic.

There is actually no point engaging with you on this topic. We all know you don't like him - you've made the point at least 100 times.

There is actually no point engaging with you on this topic. We all know you don't like him - you've made the point at least 100 times.
He's a spendthrift and he's not savvy enough to sell our players for what they're worth.

That's one of the major reasons we are where we are.

Pretty much zero goals and assists in all of those appearances despite being an attacking player
1596634624597.png

He's a spendthrift and he's not savvy enough to sell our players for what they're worth.

That's one of the major reasons we are where we are.

Dave - I know, son. That's now the 101st time you have said it.

Fine that you have that opinion and I'm not trying to change it (although I disagree with it), but it's bloody boring now.

Status
Not open for further replies.