Jury’s out:
Mina
Kean
Gomes
Good/Excellent
Bernard (as a free)
Richalison
Digne.
Haven’t included Gbamin as the lad has had wretched luck with injuries so we can’t even judge him.

Bernard I’d say was good not excellent and with him being on a free I think he’s overall been a good signing. At nearly 30m Iwobi hasn’t done anything to justify that outlay.
So are you judging players on their price or ability?
Iwobi hasn’t been great, had an injury and played in a few positions, but Ancelotti has started him the 2 games back. Bernard imo isn’t any better and I think Ancelotti prefers iwobi.

I think iwobi will get next season, I don’t see Bernard at 28 at the start Of next season improving on anything he’s done in his first 2yrs at the club, which hasn’t been much.

I'm going to stick my neck out on this one. If Gblammo and Gomes never got injured we'd all be having a different conversation.

As far as I could see Gblammo and Gomes seemed a good match, complimenting each other well in theory.

Having a working midfield would have made a huge difference to us, also making the rest of our team look better. We'd be singing Brand's praise if their legs didn't get Everton'd.

Overall I think Brands has been positive. We can't underestimate the mess Walsh got us in to. He was heading us towards the Championship.

Fine margins at this level, but I think we'll get a much better view of Brand's ability in the coming window when he's forced to take another go at the midfield.

OK but do you not agree with his opinion that frequently clubs would add a premium to their players in January because they're needed in the middle of the season?

Do you not think if we were approached in January for one of the very few players we don't want to sell that we wouldn't put the price up because the player is needed to finish the season?

I get wanting to criticize Brands' performance but don't see the reasoning behind beating him with a stick simply because UTD signed a decent player for more than our club record fee in January.

Problem for me is there is little desire to even look to improve in January - we all knew we were dire and bare bones at CM yet we didnt even try for a loan etc.

I'm going to stick my neck out on this one. If Gblammo and Gomes never got injured we'd all be having a different conversation.

As far as I could see Gblammo and Gomes seemed a good match, complimenting each other well in theory.

Having a working midfield would have made a huge difference to us, also making the rest of our team look better. We'd be singing Brand's praise if their legs didn't get Everton'd.

Overall I think Brands has been positive. We can't underestimate the mess Walsh got us in to. He was heading us towards the Championship.

Fine margins at this level, but I think we'll get a much better view of Brand's ability in the coming window when he's forced to take another go at the midfield.

Tbf mate Gomes was hit and miss last season and before his injury (see Villa away which was the worst CM performance I had seen in a while).

Its a bit of a myth that his injury has made him slower/immobile he wasnt the quickest/ sharpest before his injury.

Tbf mate Gomes was hit and miss last season and before his injury (see Villa away which was the worst CM performance I had seen in a while).

Its a bit of a myth that his injury has made him slower/immobile he wasnt the quickest/ sharpest before his injury.

I agree. He's hit and miss... but still head and shoulders our best midfielder. We missed him badly.

We really missed not having a big unit next to him to stop the opposition gliding through our midfield like soft cheese. We also missed not having another midfielder to take the burden of passing from him. Gblammo was the ideal foil for his inconsistencies.

Mina is 25 lol you yanks crack me up
Mina is an established international centre back, he mi
So are you judging players on their price or ability?
Iwobi hasn’t been great, had an injury and played in a few positions, but Ancelotti has started him the 2 games back. Bernard imo isn’t any better and I think Ancelotti prefers iwobi.

I think iwobi will get next season, I don’t see Bernard at 28 at the start Of next season improving on anything he’s done in his first 2yrs at the club, which hasn’t been much.
Of course you judge a signing on ability, but surely value for money must be taken into consideration. Bernard has been inconsistent, but at times has been a pleasure to watch and has linked up really well with Digne.
Iwobi I grant you has been hampered by injuries but hasn’t done anything when I’ve seen him to suggest he’ll be a good signing. I hope I’m proved wrong and that all our signings come good.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.