Homepage Article Lukaku: “I owe Everton so much”

Status
Not open for further replies.
a different level? I think that’s just you. Two different types of players in two different eras of the Prem. one a winger who could slot, one a striker who can slot.

It’s not just him. Kanchelskis was the name I instantly thought of. Rooney at 17 is another. Nigel Martyn was a better player IMO. Totally different but I know who I’d rather have in the team. You could argue that Baines when he was The top 3 leading chance creators in Europe.

Even if we were trying to sign Lukau( which we are not) and he would come to us(which he wouldn't) , where would you play him in the team ?
I could not see him as a pair with DCL and there is no way DCL is being left out of the team.
Lukaku will stay in Italy where I think the slower pace of the game suits him better.
Even if he does leave it will be for less money than Inter paid which then was less money than Utd paid... I cannot remember if we paid less money to sign him from Chelsea than they originally paid...

absolute lol if you think lukaku wouldn’t walk into our team.

He had plenty of flaws in his game but I can't remember a player before him for a long time that I felt pretty much certain would slot if he got clear sight of the goal.

Jelavic for that magic half-season, maybe. Before that hell knows.

absolute lol if you think lukaku wouldn’t walk into our team.
No player walks into any team unless he fits into the managers plan. Why were Utd happy to sell him on at a loss only to bring in a loan player from the Chinese league ?

My problem with Lukaku is that he needs the team built around him so that he can score lots of goals... which is limiting for a team. That largely was his problem at Utd where that didn't happen.

I am not saying he isn't a good player but not a player I would want back at our club for the kind of money he would cost.
To be honest for that kind of money I would want better. I would want a player with more mobility and a player more interested in the team performance than his goal scoring record.
You may disagree but that is my opinion.

No player walks into any team unless he fits into the managers plan. Why were Utd happy to sell him on at a loss only to bring in a loan player from the Chinese league ?

My problem with Lukaku is that he needs the team built around him so that he can score lots of goals... which is limiting for a team. That largely was his problem at Utd where that didn't happen.

I am not saying he isn't a good player but not a player I would want back at our club for the kind of money he would cost.
To be honest for that kind of money I would want better. I would want a player with more mobility and a player more interested in the team performance than his goal scoring record.
You may disagree but that is my opinion.
Incredibly Ill advised short term thinking?

I remember the bad knock he got to his head late on against west ham. I think after that something changed and he just lost that edge a bit.

Selling him so soon, because as history shows us, they were one rashford injury away from being forced to scrape the barrel for anything resembling a premier league forward
The problem was that he was no longer a regular first team starter and the longer they kept him the more his value would fall. They made a loss as it was.
He was way too expensive to be a squad player even for United and wouldn't accept that role anyway.

I honestly could not see any of the current top six clubs that could afford him wanting to sign him

I thought he did really well for us but certainly showed that little something was missing when we needed him most.
I think that if he recognized the flaws in his game and worked to correct those then maybe he could have been a top top player but I think he felt he was better than he was at that time he left us... ironically that summer he was partying in America with another Utd signing which has also gone a bit sour...Pogba.

He’s the best striker and possibly even player to have turned out for us in the past 25 years hands down. This “bring him home” stuff is embarrassing however as he was and remains much better than us. If we wanted to have kept him maybe we should’ve shown more competence up and down the football club instead of just saying “this is when we push on” without anything to back it up. I’m sure seeing players like Niasse and Martina turning up to training showed him the level of ambition Everton actually had and made his decision on a new contract really quite easy.
Wayne Rooney was a far better player than Lukaku in almost every way.

Status
Not open for further replies.