Homepage Article Lukaku: “I owe Everton so much”

Status
Not open for further replies.
He had more good days than bad though, didn't he?
Defo. When he was on it he was superb but he's not a player you can rely on for consistency and he strikes me as a bit of a stroppy sod. I wouldn't be surprised that if when he hangs up his boots his best stats will be from his time here.

He had more good days than bad though, didn't he?

No. He'd have a couple of games where he'd go nuts and bang in about six goals, then do nothing for the next eight. That's why his scoring record looks good. You could never, ever rely on him when the chips were down.

FA Cup Semi Final, missed several great chances that day.

unfortunately this. As good as he was, he arguably cost us our best chance at a trophy since the cup final. We were only in that semi final anyway because of him but he was the reason we didn’t beat United. I’ll also forever be annoyed at him and Deulofeu in 13/14 where we could have legitimately smacked Liverpool for about 6 or 7 if either had their shooting boots on yet somehow drew the game 3-3 when they only had three set piece chances on target and we conceded from all of them.

Last edited:
unfortunately this. As good as he was, he arguably cost us our best chance at a trophy since the cup final. We were only in that semi final anyway because of him but he was the reason we didn’t beat United. I’ll also forever be annoyed at him and Deulofeu in 13/14 where we could have legitimately smacked Liverpool for about 6 or 7 if either had their shooting boots on yet somehow drew the game 3-3 when they only had three set piece chances on target and we conceded from all of them.

We were losing 2-1 in that game.

Lukaku made it 2-2 after 70 minutes, then 3-2 after 80 minutes?

That one? We bottled it in the last minute - but you're forever annoyed at Lukaku who turned the game on it's head?

We've not had many slot two against Liverpool over the years - that there epitomises a lot of our fans with Lukaku.

Can’t remember a player who divides opinion more than this guy, as demonstrated by this thread. Like marmite.

Me? Heart says bring back his goals, head says him or his agent would soon be moaning about something.

We were losing 2-1 in that game.

Lukaku made it 2-2 after 70 minutes, then 3-2 after 80 minutes?

That one? We bottled it in the last minute - but you're forever annoyed at Lukaku who turned the game on it's head?

We've not had many slot two against Liverpool over the years - that there epitomises a lot of our fans with Lukaku.

Funny how people remember stuff.

That semi final he never had a great game but he won the quarter final by himself.

People forget that.

Another thread that sadly confirms to me Evertonians by and large get what they deserve.

Will always score goals, particularly in low pressure games against poorer sides; but he will always cost momentum when you need it most as a team due to his lack of footballing ability in a key role.

We haven't got it right since we got rid of him, but we had absolutely no chance of winning anything by keeping him.

He's the definitive "treading water" striker - you won't be relegated with him, you won't win anything either. Lautaro Martinez at Inter must be pulling his hair out having to play next to him, top quality player him.

Funny how people remember stuff.

That semi final he never had a great game but he won the quarter final by himself.

People forget that.

He'd have those games when it mattered 1 in 10 though. That was the problem. Every other game you're having to deal with trampoline shins.

Against Chelsea he was unplayable but it's a one off game - I lost count of the amount of times on here after a 10/10 performance from him I'd just ask for him to put a few 7/10 performances together as well, just for consistency, but he never did - well, never could really; he just totally lacks ability.

He'd have those games when it mattered 1 in 10 though. That was the problem. Every other game you're having to deal with trampoline shins.

Against Chelsea he was unplayable but it's a one off game - I lost count of the amount of times on here after a 10/10 performance from him I'd just ask for him to put a few 7/10 performances together as well, just for consistency, but he never did - well, never could really; he just totally lacks ability.

Problem is we had no one else to step up to the plate when Rom was off it.

If he had a Richarlison alongside him up top or a genuine goalscoring midfielder/wingers either side I think that would have been the difference.

If we could sell Kean back to Italy and get Rom back it would be brilliant business - add 2 quality wingers and a box to box midfielder and imo we would finish top 4 with the crap in this league at present outside of City and Liverpool.

Problem is we had no one else to step up to the plate when Rom was off it.

If he had a Richarlison alongside him up top or a genuine goalscoring midfielder/wingers either side I think that would have been the difference.

If we could sell Kean back to Italy and get Rom back it would be brilliant business - add 2 quality wingers and a box to box midfielder and imo we would finish top 4 with the crap in this league at present outside of City and Liverpool.

You're sort of right but instead this is the way to think of it - because to get the best of Lukaku you have to gear your entire set up towards him, then when he doesn't have a blinder it's very difficult to effectively play with 10 men, because Lukaku was so technically limited that that's the end result.

Lukaku back now would be horrifying. Would undo everything we're trying to do to advance as a quality team. We haven't got it right yet but the idea is - a technically competent centre forward who can get the team up the field with mobile support around him. You need eleven players every game - even if Firmino has an off day, he's still a presence and you have Salah/Mane. That has to be the end goal - not a one dimensional attack.

Let Lukaku rot in Italy and move forward, and have some ambition for Everton. We can do far better than Lukaku. Hell, DCL last season was an upgrade on him already.

Status
Not open for further replies.