2021/22 Lucas Digne

Status
Not open for further replies.
That is how you build a team in the long run. Look around at the top clubs, how many 28 year olds do they buy? Bar the very occasional exception they don’t do it, they buy younger players with the intention of having them grow into a cohesive team by the time they’re that age. Whether we like it or not, Liverpool are the perfect example of how you properly build a team, apart from Thiago they haven’t spent money on anyone over 27 under Klopp. I don’t know how you can disagree with that model tbh.

Haven't we done that though? We've just bought bad and stupid wages.

The majority of the core squad was bought under 25. With a couple of exceptions that were more panic buys (Tosun, Walcott) in addition to needing bodies in midfield with quality asap (Allan, James, and Doucoure).

Could you see Klopp selling Mane or Salah now given their respective ages? He selling VVD at 30?

Additionally those team buy expensive regardless of age as it's quality that's important.

The majority of the core squad was bought under 25. With a couple of exceptions that were more panic buys (Tosun, Walcott) in addition to needing bodies in midfield with quality asap (Allan, James, and Doucoure).

Could you see Klopp selling Mane or Salah now given their respective ages? He selling VVD at 30?

Additionally those team buy expensive regardless of age as it's quality that's important.

I shouldn’t need to explain to you why buying a bad 23 year old is better than buying a bad 28 year old, or buying a good 23 year old is better than buying a good 28 year old. We don’t buy good 28 year olds, we buy bad ones on massively inflated wages, that is why our accounts are in the state they’re in. We lose money, we need to stop losing money.

To be fair for weeks Rafael said nothing and the fans were saying it was all his fault. He set the record straight that’s it

No issue with him defending himself, he does that and then lets it drop, but every time the media have mentioned Digne Benitez has had a pop at him. From the off he has done it when all he had to say was that Digne is unhappy and wants to leave and leave it at that.

I'm getting my info through reading what Benitez has said because I just can't stand the man and listen to him, by the way, I've never like him full stop, even before he joined us, I've always thought he was a bad tit with a massive chip on his shoulder.

We'll get £15m for Mina, tops. He's a brilliant player but with his injury record and the fact he'll have a year on his deal, it'll be £15m. Shame too because he's a very very well-liked person at the club and is a leader at the back too.
Definitely agree, he's one of very few players in this team that you could realistically picture playing in a team that competes in Europe but yes his injuries have been a hugely frustrating feature of his game from the moment he arrived, I think he did actually arrive injured if memory serves me well.

Still, £15m isn't the end of the world for an injury prone centre back coming to the last 18 months of his contract, who happens to be a very high earner (think he is rumoured to be the top earner now after James left). Because of the way P&S is accounted he'd probably record a profit now given the fact he only has a year and a half left on his contract and it would hopefully give us further wiggle room this window.

We definitely need to be look at selling him now in my opinion.

GET OUT OF EVERTON FOOTBALL CLUB.

Wrong thread Dave.

They don't need to sell their best players because they can sell their crap players for decent money. We have two players in this entire squad that we'd get genuinely decent money for, which is obviously DCL and Richarlison. We need to generate money through sales and it would be insane to look at getting rid of one of them before looking at the rest of the squad. Digne is the most obvious one to bin, we might get £25-£30m for him and we were able to quickly acquire his replacement for half the weekly wage and possibly half the fee as well. That is smart, something this club doesn't do very often.

The next one that we have to look at punting is Mina. Like Digne, he's a good player. Also like Digne, he is extremely well paid and whilst Digne's anticipated sale has allowed us to go out and get a left back and right back, Mina's sale might allow us to go out and get a centre midfielder and a centre back. That is how we will rebuild this team, we do not have the economic conditions in place, both with FFP and our annual losses, to hold onto players until they aren't worth anything.

In the summer, sadly we will probably sell Richarlison unless we have another candidate who could go that would allow us to avoid that scenario, like Pickford. There is no point in complaining about who we are selling, because we have to sell - both for compliance for PL and Uefa regulations and for own balance sheet which currently shows a company absolutely haemorrhaging money. The important thing is that club identifies the right players to move on (they have made the correct start) and that they identify the right players to come in and replace them in a way that doesn't see the quality drop off and reduces the wage bill simultaneously.

It's a tall order but I'm encouraged by the start we've made.

I shouldn’t need to explain to you why buying a bad 23 year old is better than buying a bad 28 year old, or buying a good 23 year old is better than buying a good 28 year old. We don’t buy good 28 year olds, we buy bad ones on massively inflated wages, that is why our accounts are in the state they’re in. We lose money, we need to stop losing money.

All relative to how much you spend and a bad buy is a bad buy regardless.

We bought a 23 year old Alex Iwobi for £30+million. Bought a 27 year old Icelandic for £45million. Both guff. Both would never be able to sell or recoup. That's just bad. Pay £30mill for Kean... eventually get that money back. Pay £50mill for Richy...hope to get more. You're still paying big money.

I'm not disagreeing at all btw. I'm putting into context of selling a very good player and justifying it because of his age and on a "decline" doesn't wash with me.

In our position, it's more about getting rid of the £90-100k a week players who contribute zero to the team before selling a Richy or a Dom.

They don't need to sell their best players because they can sell their crap players for decent money. We have two players in this entire squad that we'd get genuinely decent money for, which is obviously DCL and Richarlison. We need to generate money through sales and it would be insane to look at getting rid of one of them before looking at the rest of the squad. Digne is the most obvious one to bin, we might get £25-£30m for him and we were able to quickly acquire his replacement for half the weekly wage and possibly half the fee as well. That is smart, something this club doesn't do very often.

The next one that we have to look at punting is Mina. Like Digne, he's a good player. Also like Digne, he is extremely well paid and whilst Digne's anticipated sale has allowed us to go out and get a left back and right back, Mina's sale might allow us to go out and get a centre midfielder and a centre back. That is how we will rebuild this team, we do not have the economic conditions in place, both with FFP and our annual losses, to hold onto players until they aren't worth anything.

In the summer, sadly we will probably sell Richarlison unless we have another candidate who could go that would allow us to avoid that scenario, like Pickford. There is no point in complaining about who we are selling, because we have to sell - both for compliance for PL and Uefa regulations and for own balance sheet which currently shows a company absolutely haemorrhaging money. The important thing is that club identifies the right players to move on (they have made the correct start) and that they identify the right players to come in and replace them in a way that doesn't see the quality drop off and reduces the wage bill simultaneously.

It's a tall order but I'm encouraged by the start we've made.

Again, you're putting faith in the fact this was "planned".

If Digne hadnt have opened his mouth, he'd still be our player.

It's a accident some people are seeing as a masterstroke.

Status
Not open for further replies.