2020/21 Lucas Digne

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm glad we have him and he's a good player , but I think he's slightly overrated by lots on here and definitely by the 'pundits' on tv.

He's good defensively, can't argue with that. Puts one hell of a cross in. Another tick.

For me though, to be that top top quality modern full back, he's not great on the overlap and can't go past opposing defenders.

I know that's being hyper critical, but our rookie full back caused a hell of a lot more mayhem offensively tonight than Digne generally does. Yes, weaker opposition and all, but nkoukou obviously possesses more skill/flair and pace than digne going forward. And yes, nkoukou has yet to be tested defensively. We'll soon see how good he is in that regard. If he turns out to be as good as he currently looks, I hope in the not to distant future nkoukou gets the game time he deserves. I'd stick Digne more central and play nkoukou wing back.

I like Digne a lot,.Good, solid player definitely, but still not the all round worldy left back everyone else is seeing. What am I missing?

Last edited:
I'm glad we have him and he's a good player , but I think he's slightly overrated by lots on here and definitely by the 'pundits' on tv.

He's good defensively, can't argue with that. Puts one hell of a cross in. Another tick.

For me though, to be that top top quality modern full back, he's not great on the overlap and can't go past opposing defenders.

I know that's being hyper critical, but our rookie full back caused a hell of a lot more mayhem offensively tonight than Digne generally does. Yes, weaker opposition and all, but nkoukou obviously possesses more skill/flair and pace than digne going forward. And yes, nkoukou has yet to be tested defensively. We'll soon see how good he is in that regard. If he turns out to be as good as he currently looks, I hope I'm the not to distant future nkoukou gets the game time he deserves. I'd stick Digne more central and play nkoukou wing back.

I like Digne a lot,.Good, solid player definitely, but still not the all round worldy left back everyone else is seeing. What am I missing?
How many better in the prem? Maybe 2?

How many better in the prem? Maybe 2?

Maybe. Yeah. Who are the 2 btw?

Don't get me wrong. He's good, solid. Great left foot. But he's not spectacularly good is he?

He can't go past opposition players the way you'd expect modern full backs to. He doesn't really posses the skill or pace to do that.

He puts great crosses in, which is great, but so does Doherty at spurs, and he's not considered worldy is he?

I'm just saying I'm glad we've got him, he's good most weeks. But worldy? I'm just not seeing it.

Don't get me wrong. He's good, solid. Great left foot. But he's not spectacularly good is he?

He can't go past opposition players the way you'd expect modern full backs to. He doesn't really posses the skill or pace to do that.

He puts great crosses in, which is great, but so does Doherty at spurs, and he's not considered worldy is he?

I'm just saying I'm glad we've got him, he's good most weeks. But worldy? I'm just not seeing it.

I love Digne but Barca sold him for a reason. I agree that he's an excellent player that has really stood out in a team lacking creativity. Although it's possible with proper footballers around him he looks even better this year.

Top 10 in chance creation in the Prem last season even though he was clearly not in form for a good chunk of the season.

Watch the Digne -> Richarlison pass in the Bournemouth game again. Everything about that (pass/first touch/shot) has to be inch-perfect, and that is a looooong pass to deliver in a way that lets Richarlison nail the first touch.

You're not looking at a World Best XI player, but you're looking at a world-class player that delivers along all dimensions and that excels at link up play along the wing and at supplying assists via cross.

I’d go Robertson and maybe Chilwell, but I think Lucas edges him so for me he’s second in the league.

Don’t know if Digne, at CB, is going to happen, but we have to find a way to him and Nkounkou in the starting 11. Too much quality to sit on the bench. What a great problem to have.

I know that's being hyper critical, but our rookie full back caused a hell of a lot more mayhem offensively tonight than Digne generally does. Yes, weaker opposition and all, but nkoukou obviously possesses more skill/flair and pace than digne going forward. And yes, nkoukou has yet to be tested defensively. We'll soon see how good he is in that regard. If he turns out to be as good as he currently looks, I hope in the not to distant future nkoukou gets the game time he deserves. I'd stick Digne more central and play nkoukou wing back.

This must be a parody?

He's spent the last two seasons being the best passing player in our team and the best creative player and we are worried that he doesn't try to dribble players? I'm hearing this correctly right?

A modern fullback needs to have an attacking side to his game but they don't have to all do it the same way. As far as I'm concerned Lucas' way is more than effective enough.

He's spent the last two seasons being the best passing player in our team and the best creative player and we are worried that he doesn't try to dribble players? I'm hearing this correctly right?

A modern fullback needs to have an attacking side to his game but they don't have to all do it the same way. As far as I'm concerned Lucas' way is more than effective enough.
Imagine thinking he's not the best Left Back in Europe.

I love Digne but Barca sold him for a reason. I agree that he's an excellent player that has really stood out in a team lacking creativity. Although it's possible with proper footballers around him he looks even better this year.
Because he was behind Jordi Alba who in his prime was one of the best 2 or 3 left backs in the world if not the best?

Status
Not open for further replies.