Homepage Update: Lookman ‘has to be moved up next year,’ says Brands

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Ferguson

Player Valuation: £225k
Tom Ferguson submitted an update to GrandOldTeam's homepage

Lookman ‘has to be moved up next year,’ says Brands
lookman-1024x461.jpg

Marcel Brands has confirmed Ademola Lookman will be a part of Marco Silva’s plans for the upcoming campaign.

The 20-year-old winger’s future has been cast in doubt recently, but the Blues’ new Director of Football has given Evertonians something to get excited about regarding one of England’s brightest young sparks.

Lookman spent the second half of the 2017/18 season on loan at RB Leipzig after he became a bit-part cog in Sam Allardyce’s squad and the German club seemed keen on making the move permanent.

marcelbrands.jpg

But Brands has explained how he is a big fan of the England youth international and revealed how he tried to sign him whilst he was still at PSV Eindhoven.

Brands said: “I can be clear in that because I know the player very well,

“He was on my list at PSV, he is a very talented young player and I think he has to be moved up next year (to the first team squad).”

In just 11 games for Die Bullen Lookman managed five goals and two assists, helping Leipzig to qualify for next term’s UEFA Europa League.

It is reported Silva will deploy a 4-3-3 formation at the Toffees and League One’s most expensive export will have the chance to make the wide forward position his very own.

About bloody time. The lad is quality and frightens the hell out of defenders. Cowardly over cautious managers and negative tactics at Everton meant going on loan to Red Bull last season was perfect for him

RB Leipzig got the best out of Lookman by using him relatively sparingly. Those 11 games divided into 7 starts, 4 off bench and an average of about 52 mins per match. Consequently he was sharp and effective. He doesn’t have to be a first choice PL starter to make a significant contribution for us next season, and I have high hopes that MarcelMarco will handle him well. He still has weaknesses in his game which a good coaching team will work on and improve him.

So much potential there, but still lots to learn...german loan move can only have helped his development, wouldn't even be opposed to another loan deal, the kid is still just 20...fans need to remember his age, let's try to be realistic about our expectations for him next season... We need to be looking at 2 to 3 seasons time to be getting the player we hope we have.... Goodison crowd has a tendency to groan a lot and get on players backs when things are going wrong, which is not easy for young players...

So much potential there, but still lots to learn...german loan move can only have helped his development, wouldn't even be opposed to another loan deal, the kid is still just 20...fans need to remember his age, let's try to be realistic about our expectations for him next season... We need to be looking at 2 to 3 seasons time to be getting the player we hope we have.... Goodison crowd has a tendency to groan a lot and get on players backs when things are going wrong, which is not easy for young players...

I agree we have some real talented youngsters ATM & we must be patient with their progress...
DCL,Kenny &Holgate made good progress last year as did Tom Davies..

Lookman will get more game time next season but we must not expect too much too soon...

To be honest...This is one situation I was sweating over :(However..Brands saying this shows intent...
It's a pity Rooney could be going to DC United,but the sort of way Silva will want to play would be Mega Hectic and played at "breakneck" pace.
That seems to me to be the type of play that would suit Lookman ;)

We mustn’t go overboard as he’s done nothing as yet, but the lad seems to have talent. BFS letting him go the way he did was a disgrace, but may actually have benefitted the lad and EFC.....I hope he has a cracking season ahead of him.....

Let's get behind him then - he will make mistakes but he needs to develop - so lets not get on his back...

Status
Not open for further replies.