Match Thread Liverpool v Everton - Preview, Report and MotM Poll

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Remember when an utterly gash Everton team ended arsenal's 30 game unbeaten streak mate, also remember the other year we ended there record playing on a Tuesday night or some such which was another silly long record of never losing. Given our history of losing badly against them routinely, both where huge shocks no one would have thought possible, same as when Oviedo scored the winner at old Trafford etc.

Few things to think about.
The longer they go unbeaten then statistically the odds of them losing the next one stack up.
The lord get the dodge a loss through a dodgy decision, then Eve tuslky the odds will run out.
The longer we go without beating them, the nearer the end of that steak becomes.

We have a team and a manager who pretty much all don't have the baggage of prior manager and teams bottling these games.
They played a very tough game mid week. We resed to prepare.
They have a fan base so used to dominating this game that any reversal will see them panicking big time.
We are improving week in week out and for the first derby in recent memory have a fully fitted starting eleven.
Henderson is out - which in this game is actually a big plus for us, similarly Coleman for only the second time in ten years will play Anfield derby.

Not only confident in this game, but also aware that when a winning streak goes pop it usually goes big time.

I’m not sure that’s how football works though.

By rights or sheer fluke we should have won there at least once since Campbell’s winner all those years ago.

But we haven’t. We have barely won at any of the big teams in that time either.
Yes we are a lot better now, but we scraped past Cardiff last weekend and I don’t see how people can be confident of going there and winning.

I’ll say it again, if I am wrong then ace, and I’m not saying we won’t win, weird things happen in football all the time, but I am in absolutely no way confident and find it odd that people are.

Despite playing waaaaay better at the bigger teams than many a recent year this time round we still haven’t beaten one.

And I just can’t see it being this weekend at a team we never beat.

I really hope it’s me who is shocked this weekend but there’s a reason they are unbeaten (in the league) and we are not.

I refuse to be confident about this match. There’s literally no reason for me to be.

Oh yes there is......(looks forward to panto season)....are you a sponsor of Gillette..?? :cool::cool:

They're obviously a very good team with some exceptional players, thing is mate I've seen them enough this season to see that by and large they are looking not 'that' good. And generally their results have flattered them in the league.

They'll finish 15-20 points off city again at least this season.

Can they beat us, obviously they can and if they suddenly click then they likely will do, but this season they aren't looking the same explosive team as they did last year.

Similarly we have a front three that if it embraces the game and puts it shooting boots on can do them real damage.

They have had a fantastic start. I haven't crunched the numbers but I imagine they'd probably be top maybe 20 seasons out of the last 25 with the points total. Make no mistake this is akin to going to a side that would normally be top of the league.

However I do think it's a slightly false position for them. Would a side that dominant domestically normally be scratching around having to win final group games in the CL to make it through the group? Would they have gone out at the first hurdle of the League Cup? They've won a lot of games by a narrow margin having had reasonable bits of good fortune. I do think it's a somewhat false position they are in domestically. This is not meant to criticise them unfairly but to try and pitch where this Liverpool team are currently. I'd also say, to balance it, they are probably a bit better than the CL form shows them. They've been a bit more unfortunate in that.

Once you factor that in and say they could be a few points below where they are in the league as a kind of "mean" score to me you can start to frame the game more accurately to where the two teams are at. When you then add in 2 stupid red cards cost us dearly in early fixtures, when players fitness was tested on hot days you see 2 sides that are more evenly matched than the initial points totals show us.I still think LFC are ahead and have had harder games but I would say we are quite close.

They are exceptional at the back at Anfield. The goalkeeper, or more pointedly not having a poor goalkeeper has made a big difference. I maintain that the first goal is crucial in this game. Thats their big strength. The front 3 haven't clicked and looked a long way off again on Wednesday.

Wednesday was a hard night for them too. I think they had to put a lot of running in to avoid being pasted. Carragher pointed out he's fearful of the fact we've had over a weeks training and focus on this game, whereas Liverpool will have 2 sessions. We have a manager now who utilises training. He's a red and can be a a bit of a knob, but he's generally a good pundit and I think it shows a general unease.

I also think in the later post where you say about their expectation it can work in your favour but also work against you. There's a generation of reds who haven't seen Liverpool behind in a derby at Anfield never mind losing one. For some they'll only have seen them hammer us. If we frustrate them and stop them controlling the game that unease will slap through. As will the reality that they need to win to keep up with City. Playing on that is our big advantage.

So lots of positives for us. Lots of if's buts and maybes and we will need some good fortune as well. This Liverpool teams results are better than performances. In those situations one has to catch up with the other. Either performances get better or results get worse. It's a good time to play them.

Despite playing waaaaay better at the bigger teams than many a recent year this time round we still haven’t beaten one.

And I just can’t see it being this weekend at a team we never beat.

I really hope it’s me who is shocked this weekend but there’s a reason they are unbeaten (in the league) and we are not.

I refuse to be confident about this match. There’s literally no reason for me to be.

If we continue to perform well at top teams eventually the scales will topple though mate. I'm not saying it will be Liverpool Sunday but we will get over the line soon.

If we continue to perform well at top teams eventually the scales will topple though mate. I'm not saying it will be Liverpool Sunday but we will get over the line soon.

Hopefully. But they’re only going to continue to get better at the same rate as us probably.

I mean we lost to United and they are absolute dogs this year.

None of the performances at the top teams were excellent. We huffed and puffed against Arsenal who were poor on the day but still won comfortably in the end, lost against a really average United side and rode our luck against Chelsea.

There's still a ridiculously long way to go before we start winning against any of the top six away from home consistently. Honestly, in the next two years I'd be surprised if we win any of these games at all.

Marco Silva's RS presser highlights:

Despite the RS result vs PSG we concentrate on ourselves, how we can stop them and how we can win.
"What I need is to see us be ourselves ... the fans need to see that too."
Regarding Doucoure he says these rumours are normal and work is going on behind the scenes regarding transfers.
Despite our poor form at our first home, Silva says "records are there to be broken".
Our players have played in Derbies before, some in really big ones. We will enjoy the moment and work hard for a result.
We respect the RS as we respected Utd Arsenal and Chelsea. We will not have fear in our dressing room. Respect yes, but we will not change our way. We will be strong. We want to win this match, nothing more.
Lookman doing more than enough to be in the first 11 now.

"I got close to Klopp once. He smelled like Werthers sweets and wet hay"

UP THE TOFFEES!

Hopefully. But they’re only going to continue to get better at the same rate as us probably.

I don't think club always get better all the time. Chelsea to me look a club with the law of ever decreasing returns. United look all of the shop currently. Spurs are solid but not massively spectacular and could face problems if Pochetino goes. I would concede Arsenal and City appear strong. If you look at Klopp at both Mainz and particularly Dortmund you will also see he's reaching his peak currently, and there is quite a substantial drop off in the next season or 2 anticipated. I don't see Liverpool indefinitely improving either.

None of the performances at the top teams were excellent. We huffed and puffed against Arsenal who were poor on the day but still won comfortably in the end, lost against a really average United side and rode our luck against Chelsea.

There's still a ridiculously long way to go before we start winning against any of the top six away from home consistently. Honestly, in the next two years I'd be surprised if we win any of these games at all.

I think thats fair and I would;t say excellent. I;d say improved. If we continue to improve you tip the scales at some point. Games you lose narrowly or draw you win. I don't know how far away we are from this but that does exist.

I could understand people being enthusiastic if we'd put in the type of performance against Arsenal away like we did in Martinez's first season but it hasn't really been like that. Even the Chelsea game where I thought we did well was mainly us doing our best to contain them. I definitely didn't come away thinking we are about to upset the party at the top of the league anyway.

I think thats fair and I would;t say excellent. I;d say improved. If we continue to improve you tip the scales at some point. Games you lose narrowly or draw you win. I don't know how far away we are from this but that does exist.

It's really difficult, mate. We are a good side and we should give every team a game bar an off day but the top 6 just have a bit more than us right now.

We need the likes of Richarlison to develop into match winners in these games. It's a huge ask for players like him to get to that level but he is capable.

Status
Not open for further replies.