Match Thread Liverpool v Everton - Preview, Match Report and MotM Poll

Everton Biggest Waste of Space Poll

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I watched that second half again.

I don't think we bottled it or had some mental barrier preventing us from playing effectively.

We played into a pattern of events that has undone us many times in the last two seasons.

That is because we did not finish off the game in the first half. When this happens the opposition gains confidence and begin to play with more freedom. This is because they realise we can't put the ball in the back of the net! That's my first point, that the finishing abilities of our offensive players currently lacks the ruthlessness required at this level!

Secondly I made a point of watching Snides, Iceman and Delph. I know this is obvious but it makes all the difference. They were simply not dynamic enough. They dis not press with any authority or aggression. It was all a bit to slow and gingerly for them. They did not carry the ball forward or play any decisive balls of conviction, which would've encouraged our team to advance. Passing sideways or behind just gets you nowhere!

Thirdly, and this is worrying. Their kids were better technically on the ball. Their pressing frustrated us. They played it quickly around us at times and the quality of passing opened us up many times. They successfully stopped us playing. It was kind of embarrassing to watch this. I guess the only way to stop this in the future would be to bring in players who are strong and aggressive, yet also possess technical prowess. We've all said it haven't we! We need leaders on the pitch. It's not an exaggeration to suggest that Snides and Iceland seemed to lack any desire to put the boot in. They're just so static and boring.

Lastly key players just did not perform to anywhere near the best of their abilities. Digne was a shadow of himself from last year. Walcott, who played terrific in the first half, literally fell apart in the second. I mean his decision making was all over the place. Pass after pass misplaced.

I honestly believe that team of youngsters could beat other teams in the premiership. If they were their own club I'm sure they would, with experience, do okay in our league. They were impressive. Maybe that's a naive statement, I dunno.

I don't know what happens now. I appreciate how difficult it will be to move Snides and Ice on. I just hope Carlo gets funds. Rumours are we will have to sell to buy. That's a concern for sure.
This is a point I hate to see

No that Liverpool team wouldn't beat others in the league whatsoever. Given their cm is 21 and nowhere near the first team is not a testimony on his quality but how much he lacks.

The majority of their young players on the pitch yesterday will be playing lower league football in the next 3-4 years (age depending).

They beat us because of how badly we played. Because of how badly those two in the middle were , of how isolated our attack was. They beat us because we didn't have a midfield to pass to, to win the ball back with and get the ball to our attackers.

We lost because our defenders panicked every single time they couldn't see a blue shirt in front of them and passed it around inviting pressure. When the CMS did get the ball they gave it back to them repeating the cycle.

That Liverpool team isn't the second coming of fergies super team. Another team yesterday would win comfortably.

We lost because of how badly some of those on the pitch were. Both as footballers and tactically. The kopite kids weren't technically better , they simply had no pressure at all on them. They had all the time in the world to play the ball and acres of space everytime they did. Compared to us who were down to 9 men effectively.

I watched that second half again.

I don't think we bottled it or had some mental barrier preventing us from playing effectively.

We played into a pattern of events that has undone us many times in the last two seasons.

That is because we did not finish off the game in the first half. When this happens the opposition gains confidence and begin to play with more freedom. This is because they realise we can't put the ball in the back of the net! That's my first point, that the finishing abilities of our offensive players currently lacks the ruthlessness required at this level!

Secondly I made a point of watching Snides, Iceman and Delph. I know this is obvious but it makes all the difference. They were simply not dynamic enough. They dis not press with any authority or aggression. It was all a bit to slow and gingerly for them. They did not carry the ball forward or play any decisive balls of conviction, which would've encouraged our team to advance. Passing sideways or behind just gets you nowhere!

Thirdly, and this is worrying. Their kids were better technically on the ball. Their pressing frustrated us. They played it quickly around us at times and the quality of passing opened us up many times. They successfully stopped us playing. It was kind of embarrassing to watch this. I guess the only way to stop this in the future would be to bring in players who are strong and aggressive, yet also possess technical prowess. We've all said it haven't we! We need leaders on the pitch. It's not an exaggeration to suggest that Snides and Iceland seemed to lack any desire to put the boot in. They're just so static and boring.

Lastly key players just did not perform to anywhere near the best of their abilities. Digne was a shadow of himself from last year. Walcott, who played terrific in the first half, literally fell apart in the second. I mean his decision making was all over the place. Pass after pass misplaced.

I honestly believe that team of youngsters could beat other teams in the premiership. If they were their own club I'm sure they would, with experience, do okay in our league. They were impressive. Maybe that's a naive statement, I dunno.

I don't know what happens now. I appreciate how difficult it will be to move Snides and Ice on. I just hope Carlo gets funds. Rumours are we will have to sell to buy. That's a concern for sure.

Sell to buy? Jesus tonight. No it’s not

Still chatting about yesterday?, not good for the health lads...

I've moved on to watching the Golden globes....here's Salma Hayek still looking unreal at 53...

IMG_20200106_232244.jpg

IMG_20200106_232043.jpg

What hurts the most is that years back, when we had fight and we’re up for derbies I would have all my red mates having a go and I’d have a go back, I’d defend Everton no matter what, whether we deserved to win lose or draw. I would always say we should have won because back then the results were often close.

Now though, I just don’t care, whether we’re getting hammered 5-2 by them, I just said I expected it to be more and the red mates of mine wouldn’t even bother laughing, or the daft injury time winners, they don’t rub it in any more, most of them pity us because they know the club is knackered. I genuinely think we’re on a downward spiral here and it doesn’t seem to be stopping. Hopefully Ancelotti and Brands can sort this mess out before it’s too late.
I've got the rs Bro in L saying...I feel sorry for you mate, I was actually embarrassed for you, it was the worst second half performance I've ever seen, I honestly don't know where youse go from here.
And you know what? I can't fault one word of what he said.
The only come back I had was - one game at a time

I also think it speaks volumes that not ONE player has been on social media since the game

Think that’s wise though.

Probably an instruction from the club or Carlo, can you imagine the dogs abuse they’d get if someone like Snides had come out and said “Difficult game, sad to lose but we will never stop trying, onto the next game COYB” ?

I'm still not over it and I'm still upset. I also think it speaks volumes that not ONE player has been on social media since the game
What would going on social media achieve apart from inviting the vitriol of angry fans? It's hardly a platform for reasoned discussion and debate.

Status
Not open for further replies.