2019/20 Leighton Baines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You cant possibly know that.

If Digne gets a bad injury we're left with a one-paced 35/36 year old to defend the left flank and get up and down the line.

Hopefully this is another Jagielka situation and he's offered a contract he CAN refuse.

True mate, if Digne breaks his leg he may play 30 odd games, its very subjective same could be said of any player. Hes a good player and he is still cutting the mustered as we all saw on Sunday the manager has backed him today to have the physicality to back it up if needs be when called on, i cant argue with that. Hes a great player, been one of he best modern full backs of the era in the PL. Find it hard to think of stronger left side then Digne and Baines. Even if you look at the right a Coleman and Kenny doesnt look as strong, neither does Coleman or Sibide.

The time to stick or twist was last summer in my opinion.

I can't say I would be a fan of the extension but if Ancelotti wants it I'm down with him 100%, Lead the way m'lord.

True mate, if Digne breaks his leg he may play 30 odd games, its very subjective same could be said of any player. Hes a good player and he is still cutting the mustered as we all saw on Sunday the manager has backed him today to have the physicality to back it up if needs be when called on, i cant argue with that. Hes a great player, been one of he best modern full backs of the era in the PL. Find it hard to think of stronger left side then Digne and Baines. Even if you look at the right a Coleman and Kenny doesnt look as strong, neither does Coleman or Sibide.

The time to stick or twist was last summer in my opinion.
It's madness to me. He was finished as a top flight player 3 seasons ago. To offer him millions of pounds to stuff into his bank account when we need to be building for the futre stinks.

It's madness to me. He was finished as a top flight player 3 seasons ago. To offer him millions of pounds to stuff into his bank account when we need to be building for the futre stinks.

There is a bit of that alright, i dont think he has the engine to go full pelt in 3/4 competitions but as understudy hes fine, he might be called on for a bit more if a Lucas bad injury happens so i think he will be assessed physically on that by Anchelotti and that seems to be green light, go. Before his injury Lucas looked flogged to me.

I quired the Baines Vs Robinson move at the time, that was the decision for me. We needed to decide to nurture Robinson or stick with Baines, we went with Baines - the value of that decision is questionable, given that Robinson was an admin error away from 12 mill move to AC Milan three months after we sold him, but thats a different story and maybe an opportunity missed.

Baines is the best option we have in our own context. Ill put it like this, strategically we signed him for 6 mill in 2007, he has 0 book price at the mo, helping us to mitigate the huge losses in FFP as he cost neutral apart from wages. Dropping 7-20 mill on a back up or auxiliary left back is not a position the club want to be in this summer with other priorities in the squad, working in tight enough budgets, tight loss ceilings and trying to control and comply with FFP. He as a back up option helps with that given his profile, Coleman similarly. Its a no brainier really and an easy win for the club in cost control.

The same premise adds context to the Kenny Vs Sibide move, Kenny is cost neutral Vs 14 mill on Sibide. We're loosing Martina of the wage bill to. All these small decisions have wider impacts strategically.

If you decide, to sign Sibide and buy a new left back for 7-20 mill you are 20 -30 mill into your budget and loss ceilings before you do anything else.

Last edited:

Digne Baines and then Delph to cover if we have an injury crisis.

I'm perfectly happy with that depth. I dont rate Delph as a player but hes not going to be sold so I have to accept hes here and will be a squad utility option.

Signing Baines for another year is one of the simpler decisions we have to make regarding our squad. And unsurprisingly Carlo Ancelotti wants to keep Bainsey.

Keeping Baines one more year also gives us time to develop someone. Ideally the eventual challenger to Digne longer term, comes from within the club.

There is a bit of that alright, i dont think he has the engine to go full pelt in 3/4 competitions but as understudy hes fine, he might be called on for a bit more if a Lucas bad injury happens so i think he will be assessed physically on that by Anchelotti and that seems to be green light, go. Before his injury Lucas looked flogged to me.

I quired the Baines Vs Robinson move at the time, that was the decision for me. We needed to decide to nurture Robinson or stick with Baines, we went with Baines - the value of that decision is questionable, given that Robinson was an admin error away from 12 mill move to AC Milan three months after we sold him, but thats a different story and maybe an opportunity missed.

Baines is the best option we have in our own context. Ill put it like this, strategically we signed him for 6 mill in 2007, he has 0 book price at the mo, helping us to mitigate the huge losses in FFP as he cost neutral apart from wages. Dropping 7-20 mill on a back up or auxiliary left back is not a position the club want to be in this summer with other priorities in the squad, working in tight enough budgets, tight loss ceilings and trying to control and comply with FFP. He as a back up option helps with that given his profile, Coleman similarly. Its a no brainier really and an easy win for the club in cost control.

The same premise adds context to the Kenny Vs Sibide move, Kenny is cost neutral Vs 14 mill on Sibide. We're loosing Martina of the wage bill to. All these small decisions have wider impacts strategically.

If you decide, to sign Sibide and buy a new left back for 7-20 mill you are 20 -30 mill into your budget and loss ceilings before you do anything else.
We cant be planning a squad with an eye on FFP. We need a DoF who can buy cost effective players and flog players we have for a decent fee and a CEO who can seal top commercial deals. That's the source of solving any FFP problems we have.

Retaining Baines would be false economy AND high risk. He woudn't be able to be counted on for a season's worth of first team football, which he may have to do under certain circumstances. We already have Delph here (who'll be surplus to requirement in CM next season) who can step in if Digne is injured.

We are in a perfect psotion to pay a small amount out, for example, to Hearts for their young LB and he'd be on less wages than Baines.

No fee, just wages and hopefully Lucas stays injury free so he never has to play. Easy decision for me to offer a new 1 year contract and we can use the money in central midfield / right winger

We cant be planning a squad with an eye on FFP. We need a DoF who can buy cost effective players and flog players we have for a decent fee and a CEO who can seal top commercial deals. That's the source of solving any FFP problems we have.

Retaining Baines would be false economy AND high risk. He woudn't be able to be counted on for a season's worth of first team football, which he may have to do under certain circumstances. We already have Delph here (who'll be surplus to requirement in CM next season) who can step in if Digne is injured.

We are in a perfect psotion to pay a small amount out, for example, to Hearts for their young LB and he'd be on less wages than Baines.
First line you say we can't plan a squad with an eye on FFP. Next line you plan a squad with an eye on FFP.

Status
Not open for further replies.