2018/19 Leighton Baines

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fine with him getting another year, Jags less so

He's good enough to cover in a pinch and will be able to help our younger left backs along due to his years of experience playing at the top level

Almost certain he's getting a pay cut as well

I don't see the issue personally

Cannot agree with that Mikey, he is too old and taking up a squad place better to get in a young LB to understudy Digne and give him Baines's wages.

Cannot agree with that Mikey, he is too old and taking up a squad place better to get in a young LB to understudy Digne and give him Baines's wages.

We already have young players under contract who we can start integrating in, there's no need to spend money in that area when there are other areas where there's a more pressing need

One more year of Baines will be fine. He'll take a cut in wages, he can help out the younger lads like Robinson and fill in when needed

It really isn't a problem

Entirely daft not to extend Baines. Baines leaves the club when Baines wants to leave the club. End of.

Whilst I'm fine with us extending him for one more year, I don't agree with the second part, which is why I wouldn't want Jags to stay for another year either as I don't think he's really up to it anymore

When Baines is past the point of contributing then he needs to be wished well and moved on. It can be done in a nice way and he can be offered the role of an ambassador or even a coach if he wants to do his badges, but once he can't physically do it any more then his playing days for us need to come to an end and he needs to either take on a different role with us or move on elsewhere

Right now I think he can still deliver on a limited schedule and it will be a bonus to our young defenders coming through for them to be able to pick his brains. Rather than standing in their way, I think his presence will enhance things for them as he has years of experience to pass down to them and if one of them overtakes him in the coming year then they'll play over him I'm sure. Silva isn't going to play Baines if Robinson is tearing it up in training, at least I don't think he will, and I think Baines is the type of man who would accept that with good grace

I agree with @davek - have we not learnt our lessons of hanging on to high played good servants Hibbert a three year deal played 45 minutes

Baines is hardly Hibbert ffs. He's still a very capable left back and is willing to be backup for a position where good players are in short supply. We really aren't in a position to be getting rid of players like that

Whilst I'm fine with us extending him for one more year, I don't agree with the second part, which is why I wouldn't want Jags to stay for another year either as I don't think he's really up to it anymore

When Baines is past the point of contributing then he needs to be wished well and moved on. It can be done in a nice way and he can be offered the role of an ambassador or even a coach if he wants to do his badges, but once he can't physically do it any more then his playing days for us need to come to an end and he needs to either take on a different role with us or move on elsewhere

Right now I think he can still deliver on a limited schedule and it will be a bonus to our young defenders coming through for them to be able to pick his brains. Rather than standing in their way, I think his presence will enhance things for them as he has years of experience to pass down to them and if one of them overtakes him in the coming year then they'll play over him I'm sure. Silva isn't going to play Baines if Robinson is tearing it up in training, at least I don't think he will, and I think Baines is the type of man who would accept that with good grace
Neither Baines nor Jags will stand in anyone's way. Both know when they're not good enough anymore and they'll depart professionally as good servants do. Having Baines and Jags around as part of the fabric and to teach / mentor the younger players is all that's needed. I don't see Jags playing down to the Championship, Baines either. When they're done, they're done.

Who wouldnt get any game time unless digne injured and then is thrown in at the deep end.
No thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.