Left Back Debacle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ash Woods

Player Valuation: £6m
Question:

If you were Everton manager right now this late in the window with the understanding that transfers really do take a long time for every club not just us.... from negotiations to lawyers agents e.t.c how would you proceed?

Personally I would be attemtping to sign an established 25-28 year old left back with more than 2 years consistent premier league experience regardless of what club they play for. I would want the player first and foremost to be able to defend (often overlooled for attacking lwb) someone who can read the play and is not afraid to put their body on the line, they need good to very good pace and a decent injury record (less than ten games missed a seson barring major injuries like cruciate ligaments) then if i were to have options then the most likely to continue their run and support our LW and Siggy further up

At the same time i would be selecting players particuarly fringe team players to trial in that position during training and with behind closed door games And having the likes of Lookman Vlasic and Bolassie running at them, because lets be real a proffessional footballer should know the roles of his teammates and what the qualities and tendancies of the best in those positions are and try to emulate them, also have Baines detailing tricks of the trade with them, he is injured not brain dead

I personally would like to see Mo Besic given a run there i feel he fits the criteria very well

Without a doubt i do not feel Martina, Galloway or Garbutt can fill the role

Thoughts?

Question:

If you were Everton manager right now this late in the window with the understanding that transfers really do take a long time for every club not just us.... from negotiations to lawyers agents e.t.c how would you proceed?

Personally I would be attemtping to sign an established 25-28 year old left back with more than 2 years consistent premier league experience regardless of what club they play for. I would want the player first and foremost to be able to defend (often overlooled for attacking lwb) someone who can read the play and is not afraid to put their body on the line, they need good to very good pace and a decent injury record (less than ten games missed a seson barring major injuries like cruciate ligaments) then if i were to have options then the most likely to continue their run and support our LW and Siggy further up

At the same time i would be selecting players particuarly fringe team players to trial in that position during training and with behind closed door games And having the likes of Lookman Vlasic and Bolassie running at them, because lets be real a proffessional footballer should know the roles of his teammates and what the qualities and tendancies of the best in those positions are and try to emulate them, also have Baines detailing tricks of the trade with them, he is injured not brain dead

I personally would like to see Mo Besic given a run there i feel he fits the criteria very well

Without a doubt i do not feel Martina, Galloway or Garbutt can fill the role

Thoughts?

But why? He was not rated by Koeman, Unsworth and BS why he is good enough all of a sudden?

But why? He was not rated by Koeman, Unsworth and BS why he is good enough all of a sudden?

Koeman’s rating of ability im sorry has plummetted in my point of view but regardless

He was not rated in the starting berth at Center Midfield and I would imagine hos height would be a major factor keeping him from a CB position

Im not saying he is good enough all of a sudden im saying he has been good enough and could be moulded into a makeshift in that role until Baines (whom i would like to see pushed down to second choice with a new arrival as much as i love him dearly)returns

He can definately defend, he reads play very well can man mark the hell out of a player, he has tenacity and pace is certainly not afraid of a good challenge, he is comfortable with the ball... he has ok distribution nothing to shout home about and im sure he would love a chance to bomb down that wing and prove himself

I am not saying he is the answer i am just saying he would be my candidate to trial in that position, Aaron Lennon also

I would personally change formation to negate the need for full backs.

GK
CB CB CB
DM
CM CM CM
AM AM
ST

Pickford, Holgate, Williams, Keane, Gueye, McCarthy, Schneiderlin, Davies, Sigurdsson, Klaassen, Tosun

We don't have a left winger and mostly play a play maker who cuts inside in to the number 10 position.
If that's our long term plan (lol?) then the most important thing for a left back is to provide width and make runs beyond to the byline.
That's not Baines anymore sadly so yes we need one and the club's got to get the right one and sort the position for the next 5 years or so.

How to sign a left back, the correct way.

1. Scout left backs
  2. Compile shortlist of potential players
  3. Start at player in #1 position
  4. Contact club asking about availability of player
  5. Contact agent asking about availability of player
  6. If successful interest in move proceed with transfer negotiations
  7. Carry out contract negotations and medical
  8. Confirm player signing in terrible Twitter video or GIF
  9. If 4 or 5 fail return to 3 but start at next player on the list e.g. #2
  10. Repeat until player is purchased

How to sign a left back, the Steve Walsh way.

1. Pack sun glasses, speedos, linen shirt. Don't forget the passport & Euros
  2. Idtenify a player who's available on a free e.g. Sead Kolasinac
  3. Go to foregin country and watch a player at most twice
  4. Contact agent asking about availability of player
  5. Get rejected
  6. Stay in foreign country for 2 more weeks - make it looks like serious work is going on
  7. Top up the tan some more
  8. Return and say that the transfer didn't work out, player wanted CL football or another club came in

Gross negligence from the club as a whole. But mainly Steve Walsh as it's his only job.
This.

It is outrageous that the club didn't have a left back lined up and ready to be paraded on January the 1st. Baines has been rubbish for years and the club knew he had a bad injury that would keep him out for several months. Now it's been over a month and BFS is quoted as saying "he's a good way off". We had no backup for him, at all. We tried our third choice right back for a few games who proven he is quite possibly the worst left back ever to play professional football. We had no other options as the manager wanted to stick with the same formation, so he kept Martina in the side, who then voided Sigurdsson's impact on games, who was being played out of position anyway and had to track back to double up on opponents on the right hand side as Martina cannot cope. Baines out with a serious injury and finished anyway, no backup, third choice right back playing appalling at left back, yet no players lined up, not even somebody to cover us until the end of the season. Shocking.

After the summer debacle you'd think the DOF would have been held accountable for the massive failings in the transfer market, apparently not. I wonder if there is anything he could do that would lead to him being dismissed? Seems not. Everton, that.

Status
Not open for further replies.