Leadership (consoling Son) Poll

What should Coleman have done?

• Make every effort to console Son

• Focused on his own teammate and club

• Stay quiet

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I do find it shocking that our players were consoling Son and even entered in the Spurs dressing room to do so.

I would understand if the decision was based on mutual respect for sportsmanship and all that but that little cheat was diving and given away "niggly" fouls. So no I don't support Coleman's decision to console Son. It's not only a sign low mental toughness but poor decision making in the scheme of things.
You describe a man who came back from a double leg break to play Premier League and International level football as having low mental toughness.

Get in the bin and close the lid after you.

Seamus is clearly an empathic guy and was trying to do the right thing. I am sure he also supports Andre but that doesn't make headlines.

The urge for him to go hysterical and scream in his face or head butt their physio in a rage likely only represents fans' own either unmet emotional needs or a projection of one's own anger towards another human or distress about a player in our team suffering a truly awful injury. I felt like crying at the time, I felt a weird feeling like grief. My weird feelings or Digne's screaming changed nothing.

Wanting other people to scream at other people when something bad has happened to another person is a probably a bit weird, although I definitely understand how I, like other people, might think the same myself at times.

Yeah, as I get older I seem to get all teary at all sorts of stuff. I was proper on the edge with Gomes.

Great post

I do find it shocking that our players were consoling Son and even entered in the Spurs dressing room to do so.

I would understand if the decision was based on mutual respect for sportsmanship and all that but that little cheat was diving and given away "niggly" fouls. So no I don't support Coleman's decision to console Son. It's not only a sign low mental toughness but poor decision making in the scheme of things.
Opinions are opinions, and I appreciate yours. Personally, I think it takes a lot of mental toughness (toughness isn't really an emotion, it's probably a combination of values and skills) to control your own emotions and seek only to be compassionate in a cauldron of hatrid.

Opinions are opinions, and I appreciate yours. Personally, I think it takes a lot of mental toughness (toughness isn't really an emotion, it's probably a combination of values and skills) to control your own emotions and seek only to be compassionate in a cauldron of hatrid.

Yes I understand of that. However I just won't agree in this situation due to the context.

Ive not really said anything about it until today.

My first reaction when Coleman was off consoling Son was utter bewilderment. Pick a top player in the league who has been considered a winning captain throughout a period of success...Terry, Keane, Gerrard, Vieira etc.

Could anyone imagine one of those players going into the opposition changing room and consoling a player who had reacted to something then chased a teammate and hacked him down from behind causing serious injury? Weve seen on camera how Keane stood up for teammates...our own Duncan Ferguson, Tim Cahill or others would never have done this imo

How did John Terry stand up for his teammates? Ask Wayne Bridge or maybe look at how his spat with Anton Ferdinand and see how that affected his England captaincy.

Roy Keane made tackles that were nothing more than assaults that would have been prosecuted off the field and walked away from the biggest stage in world football because things weren't to his own personal liking.

Gerrard? Dish out the racism t-shirts

My next reaction was that if I was in Gomes situation and i had been injured in such a way, would i want my captain to be off consoling the opposition player...or to be going ballistic and getting in the fourth officials face + going in front of the cameras after the game and calling out the opposition team and being vocal in his support of me and the total injustice. Even using my injury to call out the VAR penalty and biased decisions against the club.

For me, and this is a personal view which i appreciate others may disagree with, I think this attitude of Colemans is nothing short of a disgrace and a total dereliction of duty to a teammate and to be honest a quite pitiful example of captaincy.

I understand hes also had a bad injury, i consider that to be totally irrelevant in this situation. Hes downplayed the whole incident by his behaviour and the narrative has become all about Son.

There is no leadership in this team and without a leader with a winning mentality the team is like a house of cards.

Brands doesnt only need to sign a new spine of a team for Silva, he needs to sign a backbone!
Ive not really said anything about it until today.

My first reaction when Coleman was off consoling Son was utter bewilderment. Pick a top player in the league who has been considered a winning captain throughout a period of success...Terry, Keane, Gerrard, Vieira etc.

Could anyone imagine one of those players going into the opposition changing room and consoling a player who had reacted to something then chased a teammate and hacked him down from behind causing serious injury? Weve seen on camera how Keane stood up for teammates...our own Duncan Ferguson, Tim Cahill or others would never have done this imo

My next reaction was that if I was in Gomes situation and i had been injured in such a way, would i want my captain to be off consoling the opposition player...or to be going ballistic and getting in the fourth officials face + going in front of the cameras after the game and calling out the opposition team and being vocal in his support of me and the total injustice. Even using my injury to call out the VAR penalty and biased decisions against the club.

For me, and this is a personal view which i appreciate others may disagree with, I think this attitude of Colemans is nothing short of a disgrace and a total dereliction of duty to a teammate and to be honest a quite pitiful example of captaincy.

I understand hes also had a bad injury, i consider that to be totally irrelevant in this situation. Hes downplayed the whole incident by his behaviour and the narrative has become all about Son.

There is no leadership in this team and without a leader with a winning mentality the team is like a house of cards.

Brands doesnt only need to sign a new spine of a team for Silva, he needs to sign a backbone!

Citing the players you have as excellent captains does hold some merit but given some of the things they did throughout their careers, both on and off the field, and then calling Coleman "a disgrace" for his actions after the Gomes injury is frankly bizarre in my view.

Recognising that someone is deeply upset after their actions had much worse consequences than imagined and offering them a little solace is not a disgrace. It's the kind of foul that every player has made, including both Gomes and Coleman, numerous times throughout their career. Every single player who saw that has probably thought "That could easily have been me - I've made worse tackles."

The narrative is not down to Coleman. It's down to Son being a hugely popular player within the media and the game at large and his obvious distress at the result of his actions. Of course it's galling that the outpouring of sympathy does, from an Evertonian perspective, seem to be focused on Son but that's not down to Coleman.

Citing the players you have as excellent captains does hold some merit but given some of the things they did throughout their careers, both on and off the field, and then calling Coleman "a disgrace" for his actions after the Gomes injury is frankly bizarre in my view.

Recognising that someone is deeply upset after their actions had much worse consequences than imagined and offering them a little solace is not a disgrace. It's the kind of foul that every player has made, including both Gomes and Coleman, numerous times throughout their career. Every single player who saw that has probably thought "That could easily have been me - I've made worse tackles."

The narrative is not down to Coleman. It's down to Son being a hugely popular player within the media and the game at large and his obvious distress at the result of his actions. Of course it's galling that the outpouring of sympathy does, from an Evertonian perspective, seem to be focused on Son but that's not down to Coleman.
Great post mate

Has no one pointed out that we shouldn't be arguing over the rights and wrongs of Everton players having a word with Son but rather that the spurs players failed to approach the home dressing room to offer their condolences. That club has been nothing but undignified and classless in this whole affair.
Coleman can have a word with Son that's his prerogative but that conversation should of occurred within the Everton dressing room or club facilities, not the away dressing room and not without addressing the media and defending the clubs interests first.
Spurs and Son had nearly 30mins in the dressing room for himself and or someone else to inform him, to front up and stop playing the victim and approach all or any of Gomes wife/partner, the Everton family, the media.
Yes he obviously/might have no class or dignity but surely his and that clubs pr people should of had the competence to at least pretend.

That would be an interesting turn of events. Be some intriguing cringy crawl-downs from some supporters.
Weirdly, one of my thoughts of why aren't we making more of this as a club? Have we got some potential deal with Spurs over a player?

Status
Not open for further replies.