Last big game we won?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd suggest WBA at home on Saturday will be a big game, as it will basically determine whether or not we effectively seal 7th, or if we'll be looking over our shoulders for the rest of the season.

'Big games' don't necessarily have to be against Sky darlings or away from home.

It is our Cup Final.

And I am starting to worry about it :(

Apart from a glorious spell of supremacy in the mid eighties, we've been bottling big opportunities since 1968, only 49 years. I think we have a good chance of reaching the half century. After that, the worm needs to turn if we have serious ambition.

So Wigan in a QF counts because we lost, but the two QFs last season don't count because we won. Got it.

I think the Wigan one was especially galling because we knew there was basically a spot in the final. We were at home, against a side that had never won at Goodison, Martinez had never beaten Moyes, we were in good form. What followed was a complete malfunction of the highest order.

I really don't mind us being outclassed, it's happened loads of times like the QF in 13/14 v Arsenal, we played alright, just got done by a better team, nothing wrong with that, that stuff passes quickly, it happens.

What I can't abide is when we come out on a pitch seemingly gripped by fear, panicked clearances for no reason, players looking unfit, shell shocked, every set piece against us looks like it will go in, we can't even touch the opposition, we barely muster a shot, some players look as though they're in a personal mental battle just to control a football. We've lost the game before we've even started. There's just absolutely no need for it whatsoever. Other clubs outside the top few do relish big games, we used to in the 90s, unbelievable pressure but we turned up in cup finals, turned up in relegation battles, turned up against that lot. It should be a natural reaction to raise your game for the big occasion. We are the opposite, we are as a club absolutely terrified of achievement. We are so scared of losing a big game that we automatically end up losing the game.

If Koeman can change just one thing about this team I hope it's this. He just needs one, and I bet the next one will come straight after it. Just one spawny win at Anfield, just one crunch match we come out on top of. There's probably only a few opportunities this season but that's why Europa would be so good for us, we need to pack our season with more big games until they become the norm.

Because the pressure is different. We don't have the stigma around it. To be honest the away games shouldn't be big either, they're just league games, they've become big though because we've failed to win 1 (aside from at the Moyes sweet shop) for donkeys years. Therefore those games are now a mental test which can be used to measure this team against. Beating off half arsed City or United teams at Goodison when there is nothing riding on the game is not a test of anything.
Thing is though, do you really think Lukaku, Schneiderlin and Mirallas sit there round Funes Mori's barbecue going "can't see us beating Spurs on sunday mate, do you know how long it is since Everton won one of these games?". I don't, and that's basically what you're suggesting. For it to be a mental test for the players, they need to a)be aware of, and b)care, about these stats. I think you're greatly overestimating how much interest footballers have in this type of issue. Chances are half these players couldn't tell you when we were formed, when we last won a trophy, or what they ate for breakfast, nevermind last time we won an away game at an arbitrarily selected stadium.

Because the pressure is different. We don't have the stigma around it. To be honest the away games shouldn't be big either, they're just league games, they've become big though because we've failed to win 1 (aside from at the Moyes sweet shop) for donkeys years. Therefore those games are now a mental test which can be used to measure this team against. Beating off half arsed City or United teams at Goodison when there is nothing riding on the game is not a test of anything.
I was right there with you until the last part where the top visiting teams that we have beat, have suddenly dropped everything that makes them big teams and became half arsed, and games suddenly have nothing riding on them at home. Would of been a better post without that last sentence tbh mate.

To put in to perspective your point (which I mostly agree with), here are the stats from the last 25 years against teams in the top 4 away from home up until the end of last season. For 04-05 where we finished 4th, I included Liverpool who came 5th...

Played: 100
Won: 5 - Man United (92-93), Blackburn (92-93), Liverpool (95-96), Liverpool (99-00), Man City (10-11)
Drawn: 26
Lost: 69

Away from home:

The last time we beat a team that finished top of the league was Man United in 92-93.
We haven't beaten any team that has finished 2nd in the last 25 years.
The last time we beat a team that finished 3rd was Man City in 10-11
The last time we beat a team that finished 4th was the RS in 99-00

That record is disgusting.

Apart from a glorious spell of supremacy in the mid eighties, we've been bottling big opportunities since 1968, only 49 years. I think we have a good chance of reaching the half century. After that, the worm needs to turn if we have serious ambition.

Mind you, even during our time in the eighties, we still lost against Liverpool in the 83/84 League Cup final, and then in the 85/86 and 88/89 FA Cup finals, and lost against Man Utd in the 84/85 FA Cup final. After beating Watford in the 83/84 FA Cup final, it took a decade or so to win the trophy again. So in a period of about six years during the eighties, we reached five major domestic cup finals... and won one. And that was when we were supposed to be something special.

The game against Wimbledon when their goalkeeper took a bribe to keep us in the league
forget the fa cup in 95 that was just a sleeping giant farting before it went back to sleep

To put in to perspective your point (which I mostly agree with), here are the stats from the last 25 years against teams in the top 4 away from home up until the end of last season. For 04-05 where we finished 4th, I included Liverpool who came 5th...

Won: 5 - Man United (92-93), Blackburn (92-93), Liverpool (95-96), Liverpool (99-00), Man City (10-11)

Away from home:

The last time we beat a team that finished top of the league was Man United in 92-93.

Everton that

Away from home:

if this is right ^^^ its a disturbing fact. unless most other teams in our position is similar and have the same sort of % away wins

lets face it, its always going to be difficult beating any top 4 team on there own patch

Away from home:

If that ain't the most depressing post I have ever read on a message board then I am a Kopite from Norway.

Those statistics are indeed just pure disgusting.

I think most clubs will be able to point to a history of bottling it - Man City & Chelsea used to be great bottlers but money ended that perception.

Status
Not open for further replies.