Labone or Ratcliffe......Who was our best Skipper?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dario Terracotta

Player Valuation: £70m
Discuss Blues..............personally all I would say is we were blessed to have both, interestingly both of them not really vocal but both commanding respect from big characters in the teams of both eras.

Labone, Labone, Labone. Always for me, he was the skipper when I was growing up so will always be the best for me. I had the pleasure of meeting him at Wembley for the Watford FA cup final, true gent and Evertonian. Last of the Corinthians.
Ratcliffe has tarnished his legacy somewhat by overly critical of our club.

...I really think the role of skipper is overplayed, especially in great teams containing players who are dedicated to the cause and know their role in the team.

What I will say is neither Labone or Ratcliffe were vociferous shouters on the pitch. Neither rolled their sleeves up and fought or kicked opponents, neither got down the referees ear to gain an advantage. Some folk on here think these are pre-requisites for a skipper, but they aren’t.

...I really think the role of skipper is overplayed, especially in great teams containing players who are dedicated to the cause and know their role in the team.

What I will say is neither Labone or Ratcliffe were vociferous shouters on the pitch. Neither rolled their sleeves up and fought or kicked opponents, neither got down the referees ear to gain an advantage. Some folk on here think these are pre-requisites for a skipper, but they aren’t.
I think it's about being a presence, someone to look to.

I was lucky enough to meet Labone a few times and he was, as was said before, an absolute gentleman and a real class act. The game at Goodison after he died myself and a lot of other people around me in the main stand that day were in floods. He talked to you kindly and with respect and actually listened to what you had to say rather than just being dismissive of you because of who he was and what he had achieved.

Anyway I know that wasn't the question.

Never saw Labone play. Saw Ratcliffe play many times but was too young to properly understand what I was watching to make a qualified opinion.

So I'm going with option 3. Dave Watson is the best Everton captain I have seen.

Status
Not open for further replies.