2017/18 Kieran Dowell

Status
Not open for further replies.
Davek in sensible post which actually makes a good point shocker!

Ah good, normal service resumed...

Yeah, he was only part of the team which won the U23 PL, then the U20 World Cup. What a waste...

Which he's now doing...

Lol. He's the manager Dave, you should probably learn to care about it.
Phil in selective quotes taken out of context shocker!
You can't have it both ways Phil if he needs first team football on loan to develop to get into our first team then last year spent in U23s was a waste.

Is he even any good?

..have a look at the montage of goals on YouTube, Adam. The boy can be a joy to watch. Let's not forget he was a member of the winning U20 England World Cup team. Saying that, he's only ever played age restricted football and just seems to drift out of games.

I don't think anybody particularly wants him to run around lots but he seems to lose concentration and ball watch. A season in such a competitive league as the Championship will help inform if he's the real deal.

My own opinion,having seen him play a fair few times now, is that his flaws sadly outweigh his not inconsiderable talents. A loan was definitely the best option for him. He'd have been getting slaughtered by us fans after a few first team games for certain.
For me , I much prefer the potential of Liam Walsh, I genuinely think he will make it. Next season I hope.

..have a look at the montage of goals on YouTube, Adam. The boy can be a joy to watch. Let's not forget he was a member of the winning U20 England World Cup team. Saying that, he's only ever played age restricted football and just seems to drift out of games.

I don't think anybody particularly wants him to run around lots but he seems to lose concentration and ball watch. A season in such a competitive league as the Championship will help inform if he's the real deal.
I think the under 20 World Cup is a bit of a red herring.
How many of that team will go onto have successful Premiership careers , probably not as many as people may think

Happy for him getting out on loan, hope he has the best season possible for them and we went up being gutted he went... as it'll mean he has improved and is ready for the next step.

You can't have it both ways Phil if he needs first team football on loan to develop to get into our first team then last year spent in U23s was a waste.
You can have it both ways in this instance though.

There's no contradiction at all in suggesting that it was good experience for a player to be playing in a successful junior side, learning the way that his club would like him to play but that he's now ready to take the next step and play senior football at a good level. Ideally that natural progression will continue and he will be playing for Everton's first team next year and England's the year after.

Haha, like anyone reads enough of my posts to be able to comment on my style/pattern of posting! Don't think any of that was particularly out of context either??

Anyway, I'm not trying to have anything both ways (oo-er!), players have different needs at different times. Last year he was only 17/18, playing in the u23s. Now he's apparently shown that he's ready to move up to proper competitive football, but perhaps not at top 6/7 in the country level. Could the same have been said last summer?

Haha, like anyone reads enough of my posts to be able to comment on my style/pattern of posting! Don't think any of that was particularly out of context either??

Anyway, I'm not trying to have anything both ways (oo-er!), players have different needs at different times. Last year he was only 17/18, playing in the u23s. Now he's apparently shown that he's ready to move up to proper competitive football, but perhaps not at top 6/7 in the country level. Could the same have been said last summer?
I believe so having watched him perform at a very high level for the U23 in season 15/16. He was knocking on the first team door then! No surprise that Unsworth gave him a start against Norwich.

He was the best player for U23 in 2015/16. Last season did nothing much for his development. So if he was on verge of first team then, why wasn't he sent out on loan to make the next step up? Because apparently according to you and other posters that's the way he should be treated.

I believe so having watched him perform at a very high level for the U23 in season 15/16. He was knocking on the first team door then! No surprise that Unsworth gave him a start against Norwich.

He was the best player for U23 in 2015/16. Last season did nothing much for his development. So if he was on verge of first team then, why wasn't he sent out on loan to make the next step up? Because apparently according to you and other posters that's the way he should be treated.
Perhaps he should have then. I haven't seen enough of him in full matches tbh, but the majority opinion seems to be that he's not quite there yet. Either way, he's still young, there's no rush, and a years regular competitive games is better for him now than u23s/the odd game for us.

You can have it both ways in this instance though.

There's no contradiction at all in suggesting that it was good experience for a player to be playing in a successful junior side, learning the way that his club would like him to play but that he's now ready to take the next step and play senior football at a good level. Ideally that natural progression will continue and he will be playing for Everton's first team next year and England's the year after.
Sorry but that's rubbish in my opinion. He was playing very well in season 15/16 and banging on the door of the first team! There were lots of people who follow youth teams on here that we're calling for him to be given a game. I went to see him several times that season and he was playing very well particularly in the second half of the season. At times, he was on another level to the rest of U23's. One of the games against Leicester City he played exceptionally well and scored one of the best hat tricks I've seen at any level. So he was on the verge of the first team then and that's why Unsworth played him against Norwich.

Sorry but that's rubbish in my opinion. He was playing very well in season 15/16 and banging on the door of the first team! There were lots of people who follow youth teams on here that we're calling for him to be given a game. I went to see him several times that season and he was playing very well particularly in the second half of the season. At times, he was on another level to the rest of U23's. One of the games against Leicester City he played exceptionally well and scored one of the best hat tricks I've seen at any level. So he was on the verge of the first team then and that's why Unsworth played him against Norwich.
I appreciate your different opinion, but should just point out that it doesn't make the point I made rubbish.

Status
Not open for further replies.