Kevin Ratcliffe

Status
Not open for further replies.

summerisle

The rain, it raineth every day
Great interview this. Discusses why he wasn't exactly enamoured on signing for either Spurs or Man City ; the role of Howard Kendal to the club ; his reflections on being a manager, and many other topics. The end of the interview nails it.

Great interview this. Discusses why he wasn't exactly enamoured on signing for either Spurs or Man City ; the role of Howard Kendal to the club ; his reflections on being a manager, and many other topics. The end of the interview nails it.
It does!

It does!

Yes
Club, Players AND Fans would be made up to finish 4th - he was gutted if he finished 2nd...all need to up their expectations.
If we up our expectations we’ll be very disappointed.
Our expectations are set by what we see on the pitch. If you think I’m putting myself in a mindset of believing we’re going to win the league after last season, you must be on glue.
Don’t get me wrong, I’m mindlessly optimistic where Everton are concerned, but even for mindless optimism, believing we’re winning the title would be a step too far.

If we up our expectations we’ll be very disappointed.
Our expectations are set by what we see on the pitch. If you think I’m putting myself in a mindset of believing we’re going to win the league after last season, you must be on glue.
Don’t get me wrong, I’m mindlessly optimistic where Everton are concerned, but even for mindless optimism, believing we’re winning the title would be a step too far.
This is Everton mate, disappointing is our default setting.

What part of - especially players and management - if you mentally settle for the 7th-ish Trophy, you'll never finish 6th or 5th etc. Aren't you seeing

Last edited:
This is Everton mate, disappointing is our default setting.

What part of - especially players and management - if you mentally settle for the 7th-ish Trophy, you'll never finish 6th or 5th etc. Aren't you seeing
It’s protecting my sanity. I watched the great championship winning teams and we are miles off. In fact, last season was so far off it could have turned into a relegation battle.
There is nothing you or I can do to change anything. That lies fairly and squarely with the owner and manager.
I will be delighted to see a competitive team on the park, and then I can adjust my ambitions for the club.
That’s the reality for us all mate.

Yes
Club, Players AND Fans would be made up to finish 4th - he was gutted if he finished 2nd...all need to up their expectations.
Expectations and hope of finishing forth haven’t had much success. I doubt blindly expecting to win the league with a wage bill less than teams above us is going to increase performance

He is correct. We should raise our expectations....but that is different from realism. We all realistically know we are miles off the pace but we still should expect a club like Everton to be finishing higher. David Moyes dumbed our expectations by convincing all that 7th for a club like Everton is punching above our weight and people bought into it. Expectation, realism are different things. I expect us to finish in better positions than we do. We should demand and accept nothing less than what our expectations are.

Status
Not open for further replies.