Kevin "Killa" Zidane retires.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neiler

Player Valuation: £100m
Was on TV in Ireland last night after the announcement, said some wonderful things about Everton - that it was his best and proudest time in football and how special a club we were. Also talked about what it was like playing with Moyes at Preston when he was a kid.

Ireland hero Kevin Kilbane has announced his retirement from football after over 700 games for clubs including Sunderland, Wigan, Everton and most recently Coventry City.

Kilbane won 110 caps for Ireland and made 66 consecutive appearances for the Boys in Green at one stage during a 14 year long international career.

Writing in the Daily Mail Kilbane said, “This is the day I have been dreading. I’m retiring and hanging up the boots after nearly 20 years. I am no longer a professional footballer.

“It seems strange to say it after all these years but the body and the mind have had enough. I know it’s time.

“The last year, battling a back injury and getting fit for a new season with Coventry City, has been a real slog. It’s just not much fun anymore.â€￾

While he is well thought of at the clubs he played for, it is his Ireland career that he will be most remembered for.

A fan favourite, nicknamed Zinedine Kilbane, he is the third most capped player for the country behind only Shay Given and Robbie Keane.

A perennial pick for much of his playing days, injuries began to take their toll and he failed to make the squad for the Euro 2012 qualifier against Slovakia and he has not appeared since.

Kilbane signed for League One side Coventry in the summer but has only managed 12 appearances this season, the last of
which in October will not prove to be his final game as a professional footballer.

The left back will now begin a media career with the Daily Mail and Radio Five Live.

Great professional who has deservedly had a long career. They are just saying on Goals On Sunday how he was never any troble with managers and was appreciated as a player more by managers and players than supporters. Thanks for everything Killer, and good luck for the future.

Great pro. Made the most of his abilities and always gave his all. Wish the lad well.

Thought he was older than 35 ( as per bbc website) tbh.

Real nice man, great professional, good lad. Worked his arse off and did a really good job for the cause.

Used to love that 'Zinedine Kilbane' video on youtube that included, as one of his highlights, being kicked by Paul Scholes in our 1-0 win when big Dunc scored.

Status
Not open for further replies.