2020/21 Jordan Pickford

Status
Not open for further replies.
People aren’t used to goalkeepers making saves so it’s like a big event now. It’s like when everyone tried to make out Howard’s save against Southampton was a world class save when he really should’ve just caught it.
Its incredible, if he ever has a game that doesn't include a goal conceding gaff he has won us it single handed apparently

I dont get this whole thing of needing a good back up to put pressure on pickford, its complete rubbish.
No top keeper has ever been under pressure for their position and never needed to be.
How many clubs have 2 keepers competing for the spot? Its never a fair fight anyway, one is always worth more or younger or on more wages.
As with this situation, pickford is on huge wages, is more saleable so he will keep his place no matter how many times he messed up.
If the pressure of going into your dressing room with your team mates and looking them in the eye after messing up isn't enough motivation then you shouldn't be in a team game, go play marbles...
Pickford has lost it, he is finished...
Olsen for the Derby please, he seriously couldn't be any worse

I tend to agree with that. I mean he must be either a complete idiot arrogant or complacent to think his place isnt under threat if he continues to fk up.
Saying that i think the signing of olsen in this case coming straight after that horror of an error v brighton is a massive statement that competition is now very real. He hasnt ever really had a keeper with the experience olsen has waiting in the wings. He now has so 1 more horror show and he's likely to be sitting on the bench the following game.

What goals did he score? what assists did he make? how many tackles did he put in in midfield?
Eh? He's a goalkeeper. His contribution to the team effort generally involves stopping shots he should stop and, on a good day, stopping something he probably shouldn't.

His performance at Spurs was a contributory factor in us winning the game. As was DCL's, as was James's, etc. In my view, he made one save that I don't believe any goalkeeper would "expect" to make. That saved us a goal we could have probably expected to concede. I'm not saying the lad is Neville Southall, but he is not Loris Karius either...yet.

Eh? He's a goalkeeper. His contribution to the team effort generally involves stopping shots he should stop and, on a good day, stopping something he probably shouldn't.

His performance at Spurs was a contributory factor in us winning the game. As was DCL's, as was James's, etc. In my view, he made one save that I don't believe any goalkeeper would "expect" to make. That saved us a goal we could have probably expected to concede. I'm not saying the lad is Neville Southall, but he is not Loris Karius either...yet.

A mistake here or there like the one against Brighton I have some sympathy for due to the shocking weather conditions. However, the fact that these mistakes are happening all around the year and in different circumstances is really worrying. I don't actually think he's a terrible keeper but over the last year or two (probably since the moment against the RS for their winner) he's been so erratic and all over the place. Confidence is a big thing, look at De Gea at the moment, he's struggled for the best part of a year now too.

Competition helps though and we really need to push someone in to get him out of the firing line. He will cost us points over the course of the season if he plays every game carrying the same form he has done for the past 2 years.

Godfrey? Never heard of him until Everton bought him.

There's no dressing this up: replacing Pickford was as big a task as there was this summer. But he's here and he'll continue to have no competition for his place. That is negligence.

I'm at a loss to explain why this clown is still here, or at the very least not facing a massive challenge for his position by a very good GK.

WTF is going on when this season-in season-out failure has his place unquestionably handed to him?

Its not negligence if we have something lined up already.

A mistake here or there like the one against Brighton I have some sympathy for due to the shocking weather conditions. However, the fact that these mistakes are happening all around the year and in different circumstances is really worrying. I don't actually think he's a terrible keeper but over the last year or two (probably since the moment against the RS for their winner) he's been so erratic and all over the place. Confidence is a big thing, look at De Gea at the moment, he's struggled for the best part of a year now too.

Competition helps though and we really need to push someone in to get him out of the firing line. He will cost us points over the course of the season if he plays every game carrying the same form he has done for the past 2 years.
I'm not defending him. I don't have full confidence in him at the moment because he is, as you rightly say, erratic. In fact, I have big concerns that he will go into a swift spiral of decline. I think he's playing for big personal stakes in the derby. I just think he's now so unpopular (because of the derby blunder, his poor off-field behaviour, his general demeanour, and his erratic form) that even his good moments are dismissed. He had some very good moments against Spurs. He badly needs some in the derby or it could well be curtains. Olsen is a viable option once he settles in and Carlo decides enough is enough, but I don't see him parachuting into the derby team. Pickford is a worry, no doubt about it.

very fair this.

he's dissolved all the good will he generated in the first season.

He's very much an unknown at this point. Which is bizarre given he's England #1.

I don't think it's too far to say he is playing for his career as a top 6/7/8 keeper (whatever we are now) for the rest of the season.

If he costs us in any tangible way, he's a #2 keeper.
England No1 means nothing with all the clowns England had in goal the last 20 years.

Not sure if it’s ability, mentality, or intelligence issue with him anymore.

It’s a deadly cocktail of all 3.

The failure to catch a simple floating ball, that weird attempt at saving the overhead at Fleetwood, letting shots squirm under his body regularly, not being able to kick a ball anywhere near where he’s trying to kick it - ability. He is technically poor in almost every area.

The first Fleetwood goal/complete unawareness of what’s going on around him, the rushing off his line needlessly, not knowing when to punch and when to try and catch - intelligence. This is something that can’t be coached.

The grinning and tongue pulling after mistakes, the overzealous celebrations of saves, trying to mock and “banter” opposition fans - mentality. He displays a very fragile and insecure mental state.

He really is an all-round disaster. There isn’t a specific weak point to his game that you can point out.

As @Walken has just said, he is finished here. All hopes of him ever becoming a top keeper are done as well.

It’s a deadly cocktail of all 3.

The failure to catch a simple floating ball, that weird attempt at saving the overhead at Fleetwood, letting shots squirm under his body regularly, not being able to kick a ball anywhere near where he’s trying to kick it - ability. He is technically poor in almost every area.

The first Fleetwood goal/complete unawareness of what’s going on around him, the rushing off his line needlessly, not knowing when to punch and when to try and catch - intelligence. This is something that can’t be coached.

The grinning and tongue pulling after mistakes, the overzealous celebrations of saves, trying to mock and “banter” opposition fans - mentality. He displays a very fragile and insecure mental state.

He really is an all-round disaster. There isn’t a specific weak point to his game that you can point out.

As @Walken has just said, he is finished here. All hopes of him ever becoming a top keeper are done as well.
He also parrys balls directly to the opposition inside our own box regularly. God knows why he doesnt learn(intelligence?)

The whole team played well at spurs, he did not win us win points he contributed. Its a nonsense rhetoric that overplays what he has done well and downplays his mistakes.

I would absolutely put him in the Karius bracket as well

Status
Not open for further replies.