2020/21 Jordan Pickford

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ill be totally honest now and say that I thought he was already injured before the collision with Jordan. It’s almost like the injury happened and he froze mid motion and poor Jordan had to try and make sure he didn’t hurt himself in the ensuing collision.

I think it’s a theory supported by Klopp’s comments afterwards when he said he has played with pain for weeks.

The kid's not smart enough to think to take VVD out.

It was a ridiculous lunge the like of which we have seen many times from him.

He will put in doubt any success this season.

I really hope that Carlo decides that enough is enough.
He did make a couple brilliant saves. But then also really should’ve and would’ve cost us in the end if not for VAR somehow deciding we deserved a break. But yes, he had no plans to take out VVD. He’s just that crazy and unpredictable.

Ill be totally honest now and say that I thought he was already injured before the collision with Jordan. It’s almost like the injury happened and he froze mid motion and poor Jordan had to try and make sure he didn’t hurt himself in the ensuing collision.

I think it’s a theory supported by Klopp’s comments afterwards when he said he has played with pain for weeks.
Yes, I think Jordan was trying to catch him with his legs as you could see his knee had already given way

I'm going to try to put this in perspective:

- Pickford was out of control in the collision. It was definitely reckless. It's a clear yellow, and it's the sort of yellow where if the ref pulls a straight red he's well within his rights to rule that way on the grounds of excessive force. Pickford dodged a card of some stripe, by any reasoned assessment.

- This is decidedly different from the Son incident because of intent. Pickford was playing the ball. Son was retaliating. Son probably didn't intend serious injury, but it was what happened and he was deservedly punished for it.

- The Reds' demands for an inquest are ridiculous. The FA almost never acts retroactively, and it generally has to be a clear, straight red that is unsportsmanlike for them to do something. It should be no surprise to anyone that they let this pass.

- If the Reds' title chances are dead and buried, that's on Klopp for building that heavily around a single player. Durable as he has been, he's not the main character in Unbreakable.

- In that vein, I would not chance James at Anfield, healthy or not. It's not worth risking his safety for a relatively long shot at a point or three, and that's obviously who they would target if given the chance.

I think they must fear us wanting Pickford retrospectively banned. Many years ago when playing for Spurs Redknapp did a hatchet job on Gravesen and he escaped a red card shock horror. When asked if he should be banned retrospectively Moyes replied that wouldn't help Everton only the teams that Spurs will subsequently play. If Pickford gets a ban I think they are hoping it will stop us as the tide was already turning and with VvD injured we may now be a serious threat of finishing above them.

Good point this about being already injured. My original thought (after rewatching the tackle), that van dijk was trying to play the hard man and stand firm against Pickford. Not saying that he could have rode the tackle but if there was an injury already there it might have affected his reaction.

Status
Not open for further replies.