2020/21 Jordan Pickford

Status
Not open for further replies.
Might be an idea to drop Pickford , after all this media coverage, his wife getting stick ect , on a purely human level for him it must be a bit head wrecking on top of his already up and down form.

Not ifs, buts and maybes, though, is it? We're recalling lots of horrendous clangers and seeing the last couple - albeit they mercifully went unpunished - as the last straw; and we're probably doing so more so than perhaps we otherwise would because we have now signed what we hope is a viable alternative.

Doing a couple of good things in a game doesn't make a good game, IMO, and it's sound that a lot of people voted for him as MOTM but that doesn't alter the fact he is at the moment, at best, a bang average keeper.

See, this is the issue really isn't it?

You say fans are blinkered for talking up Pickford.

I say fans can be blinkered for refusing to see any positives in his game.

He'll have a decent/good game and some on here will dive in talking about Newcastle when he lost his head.

Wasn’t the great schmichael always commended for charging out and making himself a big barrier?
As for the comments by Darren Moore on sky about being off two feet is an automatic red card,how the hell can keepers dive then? or people jump for the ball?
These pundits talk bully

...but we still have the Parliamentary petition, the High Court, the Supreme Court and the Court of Human Rights to come.
Don't worry I know people who can get this thrown out.. also we are out of Europe so no court of human rights allowed now!

I think the criticism is disproportionate.

There's definitely a Jordan Pickford narrative in the media. Typical English press really, build them up to knock them down.

He's not helping himself this season, but he's not been as bad as the criticism has been.

That said, this season is the first time I've started to think we need another 'keeper.
I'm exactly the same. Overblown in the criticism and quick to forget some of the moments where he has been effective.

But, I think if we/he needs improvement, it's definitely on the discipline part of his game and I think the mental preparation and focus needed in other sports might help him learn how to improve that side of his game.

no so your seriously saying JP should be punished?

Not in the least - Bad challenges go unpunished all the time; it was a reckless mistake on his part. What I AM saying is that he isn't good enough for us and should be dropped to see if Olsen can be any sort of upgrade (at the moment that doesn't seem like the hardest task).

Of course, for the first time in a number of years we have a manager who can be trusted to make the tough calls so I will watch what he does with interest.

My immediate concern, following the FA's announcement, is with what that bedwetter, who wanted to bring this up in front of parliament, tweets next.

How did the red balls up? VVD was offside. The challenge wasn't violent conduct. No penalty. No sending off.
The fact he was offside means it wasn’t a penalty not that Pickford shouldn’t have been sent off (especially as since it wasn’t a penalty the double jeopardy rule wouldn’t have applied). It was a scissor tackle that was out of control and is a red card all day in the same way Richarlisons was...

See, this is the issue really isn't it?

You say fans are blinkered for talking up Pickford.

I say fans can be blinkered for refusing to see any positives in his game.

He'll have a decent/good game and some on here will dive in talking about Newcastle when he lost his head.

Absolutely a fair point; I, personally, can't remember - and I am more than happy to be proven wrong - the last time he had an objectively, really good game. Good saves, no brainfarts, commanding his area/defenders, etc.

For the sake of balance, I feel the same about Gomes. Handsome fella, but I struggle to remember when he last bossed a game from midfield and really stood out. If we had an alternative I'd gladly see him dropped. Now we DO have an alternative at GK I would like to see Pickford dropped.

Credit where credit is due he made a couple of good saves...

But had VAR not bailed him out twice we would have been a man and 2-0 down in the first 10 minutes.
Definitely should have done better on the disallowed goal too.

Anyone see James getting frustrated with him during the match?

I think I'd like to see the new keeper given a run of matches now. I'm sure Ancelotti is growing tired of not being able to rely on his number 1.

Not in the least - Bad challenges go unpunished all the time; it was a reckless mistake on his part. What I AM saying is that he isn't good enough for us and should be dropped to see if Olsen can be any sort of upgrade (at the moment that doesn't seem like the hardest task).

Of course, for the first time in a number of years we have a manager who can be trusted to make the tough calls so I will watch what he does with interest.

My immediate concern, following the FA's announcement, is with what that bedwetter, who wanted to bring this up in front of parliament, tweets next.

Brought up in parliament? - if that’s the case then everyone can throw in they’re worth of injustice to

Excellent post toffee-L it's almost as if in all their righteous fury they can't see the wood for the trees so to speak, examine the rules.

Even if it were allowable to send him off in such an instance then it would have to be something that neither officials actually had a clear view of and looked at.....

Then if you looked at precedent and the alternative of a retrospective it was clear they could hardly have decided anything else anyway.

Anything else is making Coote out to be a complete imbecile....(possibly not far from the truth)

How can you say he saw it and considered whether if it was a pen incase it was onside but didn't realise he could still refer it to the referee anyway to look at as just a possible red card? He either looked at it or he didn't

All those articles posted yesterday by the Mirror's John Cross (even if a mad gunners fan) were nothing more than the usual trashy red sh*te rubbish you expect from that paper. Keith Hackett even comparing it to Keane's one on Alfie Haaland in that paper. It's like clickbait in paper form, a joke.

This is an excellent post mate & highlights the lack of knowledge in the media & the lack of communication from the PL about what and how they are reviewed.

However, your point on not understanding the rules are incorrect. VAR could have also applied rule of reckless endangerment under rule 12 (serious foul play in other words) and reviewed the tackle, irrespective of the offside. I'm not suggesting this would have resulted in a red, but it was definately within VAR's jurisdiction to review.

Status
Not open for further replies.