2019/20 Jordan Pickford

Status
Not open for further replies.
Correct. It's his position though. Make a mistake as a goal keeper and you're getting it in the neck.

If Everton are to improve, then the defence should improve so that the keeper isn't called on as often as Pickford is now. Will Pickford be able to have that type of concentration so he is alert even when he isn't involved in the game for long periods. This is my real doubt for him long term.

As often as he is now? Palace, Watford and Newcastle have had 6 shots on target combined, we conceded 5 goals. I think if anything, the defence looks worse because of him.

I also wonder about their confidence in him. His erratic nature means they never know if he's gonna come hurtling out, stay rooted to his line, jump around like a mad man, roll it out to them or smash it long and out for a throw in under no pressure. Say what you want about Howard or Joel, but their communication with the defenders and for the most part, their consistent behaviour, at least let them roughly know what to expect.

Ive lost count of the games that we have dropped points in where the opposition has scored with all or practically all of their shots on target and or he has been responsible for the goals conceded. It's not a witch hunt, it's just blatantly obvious what the problem is.

As is often stated in here, having a go at players has a negative impact on them.
Players like Jordan who obviously thrive off confidence, the last thing they need is to here the crap from the fans behind the goal.
He doesn’t help Himself though
I agree. But Jordan makes it very very hard sometimes. When he talks or acts strange it doesn’t help either

Good job this forum has zero relevance to his position as a goalie. We are a mixture of opinions ranging from hanging him to letting him develop and see where it takes him and us. There are not any outstanding keepers in the PL which is why he still has the England job. The only real challengers are young fellas like him all with a lot to learn. There is a lot to be said to have a competent goalkeeper of mature age. It is unique position to fill.

No definitely not a witch hunt.

Remark on all the bad things, don't even acknowledge all the matches he has won for us with good saves (or better). But it is definitely not a witch hunt. Oh no, purely an academic discussion based on the facts ..... well the ones that fit the scenario chosen, anyway.

It was nearly a star jump, FFS, he saved it, that is all that matters.

No definitely not a witch hunt.

Remark on all the bad things, don't even acknowledge all the matches he has won for us with good saves (or better). But it is definitely not a witch hunt. Oh no, purely an academic discussion based on the facts ..... well the ones that fit the scenario chosen, anyway.

It was nearly a star jump, FFS, he saved it, that is all that matters.

It was a great save, reactionary and reflexes on point, pity about the pea roller before it eh.

I will give him this been one of his harshest critics. His catching of crosses has improved under Carlo. But it doesn’t look natural. It looks hard for him. If he can master the art of commanding the 6 yard box he has a chance.

When he first join, i can’t recall too many mistakes. Immature decision making yes, but full blown blunder is few and far between, and it gradually become one blunder in 10 games, and then one in 5, and now it’s probably one in 3.

His character is probably making it worst for anyone trying to help. So immature and full of himself. Our defenders are probably not even bother to react to his shout during setpieces defending anymore.

When he first join, i can’t recall too many mistakes. Immature decision making yes, but full blown blunder is few and far between, and it gradually become one blunder in 10 games, and then one in 5, and now it’s probably one in 3.

His character is probably making it worst for anyone trying to help. So immature and full of himself. Our defenders are probably not even bother to react to his shout during setpieces defending anymore.

I do not agree at all.
Any goal he lets in, our fans are now so obsessed, "he should have got that" is the standard response. There have been worldies (RS kids) and bottom corner efforts and they still say it was his fault.

If actual truth be told, the howler on Saturday was the first actual howlerleading to a goal I can recall in a long time.

It really feels like,. surprise surprise., evertonians are so desperate to hate their own player that they blame him for everything even when it clearly was not his fault.

He is doomed here I fear, too many looking on waiting for ANY glimmer of a chance to have a go.
I am not saying he is faultless, or not to blame but, people need to be fair, his antics are annoying and not particularly condusive to good goalkeeping but we really haveblown it out of proportion.

It was a great save, reactionary and reflexes on point, pity about the pea roller before it eh.

Without that, the haters would have nothing to hate.

yes it was pathetic for a man of his undoubted quality. In fairness it was Benteke, so he probably thought the corner flag was in more danger :rolleyes:

It matters not a jot as he is the best we have and one of the best in the Premiership. The standard in the Premiership is poor at the moment. If we were able to replace the worst player in the first team squad then the second worst etc. Pickford would be safe for quite a while. We need to spend on other positions.

he also tried to catch the ball from Dion Dublins header that nearly relegated it, rather than just saving us, yet when Pickford tried to catch the ball at Anfield last season, some still cant forgive him

To be fair you are referencing one mistake from over 20 years ago so its obviously not easy to forgive such errors.

Pickfords howlers don't concern me, all goalies have them. The run of the mill stuff is more worrying for me.

As often as he is now? Palace, Watford and Newcastle have had 6 shots on target combined, we conceded 5 goals. I think if anything, the defence looks worse because of him.

I also wonder about their confidence in him. His erratic nature means they never know if he's gonna come hurtling out, stay rooted to his line, jump around like a mad man, roll it out to them or smash it long and out for a throw in under no pressure. Say what you want about Howard or Joel, but their communication with the defenders and for the most part, their consistent behaviour, at least let them roughly know what to expect.

Ive lost count of the games that we have dropped points in where the opposition has scored with all or practically all of their shots on target and or he has been responsible for the goals conceded. It's not a witch hunt, it's just blatantly obvious what the problem is.
Well if we are conceding almost every time there's a shot on target, then that's a damning statistic. I remember a few of those being saveable so yes, improvement required, either by Pickford or via a new player.

Status
Not open for further replies.