2019/20 Jordan Pickford

Status
Not open for further replies.
When i say decent its just a saying. It of course means better. Pickord is ok ish. Shot stopper but other parts of his game let him down and ive never warmed to him.
He will do for now but long term i dont think he's good enough if this club really want to compete. I dont think any top team/club challenging regular for honours would have him as their first choice.
Seen some of the errors these so called top teams have? Kepa, Leno and de Gea all 3 make more mistakes than Pickers

Seen some of the errors these so called top teams have? Kepa, Leno and de Gea all 3 make more mistakes than Pickers

I dont rate kepa or leno. And many dont.
I'm not going to change my opinion just to suit you. He's never filled me with confidence on parts of his game and i always have that horrible feeling an error is coming.
I think long term a look around for someone else is the way to go.

We’ve got more pressing issues than Pickford. The defence in front of him and the lack of midfield and a goal scorer for example.
At times he comes across as a cocky arrogant prick but he’s our cocky arrogant prick.

Basically what i said. Its not a priority but could be if we have any ideas of going places. Does anyone think he would get in a side challenging for honours.
Man city made the call with joe hart. Same sort of thing.

I think it's foolish to think of replacing him now. While we have been in this transition phase, it's been fine to allow him to be arrogant, to grow and to develop his game, however if we grow into a top 6 team, and we can upgrade him, we can think of it then, or else he would have grown himself with us.

I lost all confidence in him during that atrocious 5-2 derby. He was hopeless.

I've not seen any real improvement in him since he's been here. He was the best of a bad bunch of signings in Koeman's last year and poor at moments last year.

If he wasn't England's number one I think people would talk about replacing him a lot more.

You don't think the goalkeeper can affect how many goals we concede from set pieces? Some shout that.

The problems with set pieces resulted from Silva's insistence on zonal marking and the resulting unmarked men in the six-yard box. Whether Silva's system was wrong or the players were not properly implementing it is not clear (and never will be to anyone that was not at training).

You can't hang the consequences of those problems on the goalie because he doesn't mark people. A basic stat like save percentage does not understand that by its nature; all it knows are shots on goal and goals allowed. Like a score on a golf hole on the scorecard, it's a number rather than a story.

More advanced stats such as goals saved above replacement try to address problems like this by accounting for where shots come from. They do not do a perfect job. I would think that two data points: location of shot and location of goalie, plus a little geometry could do better. But then, I haven't tried to fit an estimation model to the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.