2019/20 Jordan Pickford

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not really when you consider the data that emerged a few weeks ago that says the chances we give up are on average (by quite a significant margin from 3rd iirc) the 2nd best “quality” of chances of any team in the league.

We give up fewer goalscoring chances than all but 4 sides, but when we do, they’re chances that are much much easier than anyone else’s... so with that in mind, Pickford’s save ratio is bound to be lower than it would be if we were giving up a more “normal” distribution of chances.

However, if you take a completely different data set (XAG - XG against) and look at that V's actual goals conceded, which takes into account your argument (the difficulty of chances), the stats still show Pickford is massively under performing (4th worst in the league). So two completely different data sets, both measuring all keepers against each other both show Pickford as the 15th & 16th worst keeper in the league.

Yes, they aren't 100% accurate & there are holes in both, but Pickford clearly a problem. Not the only problem, but a significant one

Beginning to think i am in a science or maths class room now lol
Pickford had the 2nd most clean sheets the whole 2019 [or close to it] and is by the top again this season, i think that says it all, no matter what the keeper experts on here want to twist it-if he does not kick, catch, or whatever way you want him to do it, the way you think he should so be, so be it, but his Job is clean sheets ,if we end up with another keeper to replace pickford god help him lol I only hate us messing with it at the back

Beginning to think i am in a science or maths class room now lol
Pickford had the 2nd most clean sheets the whole 2019 [or close to it] and is by the top again this season, i think that says it all, no matter what the keeper experts on here want to twist it-if he does not kick, catch, or whatever way you want him to do it, the way you think he should so be, so be it, but his Job is clean sheets ,if we end up with another keeper to replace pickford god help him lol I only hate us messing with it at the back

We’ve only had 2 games this year and kept 1 haha.

I think there is a lack of top keepers around at the moment, the reason why Pickford is Englands No 1 is down to the competition. I was at the Man Utd game recently in the home end and the bloke behind me was constantly slagging off DeGea moaning that he's a shadow of the keeper he used to be and they are stuck with him for 3 years due to the massive wages they pay. He even said he'd do a straight swap for Pickford!

However, if you take a completely different data set (XAG - XG against) and look at that V's actual goals conceded, which takes into account your argument (the difficulty of chances), the stats still show Pickford is massively under performing (4th worst in the league). So two completely different data sets, both measuring all keepers against each other both show Pickford as the 15th & 16th worst keeper in the league.

Yes, they aren't 100% accurate & there are holes in both, but Pickford clearly a problem. Not the only problem, but a significant one

It's not all Pickford's fault, but there is a significant amount of data that suggests he is not very good at saving shots, which remains the core role of a Keeper, despite the increased need to a quarterback / distributor of the ball.

Pickford has an average save % of .632 this season, the 15th worst (of 19 who have 1000 mins or more) in PL, that is based on 87 shots on target conceded this season. Should we have a keeper delivering an "Average" save % of 0.701, based on the 19 keepers, you are talking about 6 goals less conceded; which weighted over the entire season would be 10.36 goals.

That is a massive shift in your defense.

If he wasn't English and somewhat immune to national criticism as a result, he would be a championship keeper know for pulling off the odd worldy
Possible the most Yank post I've ever seen

I am working up a chant to let Pickford know he is loved. Oh!!! Picky Picky; Picky Picky Picky Pickford. Can't quite get the rhythm right. Pickerford would have finished it off. You all know the tune

I am working up a chant to let Pickford know he is loved. Oh!!! Picky Picky; Picky Picky Picky Pickford. Can't quite get the rhythm right. Pickerford would have finished it off. You all know the tune
Nonsense! Surely nothing would stir young Pickford into a great performance like the National Anthem of Jordan?

Long live the King!
Long live the King!
His position sublime,
His banners waving in glory supreme.

We achieved our goal,
On the day you revived for us,
A revolution gives us our motivation!
Flying over the shoulders of the highest comets.

Chorus:
O king of Arabs,
From the best prophet you have.
The honour of dynasty,
Talked about in the depths of books!

All the youthful men,
Are your armed armies
His determination never dies out!
Getting from your meaning a symbol of well-being!

Chorus

May you stay the light and the guide,
A master in being away of all sins and wrong-doing,
Living your life happily and well-respected!
Under your flying flag rests the glory of all Arabs.

Chorus

Status
Not open for further replies.