2018/19 Jordan Pickford

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is what you want. Goalkeepers are like prize figthers - you need unshakeable mental belief to even get into the ring. You have to essentially believe you are unbeatable and basically be a little bit crazy to want to even do it in the first place.
Goalkeepers are like prize fighters?
They really arnt. I know youre talking about mentality, but thats a terrible comparison.

Goalkeepers are like prize fighters?
They really arnt. I know youre talking about mentality, but thats a terrible comparison.

I should have qualified that by saying 'Top Goalkeepers'. Obviously you can't compare the likes of Scott Carson to a trained figther (well maybe to David Price..), but I think top keepers share some characteristics. They need to be brave, tough and incredibly confident as they face the prospect of humiliation every time they perform. A moments doubt or hesitation can cost them completely and when it does they need the mental strength and self belief to bounce back and still believe they are unbeatable. In terms of mentality, I am referring to how they view themselves - with unshakeable self belief.

It's not a question of whether boxers are tougher, of course they are, but the goalkeeper is the loneliest and most pressured position on the pitch and to deal with that 'keepers often adopt a similar mentality. You wouldn't want your fighter stepping into the ring thinking they were going to lose, just as you wouldn't want your keeper going onto the pitch thinking they were going to concede!

Jordan has been good in the last few games, long may it continue...

Has shown his class lately & been impressive...

He has been a vital part of our recent good form & will be an important factor if we are to continue to improve...

However it should still not mask the fact that he is by far from the finished article & needs to practice on his weaknesses & mature as a solid & reliable keeper....

If he can continue to improve & mature we will have a fantastic keeper...

We already have a fantastic keeper in him.

I should have qualified that by saying 'Top Goalkeepers'. Obviously you can't compare the likes of Scott Carson to a trained figther (well maybe to David Price..), but I think top keepers share some characteristics. They need to be brave, tough and incredibly confident as they face the prospect of humiliation every time they perform. A moments doubt or hesitation can cost them completely and when it does they need the mental strength and self belief to bounce back and still believe they are unbeatable. In terms of mentality, I am referring to how they view themselves - with unshakeable self belief.

It's not a question of whether boxers are tougher, of course they are, but the goalkeeper is the loneliest and most pressured position on the pitch and to deal with that 'keepers often adopt a similar mentality. You wouldn't want your fighter stepping into the ring thinking they were going to lose, just as you wouldn't want your keeper going onto the pitch thinking they were going to concede!
The end result of a keeper not doing his job versus a fighter not doing it is so vastly different, that them having a similar mentality wouldnt make sense. Being humiliated by letting in a goal isnt the same as getting brain damage. The latter is so more much severe, and the mindsets of pro fighters usually reflect that.
I get where youre coming from tho’

There are only a few US players that should really be on the pitch. It will be an interesting few years for the US side.
I disagree, I think it's close to their best side. Not sure who else would be in there. Tyler Adams should probably play ahead of Wil Trapp. Josh Sargent could certainly play ahead of Bobby Wood - maybe Altidore and some others as well. Pulisic will normally play the 10 and they'll put someone else out wide, but left back is a hole and not sure who else is there. Steffen is probably the keeper.

I disagree, I think it's close to their best side. Not sure who else would be in there. Tyler Adams should probably play ahead of Wil Trapp. Josh Sargent could certainly play ahead of Bobby Wood - maybe Altidore and some others as well. Pulisic will normally play the 10 and they'll put someone else out wide, but left back is a hole and not sure who else is there. Steffen is probably the keeper.
Oh, I agree, it's close to the US' best side at the moment - but I was speaking a little more theoretically of the quality the US should have - the US will have to be individually much stronger to qualify and compete in 2022. And in a nation of 330 million, you'd think.....

Status
Not open for further replies.