Confirmed Signing Jonas Lossl

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's like this really, they have identified they want another keeper.

I don't think there are a glut of them out there with requisite experience willing to be 2nd choice, and of those that are, quality must surely be very hard to find.

Besides that, it's not a priority area to strengthen and I don't think they want any budget resources diverted to it, other than the minimum.

I assume he'll be ok if he signs without having any ideas that we are getting anything better.

This. What's the point of having someone who is supposed to be talented and then don't give them a chance to get near the 1st team. He better be going on loan somewhere to either prove he is good enough or increase value so he can be sold if we get Jonas. Else it is a waste of wages.

he definitely needs a loan for a season or 2, no one is gonna stick a 20 yr old keeper on in the PL with absolutely no previous mens football before. even that irish kid bournemouth had in goal for last couple of games spend a season in non-league football first.

This. What's the point of having someone who is supposed to be talented and then don't give them a chance to get near the 1st team. He better be going on loan somewhere to either prove he is good enough or increase value so he can be sold if we get Jonas. Else it is a waste of wages.
I understand what you are saying and your backing of Virginia, but I think the young lad is very well regarded by Silva and Brands and his career will not suffer under them, he will be well looked after by them and I will support whatever they decide for him.

Not particularly bothered by this one way or another.

Moyes had a revolving door of second choice goalkeepers whilst he had a clear and established number one in Tim Howard.

Brands and Silva will have weighed it up and likely feel that a year out on loan, playing regularly will benefit Virgina more than sitting on the bench behind Pickford. Stekelenburg has one more season on his contract too to be third choice until he comes back.

They like working with three keepers in the first team squad and Lossl is free and has been playing in the Premier League for two years. What better quality keeper are we going to be able to bring in to understudy for Pickford? Not even all of the Sky 6 sides have two top keepers.
Genuinely, Mignolet is appalling. He's Claudio Bravo bad when it comes to actually stopping the ball going in the net.

Gazzaniga, every time I've seen him, whether for Spurs or Southampton, is so so bad.

Vorm I've always rated actually. Cabby agreed is a good second choice.

But generally speaking, number 2s in the PL ate nowhere near the level of the number 1 because there's very little rotation.
Other than Cech/Leno, none of them are top keepers though are they? Don't get me wrong, they're probably all better than Lossl but the point is that they haven't got a second choice who's anywhere near as good as their first choice. I don't think we're likely to attract a keeper of Pickford's level to play understudy to him.
I mean they are all average and the only good back up keeper from the top 6 ( romero from united ) you missed out

I agree with all of you.

Mingolet or all the banter, isn't absolutely atrocious at all. All of those listed are superb back up goalkeepers and arguably could be No 1 for a number of decent clubs across Europe.

The point I'm trying to make is, we need better competition for Pickford. A bang average goalie isn't going to challenge Pickford and allow him to become a better player.

"The Red Devils did not take long to make the breakthrough, with McTominay’s effort somehow finding its way in after some bizarre goalkeeping from Huddersfield’s Jonas Lossl"
No thanks,we've got one already.

It makes sense to have a back up goalkeeper who has a bit of experience. In his first season at Huddersfield he did well. last season not so much but then again there's only a certain amount you can do as a goalkeeper when the rest of the team aren't giving you any support.

Realistically Everton aren't in a position where we could attract two top/decent goalkeepers at one time.

I agree with all of you.

Mingolet or all the banter, isn't absolutely atrocious at all. All of those listed are superb back up goalkeepers and arguably could be No 1 for a number of decent clubs across Europe.

The point I'm trying to make is, we need better competition for Pickford. A bang average goalie isn't going to challenge Pickford and allow him to become a better player.

....And a top one isn't going to come to sit on the bench

Only the top teams can warrant that kind of luxury

Status
Not open for further replies.