Johnny Keating - Z Cars composer

Status
Not open for further replies.
“One of the things my father was most proud of was the fact that Everton ran out to his version of Z-Cars,” Johnny’s son, Martin, said.

The Z-Cars theme was arranged by Keating, but the tune belongs to an old folk song collected in Liverpool by Frank Kidson as long ago as 1890. It could even have been sung when Everton was founded in 1878.

Johnny Todd, he took a notion
For to cross the ocean wide
And he's left his own true love behind him
Walking by the Liverpool tide

Fritz Spiegl - principal flautist with the Liverpool Philharmonic Orchestre - came across it while compiling his Liverpool Music Book. He and his first wife, the composer and harpsichordist Bridget Fry, made an arrangement which was eventually recorded by the Liverpool Music Group, conducted by Spiegl himself.

Fritz Spiegl was also the editor of Lern Yerself Scouse.

The original Z-Cars theme played at Everton was a more sedate fluted version - the effect aimed at was that of the fife and drum band playing in an Orange Day parade. Johnny Keating recorded a more punchy version aimed at the pop charts with some nice saxophone – it was a hit. Everton adopted the punchy version, as did the TV series.

Everton is neither a Protestant nor Catholic club, and never has been.

Do not open that debate, it ends in more tears than the board thread.

That is an order to all.

*calls Richard Dawkins....

“One of the things my father was most proud of was the fact that Everton ran out to his version of Z-Cars,” Johnny’s son, Martin, said.

The Z-Cars theme was arranged by Keating, but the tune belongs to an old folk song collected in Liverpool by Frank Kidson as long ago as 1890. It could even have been sung when Everton was founded in 1878.

Johnny Todd, he took a notion
For to cross the ocean wide
And he's left his own true love behind him
Walking by the Liverpool tide

Fritz Spiegl - principal flautist with the Liverpool Philharmonic Orchestre - came across it while compiling his Liverpool Music Book. He and his first wife, the composer and harpsichordist Bridget Fry, made an arrangement which was eventually recorded by the Liverpool Music Group, conducted by Spiegl himself.

Fritz Spiegl was also the editor of Lern Yerself Scouse.

The original Z-Cars theme played at Everton was a more sedate fluted version - the effect aimed at was that of the fife and drum band playing in an Orange Day parade. Johnny Keating recorded a more punchy version aimed at the pop charts with some nice saxophone – it was a hit. Everton adopted the punchy version, as did the TV series.

....and Watford.

Everton is neither a Protestant nor Catholic club, and never has been.

Do not open that debate, it ends in more tears than the board thread.

That is an order to all.

*calls Richard Dawkins....
If you know your history we started as a church Methodist team, the link to the catholic faith is only because in very much later years the Everton area and surround were mainly Catholic - nothing to do with our club, and fan base I agree, lets put this myth to bed, we have never been like the Celtic , and Rangers conundrum its just pure coincidence that it worked out that way, we were the first professional team in Liverpool and our Derby games were v Bootle FC - we were supported by a large collective mix of supporters, as it stands today!
I agree no debate get the book below and it its as clear as I stated -

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Everton-F-C...fkmr1&keywords=everton+book+away+to+the+hills

A great read of how are great club was born! up to the end of the Victorian era just as we got to rent the to Anfield running track stadia !

If you know your history we started as a church Methodist team, the link to the catholic faith is only because in very much later years the Everton area and surround were mainly Catholic - nothing to do with our club, and fan base I agree, lets put this myth to bed, we have never been like the Celtic , and Rangers conundrum its just pure coincidence that it worked out that way, we were the first professional team in Liverpool and our Derby games were v Bootle FC - we were supported by a large collective mix of supporters, as it stands today!
I agree no debate get the book below and it its as clear as I stated -

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Everton-F-C...fkmr1&keywords=everton+book+away+to+the+hills

A great read of how are great club was born! up to the end of the Victorian era just as we got to rent the to Anfield running track stadia !
Smashing - let's leave it at that.

Status
Not open for further replies.