John Stones

Status
Not open for further replies.
So thing is right and this is a spoiler alert, he’s not very good. Massively overrated at Everton, massively overpriced by City then topped out as the bang average player he was meant to be.

it’s all well and good being able to dribble and pass a bit (I’d expect any professional footballer to do that) but a basic lack of understanding for defending is criminal for our and Man City’s level

Stones is a very good player...hes only 25 as well...

If we were in Europe and needed 4 CBs then Holgate, Mina, Gabriel and Stones would be an exceptional selection to have.

Im just hoping we can get Gabriel and move Keane on for similar money ;)
He's okay at best and very liable to a easy mistake due to how relaxed he plays. Wouldn't go near him personally.

Decent on the ball and that's about it. He's essentially a DM playing CB, except he's also not very good at DM. Positional sense is very average. He'll end up at a club like West Ham or Villa.

He'd be best suited in a foreign league for a big club, where he doesn't have to do any defending and just bring the ball out to the half way.

Stones is a very good player...hes only 25 as well...

If we were in Europe and needed 4 CBs then Holgate, Mina, Gabriel and Stones would be an exceptional selection to have.

Im just hoping we can get Gabriel and move Keane on for similar money ;)

Im still a big Stones fan and he would be a brilliant acquisition. Class is permanent !

We have to get value for money in the next window, we have wasted far too much on transfer fees and wages over the past while. I cannot see Stones being good value, the fee will be high and his wages will be at the top end. I think we can do better. He is a good player but not a great one.

Decent on the ball and that's about it. He's essentially a DM playing CB, except he's also not very good at DM. Positional sense is very average. He'll end up at a club like West Ham or Villa.

He'd be best suited in a foreign league for a big club, where he doesn't have to do any defending and just bring the ball out to the half way.
Suited more to Spain or Italy were generally defenders aren't pressed as much.

So thing is right and this is a spoiler alert, he’s not very good. Massively overrated at Everton, massively overpriced by City then topped out as the bang average player he was meant to be.

it’s all well and good being able to dribble and pass a bit (I’d expect any professional footballer to do that) but a basic lack of understanding for defending is criminal for our and Man City’s level
You're right and wrong in my opinion.

Wrong because the reason he cost 45m was because centre backs are quite obviously not as calm on the ball as others on the pitch. Especially in England where all the way from grassroots most are taught to play without the ball primarily.

But is he going to take us to the next level? Can he do the dirty stuff to a high enough quality given we do an awful lot more defending than City? I highly doubt it.

As I've said before, there are thousands of CBs out there. Surely there isn't a need to bring back one who has already been and gone.

I’d be interested in a loan option but only if we sold Keane and got a new keeper
Stones and Pickford is terrifying
But I don’t hate the idea of having Stones back

He was doing great and then his form dropped off a cliff. It all coincides with his home life going to pot. Since he got caught playing away and his mrs dumped him, his concentration levels have dipped and he keeps getting exposed. Still a good player, but needs to sort himself out mentally.

Status
Not open for further replies.