John lundstram

Status
Not open for further replies.
With Gibson once again looking to be out for quite a while is it time we bring John up into the first team squad? Our only midfield cover now is Ossie we're looking very light on in central midfielders.

Isn't Grant a defender?

It's a good little while til January, I don't think Lundstram is quite ready. I wish he was so we didn't have to pay Osman though.

Where has the consensus that Lundstram is our best prospect come from? Or that he might be ready to feature for us (apart from expediency due to Gibson being hurt)? Is it his FIFA score? Or that he plays for England youth? I'm not doubting that he's ready, or that there are people on here who could give an informed opinion about him, but I suspect most of us haven't been watching the Reserves/Doncaster fixtures lately, and it just seems like a given now that he and Green are our best prospects now that Barkley is established. The same was true for Rodwell, for instance, and I'm not sure too many people could really explain what he was supposed to be, and why it didn't turn out that way (so far). I wish there was more media/blog attention devoted toward scouting and youth development in the Premier League, the way there is for American sports like baseball now, though I suspect it's more a closed shop over here - it's hard enough even getting accurate numbers on wages and transfer fees.

It's too bad we're out of the League Cup so soon, as it'd be a good chance for Lundstram to get some experience, if he's ready (a la Stones). And too bad about Gibson too... he was an affordable, efficient backup for Barry/McCarthy, and we'll struggle to replace him for that price.

Wouldn't have thought he'll make the bench unless we lose another CM at this point, Osman is the first choice backup, we best just get used to it. Oviedo didn't make the bench against City and Pienaar is due back next week. If Bobby was thinking Lundstram was close to ready surely he'd have gone out on loan again? I'd actually be happy if we still sent him out this season even with Gibbo out.

Where has the consensus that Lundstram is our best prospect come from? Or that he might be ready to feature for us (apart from expediency due to Gibson being hurt)? Is it his FIFA score? Or that he plays for England youth? I'm not doubting that he's ready, or that there are people on here who could give an informed opinion about him, but I suspect most of us haven't been watching the Reserves/Doncaster fixtures lately, and it just seems like a given now that he and Green are our best prospects now that Barkley is established. The same was true for Rodwell, for instance, and I'm not sure too many people could really explain what he was supposed to be, and why it didn't turn out that way (so far). I wish there was more media/blog attention devoted toward scouting and youth development in the Premier League, the way there is for American sports like baseball now, though I suspect it's more a closed shop over here - it's hard enough even getting accurate numbers on wages and transfer fees.

It's too bad we're out of the League Cup so soon, as it'd be a good chance for Lundstram to get some experience, if he's ready (a la Stones). And too bad about Gibson too... he was an affordable, efficient backup for Barry/McCarthy, and we'll struggle to replace him for that price.

not sure why anyone ever mentions green as our best prospect. talented yes but its far from a given he'll make it as a pro at this stage never mind make it with us. hes not even established in the u-21's as yet.

not sure why anyone ever mentions green as our best prospect. talented yes but its far from a given he'll make it as a pro at this stage never mind make it with us. hes not even established in the u-21's as yet.

Kevin Sheedy rates Green very highly.

Of course his chances of making it as a pro are very low as they are with all youth players.

In the UK we seem to expect players to be first team ready as teenagers or they get written off.

Players like Barkley and Rooney had physiques of men when they were in their mid-teens. Others don't fully develop until their early 20's.

I've seen Lundstram play a few times, most recently at the U21s fixture at Newcastle, and he looks like a player who could potentially be a first team player. I doubt he'll be like Barkley where he'll be a stand out star, but he could be a solid option for us in a few years. I could be completely wrong but that's the impression I've got of him.

Status
Not open for further replies.