John Giles' Best EFC XI Post 1960

Status
Not open for further replies.
A hardy little so and so who played for donkey's years for Leeds from the early '60s through the early '70s.

He and Sandy Brown were the central figures in an infamous game at Goodison in 1964.

Brown punched Giles after a filthy tackle from the Irish man. The ref actually brought both sides off the pitch as the supporters were going mental, and such was the violence on show by all accounts.
The good 'ole Days

Also an integral part of a team that won three trophies in two seasons.

I think I'd trade my fond memories of watching Lukaku victimise the Ciaran Clarks and Michael Keanes of the league to have seen that.

Ah, I see, so the team is only made up of players who have won the league for us, hence why a World Cup golden boot is demoted behind a sexist yard dog.

Ah, I see, so the team is only made up of players who have won the league for us, hence why a World Cup golden boot is demoted behind a sexist yard dog.
When was Lukaku a World Cup Golden Boot winner, and what does sexism have to do with playing football?

Err, Lineker?
Sorry, I didn't notice that you'd mentioned Lineker elsewhere.

I haven't watched the Giles interview, but Gray seems to be regarded as a very tough opponent by those who played in his era.

I'd imagine that Lineker would have been the answer if they'd asked a centre-half who didn't like to find himself running towards his own goal.

The good 'ole Days
This is how they behaved -
1592052112583.png

1592052159315.png
1592052286660.png

Without Gray the mid 80s glory years would never have happened.
That team was heading nowhere until he arrived, lifted the place and instilled a winners mentality.
I don't disagree - he also gave his valuable advice & made Sharpy a better striker, but he was in or past is twilight years he just fitted in an inspired signing his knees were that bad he went in an ice bath after most games did very little training - but Kevin Sheedy's preferred striker - Adrian Heath.......
too short of a time to be in the all-time greats for us as his better days were at Villa when he was a younger player imo -

Status
Not open for further replies.