John Giles' Best EFC XI Post 1960

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Sharpy was not still involved with the club, I'm convinced he would have far more adulation from our fans.
He's just always been about ( rightly so like ) and doesent have the mystique of some of our other legends.
Our 2nd highest scored to the great Dixie Dean he has gone the no 9 in that era Giles witnessed......

I'd have Lukaku ahead of Gray every day of the week.

....what Gray brought to that side was as much about attitude as quality. He transformed the likes of Graham Sharp. It’s all about being effective and in my opinion Andy Gray was far more effective than Lukaku. When the going got tough and we needed an out ball, Lukaku rarely helped.

....he mentions Lineker but says he wasn’t at the club long enough. That could also apply to Rooney, yet he did include Andy Gray.

if you listen to the interview, his selections are well reasoned and a fine insight into the lads he played against. I dare say if we all picked a team ourselves there’d be major differences.
We have had some decent strikers since the 60s. Big Joe must also be worth a shout. Latchford games to goals ratio is pretty decent.

....he mentions Lineker but says he wasn’t at the club long enough. That could also apply to Rooney, yet he did include Andy Gray.

if you listen to the interview, his selections are well reasoned and a fine insight into the lads he played against. I dare say if we all picked a team ourselves there’d be major differences.
Agree but Gray was the catalyst for winning mentality throughout that set of players and brought the best out of Peter Reid particularly.It led to a massive trophy haul.

Giles was a fantastic player. I think if you were looking for a blue comparison then it would be the golden vision. Alex Young had a similar ability to pick a defence splitting pass.

Regarding picking a best 11 I think that is always a futile act. Look at Giles 11. Two dominant old-fashioned number 9's and only Tricky to provide the crosses they thrived on.

Those 14 goals for us easily make him the best striker we've ever had :Blink:
Also an integral part of a team that won three trophies in two seasons.

I think I'd trade my fond memories of watching Lukaku victimise the Ciaran Clarks and Michael Keanes of the league to have seen that.

John Giles has picked his best Everton XI from 1960 onwards on Newstalk's Off The Ball show in Ireland

Neville Southall

Brian Labone

Kevin Ratcliffe

Derek Mountfield

Alex Young

Howard Kendall

Alan Ball

Colin Harvey

Trevor Steven

Andy Gray

Bob Latchford
er no! Labone and Mountfieild, One or another. Would go Ratcliffe and Jags myself. Speed would compensate heading ability.

Status
Not open for further replies.