John Giles' Best EFC XI Post 1960

Status
Not open for further replies.
A hardy little so and so who played for donkey's years for Leeds from the early '60s through the early '70s.

He and Sandy Brown were the central figures in an infamous game at Goodison in 1964.

Brown punched Giles after a filthy tackle from the Irish man. The ref actually brought both sides off the pitch as the supporters were going mental, and such was the violence on show by all accounts.

I recall that fight.

Wayne Rooney is probably the second most gifted player to have ever played for the Eff after Alan Ball, and I include Dixie in that.

Doesn't make the team.

Lol.

Theres a reason that this Giles fella pinnacle of management was being player-manager for the Irish.

But personally I dont consider Rooney an Everton player, we never saw his best in an Everton shirt.

You've got to get Kevin Sheedy into that side somewhere.

Absolutely and even as an Irishman, Giles went for Trevor Steven from the point of view of versatility in playing right, left and central. That was his reasoning for that decision. To be fair he heaped huge praise on Alex Young as he was clearly from his generation.

I recall that fight.

Theres a reason that this Giles fella pinnacle of management was being player-manager for the Irish.

But personally I dont consider Rooney an Everton player, we never saw his best in an Everton shirt.

You could argue the same for gray

John Giles has picked his best Everton XI from 1960 onwards on Newstalk's Off The Ball show in Ireland

Neville Southall

Brian Labone

Kevin Ratcliffe

Derek Mountfield

Alex Young

Howard Kendall

Alan Ball

Colin Harvey

Trevor Steven

Andy Gray

Bob Latchford
Cant believe he hasn't picked Baines or the other "legend" Duncan Ferguson.

thinking.gif

John Giles has picked his best Everton XI from 1960 onwards on Newstalk's Off The Ball show in Ireland

Neville Southall

Brian Labone

Kevin Ratcliffe

Derek Mountfield

Alex Young

Howard Kendall

Alan Ball

Colin Harvey

Trevor Steven

Andy Gray

Bob Latchford
Watson over Mountfield
Kanchelsis over Steven. (Pains me to say that, but for 18 months kanchelsis was unplayable)
I’d have a front two of Sharp and rooney myself.

Watson over Mountfield
Kanchelsis over Steven. (Pains me to say that, but for 18 months kanchelsis was unplayable)
I’d have a front two of Sharp and rooney myself.

Not too sure he'd be as good as full back or wing back or whatever position Giles has Steven in

Stumbled upon this listening to online radio at work yesterday, what a pleasant surprise.
Never got to see Giles play in his pomp but my da loved him. Has him up there with McGrath, Brady, and Keane as the best ever for Ireland.
Not sure about his formation 3-4-3? but I liked his reasoning behind his choices.
Ball and Young must have been great players to watch.

Status
Not open for further replies.