Joel Robles

Status
Not open for further replies.

LTblue

Player Valuation: £30m
This guy looked the business for Wigan in the 2nd half of last season and did well yesterday against Vienna with 2 great blocks and safe hands with all crosses that came his way. I really like that he's also at a high level technically a la Valdes, Casillas, Cech, De gea and Vorm. Seeing as though Martinez likes that kind of quality in his keeper as well, I believe he may be taking the starting spot off Tim Howard this season with it being Martinez's first big call. I also like that Robles is 6' 5" and physically imposing moreso than Howard. Don't get me wrong I do rate Howard as a good goalkeeper, but I think Robles has the potential to be one of the very best around.

He looked good yesterday, but I noticed he was slow coming off his line a few times.

From Martinez' interviews and the fact he was given a five year deal, i think it's a safe bet he'll replace howard this season.

Holy ****...is this a thread of fans being positiive about a RM signing????? Surely not?

The lad was a snip and IMO it was a quality bit of business by RM...but i think RM is the shizzle so maybe im biased? but i can definately see him replacing howard this season. I think Howard will be our started but i think Howard will know hes got some real competition for the first time in his everton career and he either rasies his game and responds or a series of errors will see him dropped this time.

I like howard tbh, i think overall hes done a great job for us since we signed him, but it can only be a good thing that he has a young decent keeper hot on his heels.

Bit of competition to keep Howard on his toes can only be a good thing, something he never really got off JM. I don't think we should be writing him off just yet though, obviously Robles is a decent young signing but there's a lot to be said for having an experienced head between the posts. Better for Robles to have at least a season to get used to the set up and learn from Tim as his number 2 in my opinion

Joel is the permanent signing I've been most interested in so far. I thought he looked good at Wigan in the games I saw him play last season.

Howard's needed replacing for years.

If he doesn't become our starter immediately I would not be surprised if he at least takes care of all of our cup games, instead of Howard being run out there for 50+ matches a season. I am sure RM will play the best keeper but he does seem to want to at least start grooming Robles for the future. Barring a fantastic year from Timmy, I could see this being his last season for Everton. He could still get something on the market and he is too young and talented to be content being a back up.

5 year contract would suggest he thinks Joel will be our #1 for the future or sooner and/or get a big profit from a sale in yr 2-3.
Haven't seen mucha comment about the Ruddy keeper we let go who appears Chelsea bound?

Status
Not open for further replies.