JJB closes 72 stores. 800 job cuts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
To be honest I can't recall the details of the deal. Obviously if the deal involved us having space in their stores it does us no favours at all, but on the other hand if the deal was merely for them to manage our stores using their expertise and supply chains to get better deals etc. then it probably won't impact too much on us, although of course a smaller presence for them may mean they can't cut quite the same deals as before with suppliers and so on.

Of course there is currently a tricky trading environment for a lot of retailers as peoples spending power is restricted by the credit situation (although try telling that to the Kentight brigade - good catchphrase Cal ;)). I dare say that sportswear represents a relatively luxury item so is one of the first things to be cut back on when times are tough so it's perhaps not surprising that trading isn't good. I don't follow the industy so couldn't say if the troubles at JJB are greater (or less) than any other sports retailer.

Either way I suspect our friends at Wigan are more concerned than we need to be.

Dont mean [Poor language removed] really.

I dont think we were the only ones that did the exclusivity (being that most JJB's outside of Liverpool just stock the replica Everton shirt and nothing more) and there's still 330 odd stores up and down the country.

It says they're just streamlining the business, probably closing the ones down in the [Poor language removed] parts of the country not making any money, and upgrading the ones making money.

Now that Umbro have been bought by Nike, JJB can make a good deal out of it which we're still apart of.

Cant see if affecting anything.

jjb was supposed to market our stuff but after going into various outlets of theirs i have to say that they are doing a pretty crap job, most shops not even selling the 1st team shirt never mind all of the other stuff, and bear in mind that they are all local to everton i.e within 20 miles,wigan, warrington,leigh etc. hopefully their clearance place will be chocka with bargains when all the shops shut, a lot of places do have 2 stores as well, town centre and retail park. here's hoping it doesn't impact w.a.f.c. to much but is the death knell for wigan r.l.

If you see Valencia standing in front of the JJB with a WILL PLAY RT. WING FOR FOOD sign someone please pick him up.

The clubs online store is in need of a reality check I wanted a badge cost £1 very reasonable so I was going to order 2 (give one to my granson goes through to pay £4.25 for p&p I buy a lot of badges off ebay and the postage is never over £1.50 its cheaper to go to the shop.(n)

hasn't our stuff been off the shelves at JJB for weeks because we signed up with another outlet?

Whelan disposed of his shares in JJB about 12 months ago so it will have no effect on Wigan either.

Ethel Austin look like going into administration and that could mean the closure of over 300 shops, thats the only bad business news that could effect Merseyside today.

hasn't our stuff been off the shelves at JJB for weeks because we signed up with another outlet?

Whelan disposed of his shares in JJB about 12 months ago so it will have no effect on Wigan either.

Ethel Austin look like going into administration and that could mean the closure of over 300 shops, thats the only bad business news that could effect Merseyside today.

I thought Whelan had sold off JJBs a while back..glad you cleared that up for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.